Not open for further replies.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Could be. Dunno any IDPA rules. He would say "the range is hot" after every chambering of the round after make ready.

Well the range was hot. We were using cool towels and sweating our butts off.:):

Personally I don't really care if they don't use the correct range commands or not. I know the reason for the commands but when someone is holding the timer so I can run a course of fire and have fun I'm really not going to complain about them not getting it right.
    I have gotten the wrong range commands at the Nationals before. No problem.
    I shoot at a club that has several "old school RO's" and one of them does annoy me because he won't start you until you "indicate ready" and then he says "shooter indicates ready". I have never said anything to him because he is standing in the sun and sweating and working so we can shoot a match.
    I personally try to make sure to give the correct range commands all the time but it seems like a couple of times a year I will slip and say "shooter ready" (old habits die hard)

If someone has a problem with the range commands that someone is giving they should pull them to the side and tell them in private. IMO

I also think the range commands should be taped on the timer so they are there for new RO's and those that cross over from other sports with different commands.

Just my opinion and not directed at you Happygunner and BTW Thanks for helping out at the matches you are always RO'ing or scoring with the kindles. :yesway:

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Speaking of rules . . . I only like to break the rules that will not afford me any kind of advantage. Just to be contrary.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Speaking of which, got an RO this weekend ... did that to me the whole match.

Use 8.3.4 to your advantage and fail to react to the start signal. After the short beep, stand there like a lump until he confirms that you are ready (or asks whether you heard the beep, etc), politely inform him 8.3.3 says the beep should come 1-4 seconds, not milliseconds, after the standby command, and correct the behavior.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I shoot at a club that has several "old school RO's" and one of them does annoy me because he won't start you until you "indicate ready" and then he says "shooter indicates ready". I have never said anything to him because he is standing in the sun and sweating and working so we can shoot a match.

I couldn't tolerate that one. I ain't indicatin' s***. How long is he going to let me stand there before either starting me over or getting the hint? Surely not everyone he RO's adapts for him?

-rvb

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I couldn't tolerate that one. I ain't indicatin' s***. How long is he going to let me stand there before either starting me over or getting the hint? Surely not everyone he RO's adapts for him?

-rvb

For a new guy it is just weird that in this sport some folks can't be bothered with giving a head nod or something.

Nothing worthy of twisted undies, just weird. If you expect consistent behavior from an r.o., why make him stand around deciding if you are ready or not?

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    For a new guy it is just weird that in this sport some folks can't be bothered with giving a head nod or something.

Nothing worthy of twisted undies, just weird. If you expect consistent behavior from an r.o., why make him stand around deciding if you are ready or not?

Not the way it's supposed to be done.
    Just follow the freaking rule book.
    Learn and follow the rules or don't RO. We need a little more RO supervision.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

not weird, it's the rules. 8.3.2
    The lack of any negative response from the competitor indicates that he fully understands the requirements of the course of fire and is ready to proceed. If the competitor is not ready at the “Are You Ready?” command, he must indicate to the Range Officer that he is not ready.

new guy should read the rules.
    can't be bothered? would you watch a golfer do his practice swings then just as he's ready to hit the ball yell, "hey, nod when you're going to hit it for real." Sorry, I'm in the zone at that point.

-rvb

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Just cause the rule is weird doesn't mean that the behavior is not weird.

You are standing next to a person and they ask you a direct question which is pertinent to the immediate future. At any other situation in life (that I know of) you would respond.

8.3.2 seems to give the shooter the option of responding or just hanging around.

Again, not worth getting perturbed about, I just think it is weird.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Just cause the rule is weird doesn't mean that the behavior is not weird.

You are standing next to a person and they ask you a direct question which is pertinent to the immediate future. At any other situation in life (that I know of) you would respond.

8.3.2 seems to give the shooter the option of responding or just hanging around.

Again, not worth getting perturbed about, I just think it is weird.

Nothing weird about the rule. Having to answer questions takes my mind of the stage and makes me -not- ready. Especially if the RO also likes to make up other variations, e.g. "Shooter Ready?" "Nod If Ready." "Is the Shooter Ready?" "Do you understand the Course?" "Any Questions?" etc. Sorry to be rude [not really], but best for me to tune that nonsense out, focus on my first target, and listen for the beep...

Question is redundant anyway.... previous command was to make ready. so if I'm in the start position, I've finished making ready and I *AM* ready. RO isn't to give any further commands until I'm in the start position.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Nothing weird about the rule.

Am I looking at the wording correctly?

It is my option whether I want to indicate ready or wait until the r.o. thinks that I am ready?

You're free to answer to the affirmative if you wish. There's no rule against it. (just don't be one of those guys who moves from the start position to do it, eg a thumbs up, that drives me nuts, because technically then you aren't ready). An affirmative response is just not -required- under 8.3.2.

If you say nothing, RO will assume you are ready.

If you give a negative response, RO will wait until you again appear ready (in the start position) and again ask "are you ready?"

Note that at ANY time up to the point you react to the start signal, you can change your mind and decide you're not ready. Just stand there and ignore the beep, and then RO will start over.

-rvb

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    If uspsa begins disqualifying RO s for being weird.....
    The sport is doomed.:):
    I do my best to use proper range commands it's just not that hard.
    "Range is safe" drives me nuts

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    If uspsa begins disqualifying RO s for being weird.....
    The sport is doomed.:):

This^^^^^

It is easy for someone who has run a timer for years to remember the commands(yes some of these RO's still use the wrong commands) but a new RO still might struggle with it. Same as a shooter that has shot for years makes a plan and execute's it and a new shooter gets lost in a course of fire with the pressure of trying to do it right and safely.
    If I was a new RO and reading this thread it would make me hesitate to take the timer for fear of doing it wrong and getting ripped by some of the shooters. Might be why some clubs have to beg to get enough RO's?

Like I said before if someone is standing in the rain, cold, sun, and heat to run me through a course of fire I don't really care what commands they use but I prefer the correct ones. I'm not going to ***** about the wrong ones.

This is really a simple problem to solve. If someone is using the wrong commands and it bothers you just take the timer and you run the shooters. Find someone else to run you.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If I was a new RO and reading this thread it would make me hesitate to take the timer for fear of doing it wrong and getting ripped by some of the shooters.

no one is getting "ripped." I would say most in this thread have reported being overly polite and not willing to say anything at all.

Might be why some clubs have to beg to get enough RO's?
    IMO that has very little to do with it.

Like I said before if someone is standing in the rain, cold, sun, and heat....

IMO, volunteering for something isn't an excuse to half-a** it. Those with experience should be willing to teach (not "rip") and evolve from the commands from past decades. Those who are new ROs should be willing to learn. Those who have never held a timer should become willing to step up.

I try to the best of my ability (I know, not a very high bar) to be a good RO for shooters so everyone gets a fair shake and remembers the shooting more than the officiating. I appreciate when the courtesy is returned.

-rvb

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom