• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I don't understand all the confusion on this, the law is very plain. This is a direct quote.

I.C. 9-18-6-5 Transfer of plates; violation Sec. 5.
    (a) Upon the disposition by sale or other means of a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, recreational vehicle, or motor home currently registered in Indiana, the license plate from the disposed motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, recreational vehicle or motor home may be
    (1) transferred by the person who is the current registrant to any other vehicle of the same type acquired by the person: and
    (2) operated in Indiana for not more than thirty-one (31) days after the date the person acquires ownership of the vehicle.
    (b) The person who is the registrant must have in the person's possession a:
    (1) manufacture's certificate of origin;
    (2) duly assigned certificate of title; or
    (3) bill of sale; indicating that the person is the owner of the vehicle to which the unexpired license plates are affixed.
    (c) A person who operates a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, recreational vehicle, or motor home in violation of subsection (b) commits a Class C infraction
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.6. Amended by P.L.262-2013,SEC.68;P.L.188-2015,SEC.37

I don't see how it could be any clearer. The only illegal thing is not having the title, Certificate of origin or bill of sale with you for the allowed 31 days.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't do motorcycles. But if I did, I would outrun the cops. And I gather it'd be way easier on a bike when compared to a boat, tank, or rascal!

You can easily outrun a Crown Vic police car, but you cannot out run Motorola police radios. Lots of people try, few get away.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I don't understand all the confusion on this, the law is very plain. This is a direct quote.

I.C. 9-18-6-5 Transfer of plates; violation Sec. 5.
    (a) Upon the disposition by sale or other means of a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, recreational vehicle, or motor home currently registered in Indiana, the license plate from the disposed motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, recreational vehicle or motor home may be
    (1) transferred by the person who is the current registrant to any other vehicle of the same type acquired by the person: and
    (2) operated in Indiana for not more than thirty-one (31) days after the date the person acquires ownership of the vehicle.
    (b) The person who is the registrant must have in the person's possession a:
    (1) manufacture's certificate of origin;
    (2) duly assigned certificate of title; or
    (3) bill of sale; indicating that the person is the owner of the vehicle to which the unexpired license plates are affixed.
    (c) A person who operates a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, recreational vehicle, or motor home in violation of subsection (b) commits a Class C infraction
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.6. Amended by P.L.262-2013,SEC.68;P.L.188-2015,SEC.37

I don't see how it could be any clearer. The only illegal thing is not having the title, Certificate of origin or bill of sale with you for the allowed 31 days.

Thanks, that explains what I was confused about. I would never have guessed that it was legal to do that.

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The problem will then come in when the private seller is too cautious to allow you to keep the existing plate. Now you fall into the "plateless" category again. I suspect that a judge would have the sense to void a citation handed out for no plate under the grace period but that doesn't save you the headache and possible tow fees. It's an unfortunate grey area that no one cares enough about to clarify.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    FYI I called the BMV about this this morning as I am selling my rv and a guy is flying in from out of town. Easy Ttitle, BOS and proof of insurance you can get a temporary plate for $18 good for 30 days. You should not give your plates / registration to a buyer. I will let a LEO handle that but I guess its false registration vs none not sure which would have a worse penalty. For $18 its worth it.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I called yesterday before I went in and was told the same thing about needing a bill of sale. I didn't have one so I decided to take my chances anyway. It turned out what I actually needed was:

* the title with the transfer info filled out
    * proof of insurance (they asked, and I had it, but I'm not 100% that I needed it)
    * driver's license

That's it. 5 minutes later I had my temporary plate and registration.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    The problem will then come in when the private seller is too cautious to allow you to keep the existing plate. Now you fall into the "plateless" category again. I suspect that a judge would have the sense to void a citation handed out for no plate under the grace period but that doesn't save you the headache and possible tow fees. It's an unfortunate grey area that no one cares enough about to clarify.
    You can't use the seller's plate, you have to use your plate and the registration for that plate, that is the reason for having the title and or bill of sale with you to show you've owned it less than the 31 day limit. Never let your plate go with a sale unless you live in one of the states where the plate stays with the vehicle when sold.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom