• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Whichever way you want to look at it is fine. Just don't show up at my house after dark to sell me something. But to keep the spirit of the OP in mind, stay clear of my moms house after dark (or any other time) too! Yeah, it's paranoia, but I do watch the news and work in public service.

I don't think you have to worry about me showing up at your mom's house, regardless of the position of the sun. ;)

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i'm not sure i have ever had anyone come to my door selling something other than girl scouts cookies.

vacuum salesman? lolz i am sure the interwebz has put the nail in that coffin. It ain't 1957 anymore.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    When I loved in town had this DirectTV guy keep coming to the house. My roommate was the guy that owned the place. Well even after he told them not interested they kept coming back, just different people. So one day, when we saw who it was at the door. He stripped down to his boxers and answered the door with a lisp. The salesmen, kinda shocked, kept on with his thing until I round the corner with a man thong on, and in a really deep butch voice said to my roommate, what are you doing *****, did I tell you to get out of bed, get back in there I'll deal with this guy. Sales guy turned around and left without another word, and we never had them come back after.

Moral of story, act like a big angry gay man who was interrupted..... hahaha

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    When I loved in town had this DirectTV guy keep coming to the house. My roommate was the guy that owned the place. Well even after he told them not interested they kept coming back, just different people. So one day, when we saw who it was at the door. He stripped down to his boxers and answered the door with a lisp. The salesmen, kinda shocked, kept on with his thing until I round the corner with a man thong on, and in a really deep butch voice said to my roommate, what are you doing *****, did I tell you to get out of bed, get back in there I'll deal with this guy. Sales guy turned around and left without another word, and we never had them come back after.

Moral of story, act like a big angry gay man who was interrupted..... hahaha

That's funny right there :yesway:

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    Most vacuum salesmen set up appointments BEFORE they come out to the property. I did this on and off while starting out in college to supplement my part time income. Both Kirby sales and Tri-Star sales set up proper appointment times with various perks involved like Gas discounts and other free crap. And at no time are they trained to be pushy. Sure, they want to make a sale. I mean, hell, most are feeding their families with this income. But being pushy is counterproductive to salesmanship.

So if you have a salesman, claiming to be selling a sweeper, who shows up out of nowhere and is pushy, call the cops. Chances are, they are in fact there for nefarious purposes.

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    i'm not sure i have ever had anyone come to my door selling something other than girl scouts cookies.

vacuum salesman? lolz i am sure the interwebz has put the nail in that coffin. It ain't 1957 anymore.
    Heh, I wish. The 'best' cleaner manufacturers still don't distribute outside of their 'circle' (pyramid). I'd love to get a proper cleaner at just over wholesale like everything else on the net. But instead of paying 350-400ish, I politely decline the 2500 dollar offers and stick with my hoover.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Heh, I wish. The 'best' cleaner manufacturers still don't distribute outside of their 'circle' (pyramid). I'd love to get a proper cleaner at just over wholesale like everything else on the net. But instead of paying 350-400ish, I politely decline the 2500 dollar offers and stick with my hoover.

my wife likes what i give her

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    If you MUST answer the door do not OPEN it! Do not stand directly behind it! Once it's cracked, they can literally get a foot in the door (or anything else) and force it open putting you at a disadvantage at the mouth of a fatal funnel. Stand off to the side if at all possible, bullets go straight through doors and if it's a home invader and not a burglary caser, you're going to want to be prepared.

IN has Castle Doctrine, anyone that's allowed inside has a key, and I carry 100% of the time it is legal to do so. The rules for me are simple, door rings and I get the cover garment out of the way. If it's a solicitor, and they're making an honest living they can go to the next house, if they're making a smash and grab for dope money, everybody is allowed one final stupid mistake. News reported earlier this week that burglaries are up something like 58% and over 100 homes in my county over the past two months, well ahead of the expected increase that we get around the holidays and at a much higher rate than they'd see even then; attributed to a "burglary ring" that's been doing this knock and talk to find an empty house then break in and take as much as they can get away with. If someone is willing to break into a house around these parts I assume they are on meth and have a different level of pain tolerance, and if they are willing to enter that they are willing to cause serious bodily harm.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I usually have them on video first, so I'm not going into something entirely unknown. Whenever it's questionable, I have a particular stance for answering the door. I plant my foot sideways about 100mm in from the door, lean back, have my .45 ready to fire in my left hand, and open the door. "Who are you and what do you want?" They can put a foot in all they want; I'm on carpet so they're not going to make any progress. If they really want in, I'll let them, but their life expectancy is now measured in seconds. Some Mormons probably had to go home and change their underwear one time :)

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    We have gone as far as making a city ordinance for soliciting. They have to register withe the clerk, picture I.D. in visible sight, quick back ground check and no soliciting after dark. This also helps with the busloads of teens being dropped off for magazine sales.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    We have that, too. I just figure if it's not UPS or the mailman or such, they don't belong. Heck, I had my .45 out on a FedEx driver. Why does FedEx have to come around after dark with a flashlight? She apologized at the time, and didn't realize how close she came to not going home. She didn't need to know that. I haven't seen it since, but that was pretty ridiculous.

4x4

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    We have that, too. I just figure if it's not UPS or the mailman or such, they don't belong. Heck, I had my .45 out on a FedEx driver. Why does FedEx have to come around after dark with a flashlight? She apologized at the time, and didn't realize how close she came to not going home. She didn't need to know that. I haven't seen it since, but that was pretty ridiculous.

The flashlight is because nobody (businesses or residential) ever bothers to mark their address properly.

matt4shadow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Hobart
    Two guys came to my house to sell magazines. They came back that night and tried to break in while I was away. Neighbors scared them away. Now nobody makes it to my front door.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Um, no. I have the property marked for address. The flashlight was to get to the door. The problem was FedEx delivering at about 2130. I'm not in that much of a hurry; they can bring it tomorrow when they're identifiable, or hire enough drivers that they don't have to be out that late. People wandering on my property at night with flashlights are asking for trouble.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Um, no. I have the property marked for address. The flashlight was to get to the door. The problem was FedEx delivering at about 2130. I'm not in that much of a hurry; they can bring it tomorrow when they're identifiable, or hire enough drivers that they don't have to be out that late. People wandering on my property at night with flashlights are asking for trouble.

Yeah, that's asking for trouble in my opinion, especially a female out that late, alone. I know UPS and FedEx put a LOT of pressure on their drivers, but that's crazy!

abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Right out of high school I interviewed for a job in the paper with a very vague description...claimed I could make a fortune. Turns out it was selling Kirby's. The fact that they went out to the country is not uncommon. And believe me I worked many nights until 10 PM (most people work day shift...therefore they are home in the evenings.). I didn't make any money and I quit, however, I wouldn't just assume these people are trying to stake out her house, it is quite common in the door to door business what you are referring to.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    If it's a stranger at my door and they try to stick their foot in the door or get pushy, I am going to respond to their attempt at forcible entry.

I can absolutely guarantee the second someone sticks their foot in the door to prevent me from closing it, they will see the end of a 9mm staring them down instantly. I will take this as an attempt to forcefully enter my home and the threat will be neutralized one way or another.

Top Bottom