Not open for further replies.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    The range is never completely safe:)

And it ain't never even close to clear, until after the match is over and everybody has gone home.

Wonder who dreamed up "clear" , maybe when there was a muzzle loader division ?

Another one of those weirdo USPSA things (although it is a really fun pastime if you can be charitable and overlook all the strange stuff).

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    And it ain't never even close to clear, until after the match is over and everybody has gone home.

Wonder who dreamed up "clear" , maybe when there was a muzzle loader division ?

Another one of those weirdo USPSA things (although it is a really fun pastime if you can be charitable and overlook all the strange stuff).

Muzzle loaders are stupid.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Actually opened the book (occasional insomnia issues).

If I'm reading it correctly 8.3.6 & 8.3.7 , when a competitor does not present a clear handgun and then wait for "if clear, hammer down, holster" then the r.o. must require him/her to unholster the weapon and show clear.

Right? No option?

Am keying off the fact that the word used is "must" and there does not seem to be any allowance for the folks who hurry the process.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Actually opened the book (occasional insomnia issues).

If I'm reading it correctly 8.3.6 & 8.3.7 , when a competitor does not present a clear handgun and then wait for "if clear, hammer down, holster" then the r.o. must require him/her to unholster the weapon and show clear.

Right? No option?

Am keying off the fact that the word used is "must" and there does not seem to be any allowance for the folks who hurry the process.

"if you are finished, unload and show clear, if clear, hammer down, holster"

It goes back to following the directives, instructions, commands of the Range Officer. Unload and Show clear is a range command. The shooter must follow it.

If they did not satisfy that command to the RO's satisfaction, have them go through the process again. As the RO the safety of the squad, your safety and your reputation, the sports reputation is on your shoulders.

I have had that exact behavior be a point of contention, but usually once the shooter (often new shooters to the sport) get squared away they view it is a good habit.

That is a good question by the way.

cakelly1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Columbus
    I've had shooters that had already holstered before I even said the unload commands. Needless to say I made him unload and show clear. That shooter now waits for the RO.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    "if you are finished, unload and show clear, if clear, hammer down, holster"

It goes back to following the directives, instructions, commands of the Range Officer. Unload and Show clear is a range command. The shooter must follow it.

If they did not satisfy that command to the RO's satisfaction, have them go through the process again. As the RO the safety of the squad, your safety and your reputation, the sports reputation is on your shoulders.

I have had that exact behavior be a point of contention, but usually once the shooter (often new shooters to the sport) get squared away they view it is a good habit.

That is a good question by the way.

A person DQ with me because he hurried through the process and had an AD...when he 'showed clear' his mag didn't fully drop...he rushed through and put one into a wall....state match 2011 I believe..literally last shooter, last squad, last day of match. I generally hold my slide open and let the RO 'catch up' when going through the commands.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There doesn't exist a good reason for a shooter to rush through the unload and show clear, etc. at the end of a course of fire. It's a safety issue as has been noted, but it's also a critically stupid habit to automatically unload your gun by rote when you're finished shooting if you might ever choose to use a firearms for self-defense. It's a much better idea both with respect to the sport as well as avoiding conditioning yourself with bad habits to wait for the commands and obey them as commands rather than as a course of habit. That's a win-win. Getting in the habit of rushing through it is lose-lose.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If a shooter goes through the unload and show clear process and does not wait for me to say all of it and I am seeing it all happen. I don't care. If I see the hammer go down. I do not make someone go back and show me the chamber was clear. I know it was because the hammer dropped. If it was not clear at the point we would be calling the RM for the DQ. My level of being satisfied is different that some.

All the points about rushing through USC are duly noted and agree with.

I might add if as the RO I was not watching the shooters gun through USC; what was I doing? My job is to watch the gun.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If a shooter goes through the unload and show clear process and does not wait for me to say all of it and I am seeing it all happen. I don't care. If I see the hammer go down. I do not make someone go back and show me the chamber was clear. I know it was because the hammer dropped. If it was not clear at the point we would be calling the RM for the DQ. My level of being satisfied is different that some.

All the points about rushing through USC are duly noted and agree with.

I might add if as the RO I was not watching the shooters gun through USC; what was I doing? My job is to watch the gun.

Not the way it's supposed to be done.
    Just follow the freaking rule book.
    Learn and follow the rules or don't RO. We need a little more RO supervision.

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom