• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    It depends on what we're saying the vaccine is less effective than. Is it less effective than natural immunity? I think that could depend on how bad a case the person overcame. Is it less effective at protecting against variants? Yes. That much seems clear.

Noting its performance in the US seems important. But let's talk about why it's important. Right now the dominant variant is still delta. Data in Israel and the UK at least leaves open the possibility that vaccinated people over 50 may have a higher risk of death than un-vaccinated people. But we don't know the other factors. That doesn't seem to be the case in the US. But in the US, government hasn't demonstrated honesty. So I don't know how to explain the difference in outcomes.

But anyway, the case fatality rate from the delta variant is very low (~0.2%) compared with the CFR from the variant that caused most of the US deaths (~2%). I do think the vaccines have done a fair job of meeting expectations in terms of helping to prevent deaths from the initial variant. But also it may have lead to some of these other variants.
    I'm not going to get into the Natural immunity vs Vaccine immunity as I wouldn't have enough knowledge on the subject, to me it seems either would provide a layer of protection and that is what interested people are after.

I am saying it appears more effective than the claims of 95% that's it, not compared to anything else. I do understand that it can change with the circumstances and expect that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My question comes from reading that scientists have been working on mRNA technology for many years, and that before wuwho flu came along, using it as the vehicle for cancer was the conventional thinking.
    Before covid they were working on using it for coronaviruses too. But, if they're gonna make it into mainstream use, it seemed that cancer research would have been the vehicle. People have more sympathy for desperate people getting controversial treatments. I dunno. Maybe they kept hitting dead ends.

I know that many scientists were skeptical that an effective AND safe vaccine could not be developed for coronaviruses because if they found one that worked it came with risks too high to justify. And if they made one safe, it wasn't effective enough and also carried risks of ADE. But then they confidently announced the mRNA vaccines that were supposedly safe AND effective.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I read the study and it seems their synopsis is correct, but it's worthless for drawing conclusions such as the vaccine makes covid infections worse. It doesn't list the age/co-morbidities/etc of those that died or not for starters. And since those who are high risk for complications are those most likely to have taken the vaccine, it stands to reason that if they do catch it they would be the most impacted.
    I think if you couple that with the Scotland study I also cited (taking the high vaccine adoption numbers as possibly a valid stand-in for all of the UK) it should tell you at the very least that the vaccine is no help and quite likely a hinderance to recovery. I don't believe you could explain all of the variance in who is most likely to get sick, Vax or non-vax, as determined by who were the most likely to take the vaccine, but I'd like to see you try. Scotland had better than 90% having taken at least one dose, and one dose by itself is thought to be over 80% effective

Your seeming insistence on a data set broken down by all co-morbidities, even though I'm not sure you could characterize a relative hierarchy of seriousness of same in order to use that information meaningfully (ie: is it worse to have obesity or HBP or diabetes and statistically HOW MUCH worse), is noted

Perhaps you will wait for a twins study or one based on a 'perfect' data set. Might want to stock up on snacks, I believe it will be a long wait

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What? Look at the language of the recommendations. It's no leap at all. Show me a statement by the CDC or whatever alphabet .org or .gov that indicates they consider natural immunity from covid is at least as good as immunity from vaccines. Ever. If you can find one, I'm sure that person who said it has been properly flogged by TPTB.
    One thing I wonder is, if a person's immune system didn't make a high level of antibodies to the virus during an actual WuVid assault on the body, why do they think it would respond more robustly to an IM injection recruiting some muscle cells to make fragments of the spike protein? Isn't that same person also likely to exhibit a weak reaction to the vax? Or, if a low number of virions in the initial exposure was effectively and quickly shut down by the immune system, might those with a weak antibody assay actually be the ones with the strongest latent response when seriously challenged and how would we tell the difference? Is antibody concentration an effective measure of antibody effectiveness?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And it also is looking like some of these variants are coming from vaccinated people.
    While I could believe that a cohort with a high level of vaccination could produce a variant of concern if the vaccination is not highly effective, doesn't effectively prime the immune system to clear the virus and allows sub-clinical levels of viral load to persist (which seems to be the current state), Delta arose in India and Lambda in Peru and neither is a 'hotbed' of vaccine adoption. The only variant that might have arisen as you say was Epsilon in California and I'm not sure that isn't closer to a third world environment than we might wish to think. I believe I will withhold judgement on whether vaccines cause variants awaiting further data. It does appear vaccinated people certainly contribute to the spread of a variant once it arises

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Why did they need to roll out nRNA to the masses, why not roll it out on a smaller scale first?

