Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    My understanding is that, in at least the last 20 years or so, basic training doctrine say that as soon as any LEO arrives, they are to enter and engage with no delay, and no "staging."
    That is what has come to be known as the "Columbine" doctrine.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    But the kids inside the room were calling 911 for almost an hour BEGGING the police to come save them.
    Right this is IMO is the biggest contradiction that needs sorted out.

did the on scene commander have this information or is dispatch the point of failure here?

If they had that information and ordered other officers to stand down…….

Normally I would have zero confidence that we would get the truth but the other 19 officers on scene who were ordered to stand down will most likely not hesitate to say who stopped them and why.

No one wants this on their conscience.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Uvalde police chief identified as on scene commander

The updates here appear pretty balanced, surprisingly.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    And sometime during that 12 minutes he was shooting at people across the street. And still the school didn't go into lockdown.

Yes, the liberals want to take away our guns because they want us to rely on the police to defend us. We see how well that went.

We need to revise the saying "when seconds count, police are minutes away" to add "and hours away from them actually doing anything."
    Confucius say..."Gun in hand, better than cop on phone." I literally had this on a 3'x4' sign by the road many years ago.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Talking with a Texas LEO, he was telling me that the teacher did as she was training for active shooter, she turned the lights off and hid with her students. Responding officers asked the SRO if that was an active classroom he was in, he responded that it was not. No active shooting occurred while they were outside. The BP agents who responded were part of their "tactical" team and had access to breaching tools, it required quite a bit of effort to breach the classroom door. Street officers don't carry breaching tools, something to note for future. If an active killer barricades inside a classroom and it has to be breached, how do we get inside quickly? That is a scenario we haven't seen trained for. I might have to invest in a halligan tool.
    I heard it reported they unlocked the door with a key from a janitor. Did they officially breach or unlock?

Either way, can't imagine charging through a door that you know has a rifle pointed at it from close range. Balls of steel.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    “As first responders we must recognize that innocent life must be defended,” the commission’s training materials say. “A first responder unwilling to place the lives of the innocent above their own safety should consider another career field.”
    SCOTUS disagrees. Castle Rock v Gonzalez.

There is rah-rah, happy talk; and then there is reality.

Reality is that we are always our own first, last, and only line of defense - and that we are always the real, first responder.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    They said it's unrelated. Or are you wondering if it was him, would that follow through to adulthood?
    The latter, yes. It was a hypothetical, but I seemingly didn't articulate that well enough, since a couple people have assumed the former. My assumption was actually that it was probably not the shooter, because I have a hard time believing that kind of conviction could be hidden/expunged so easily/quickly. (Of course, as said up-thread, NICS is, indeed, a ****-show...)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    In truth nothing that we say or think about this is going to have a positive tone.
    You have to admit that the boots on the ground 1st on scene totally ****ed up. Totally.
    The entire string of events leading up to the tragedy was one failure after another.

So, when I closed the 1st one due to LEO/God bashing and opened this one I have to say there are several LE agencies that deserve a solid bashing here. But for the most part considering the emotions involved it has been pretty smooth......well sorta.
    Personally, I don't think discussing the factual matters (as they become available, in their 13 or 14 iterations) regarding how the "boots on the ground" LEO constitutes any sort of maligning/bashing of the police. Reality is what it is. The police failed to act. That's just a hard truth.

Now, again, personally, I don't find particular fault with that (except the part about restraining parents trying to rescue their kids; I find that to be morally repugnant, bordering on evil, if true). Should they have acted sooner, and run into danger? Some will say yes, and others will say no. The de facto law of the land (Castle Rock v Gonzalez) says that they have no responsibility to do so.

We have a group of people who sign up to go into harm's way: the military. Police are not military. Police officers are civilians, just like the rest of us. They are not necessarily called to be particularly any more heroic than any of the rest of us, or required to go into harm's way moreso than any of the rest of us. Many LEO do, to their great credit.

I'll reiterate that what this atrocity demonstrates, ultimately, is the need to eliminate so-called "gun-free zones" - especially because we cannot compel LEO to run into danger on our behalf.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Reality is that we are always our own first, last, and only line of defense - and that we are always the real, first responder.
    How does that case have anything to do with this situation?

Held: Respondent did not, for Due Process Clause purposes, have a property interest in police enforcement of the restraining order against her husband. Pp. 6–19.

I believe the case law around no duty to protect goes back a lot further than that.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

And as such trying to take away the means necessary for our own defense, which we have a Constitutional right to keep and bear btw, is and always will be a step over the line. They have no right to deny us the tools we need to respond with for our own protection.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    One thing is for sure, it’s going to take more than threats and tasers to keep parents and bystanders out the next time gun fire erupts in a school and police are securing the perimeter.
    They will have an even bigger situation when Parents start showing up with their own firearms desperate to go in and save their children if no one else will.

What parent would’nt be willing to put their own life on the line to do so?

I would not/could not hesitate.

Last edited:

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    "President Biden and first lady Jill Biden will travel to Uvalde on Sunday to grieve with the community, the White House said."
    -WSJ

Haven't these people suffered enough?
    Must they also endure the disruption of a photo op with this piece of ****?
    I'm SHOCKED! Isn't this a border town? Oh, wait, now they can also say "yes, we've been to the border"

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Clearly there was someone telling the officers to stand down. I have trouble believing there were that many cowards with guns in one place. The LEO that I know and have known would not have let this go on.
    That's what I want to know... Who was in command, making decisions. If I find out that some anti-2A activist at the ATF somehow inserted themself, my head will explode.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I'm curious about protocol when multiple agencies respond to an event; who's in charge? I suppose there is is basic protocol but in the first few moments who decides enter/don't enter if various departments, with various SOP's, arrive at same time?
    Maybe the lesson here is - If your first on the scene, go deal with the problem BEFORE your politician boss gets involved.

I recall a few 'incidents' in the military where everything was under control until the brass got wind, then things turned to sh**.

Top Bottom