What I intended, but did not clearly articulate, was why not launch the new technology of mRNA on a completely different disease or malady on a smaller scale first...
    “You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time.”

I'm guessing that, at least before it became clouded with hidden agendas, the actual vaccine scientists went after what they judged was the best arrow in their quiver

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Most antibody test only test for antibodies for the N Protein, not the spike. They did what was called an Elisa test for me. It took approximately 10 days to return and wasn't cheap.
    so i'm guessing the $38 CVS test isn't a great test? I was thinking about having, it's been 7 months since having covid and i'm curious about having antibodies

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It depends on what we're saying the vaccine is less effective than. Is it less effective than natural immunity? I think that could depend on how bad a case the person overcame. Is it less effective at protecting against variants? Yes. That much seems clear.

Noting its performance in the US seems important. But let's talk about why it's important. Right now the dominant variant is still delta. Data in Israel and the UK at least leaves open the possibility that vaccinated people over 50 may have a higher risk of death than un-vaccinated people. But we don't know the other factors. That doesn't seem to be the case in the US. But in the US, government hasn't demonstrated honesty. So I don't know how to explain the difference in outcomes.

But anyway, the case fatality rate from the delta variant is very low (~0.2%) compared with the CFR from the variant that caused most of the US deaths (~2%). I do think the vaccines have done a fair job of meeting expectations in terms of helping to prevent deaths from the initial variant. But also it may have lead to some of these other variants.
    I never realized that the vaccines could have been a reason for the other variants.

If you listen to the media, they claim it’s the non-vaccinated that’s responsible for the variants.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What? Look at the language of the recommendations. It's no leap at all. Show me a statement by the CDC or whatever alphabet .org or .gov that indicates they consider natural immunity from covid is at least as good as immunity from vaccines. Ever. If you can find one, I'm sure that person who said it has been properly flogged by TPTB.
    Won't find it in most countries. However, check out Sweden.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    so i'm guessing the $38 CVS test isn't a great test? I was thinking about having, it's been 7 months since having covid and i'm curious about having antibodies
    I don't know, I guess it depends on what you're are wanting out of the test. If you're wanting to know if you still have the same level of immunity that you had before, then it is my understanding that that type of test is worthless. I admit I don't have a real understanding of the ins and outs of it, I just know that as part of a study group they did a in depth look at me over the last 6ish months since I got vaccinated and it was not just a simple antibody test from CVS.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I never realized that the vaccines could have been a reason for the other variants.

If you listen to the media, they claim it’s the non-vaccinated that’s responsible for the variants.
    My advice would be to take everything you hear with a super large grain of salt, because there is not a lack of people making claims without any actual knowledge on the subject. Media, Politicians, random people on the internet, etc.

As the saying goes, People should really stay in their own lane.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know, I guess it depends on what you're are wanting out of the test. If you're wanting to know if you still have the same level of immunity that you had before, then it is my understanding that that type of test is worthless. I admit I don't have a real understanding of the ins and outs of it, I just know that as part of a study group they did a in depth look at me over the last 6ish months since I got vaccinated and it was not just a simple antibody test from CVS.
    When do the first clones ripen?

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I'm really just after proof that I had it and it was not a false positive covid test. The wife and I had mild to strong symptoms but the kids only had a fever for a couple days. But symptoms wasn't much different that any other virus except the wife lost taste and smell but I did not.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm really just after proof that I had it and it was not a false positive covid test. The wife and I had mild to strong symptoms but the kids only had a fever for a couple days. But symptoms wasn't much different that any other virus except the wife lost taste and smell but I did not.
    I don't know if you develop antibodies for the N Protein from anything else. My suspicion is that you could, because there are other similar viruses to C19, otherwise why would they go through the hassle of doing a more in depth test for me. Could be it was just part of the study I don't know, if I remember I will discuss it at the next appt.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    For all the leadership blather over covid I don't think anybody has had a handle on it since it arrived. Other than beefing up hospitals, respirators, and staffing what can we say for sure has been accomplished for the money spent?
    it went through a lot of sewage pipes after being flushed down the toilet?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom