• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    So it's worse to drive with no plates than it is to pretend your vehicle is a different vehicle? Lol...it never would have entered my head to use plates from another vehicle. I just assumed that would be a more serious crime.

If you purchase a vehicle, you have a 31 day grace period to transfer the plates to the "new" vehicle. By not having a plate on the vehicle you are negating that grace period.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    If you purchase a vehicle, you have a 31 day grace period to transfer the plates to the "new" vehicle. By not having a plate on the vehicle you are negating that grace period.

OK thanks...I guess I don't really understand any of this as well as I thought. What plates would you transfer to the new vehicle? I thought you had to get new plates for the newly acquired vehicle. In my case it doesn't matter as I now have a temporary plate and temporary registration for the bike, but I would like to understand it more if anyone can explain.

I'm not originally from the US, but where I'm from the plate identifies the car and owner to the police, so to my mind putting the plates of a different vehicle on there is a bit like showing the police someone else's driver's license. I would expect more lenient treatment if I was honest and admitted I simply didn't have one.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Ok Frank, hoping to pick your brain one more time. We are thinking of buying a Ford F150 from a private seller. Can I simply take the plate off my Ford Fusion and leave it parked at the curb in front of my house while I put the car plate on the truck to drive it home? Once the truck is home one vehicle (probably the truck) will be left unplated for a day or two until we can get to the license branch. Is the truck legal as long as it's not moved until plated?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    From DMV.org

Vehicles Purchased from a Private Party

If you are buying from a private individual, you will need to do the paperwork and register the vehicle yourself. You may do so:

Online, if your vehicle was purchased within the last 45 days AND your title application has already been submitted.
    OR
    In person, if you purchased your vehicle over 45 days ago.

You may also title your vehicle by mail.

Indiana Car Registration Guide - Renewals, Online & Mail Options, Forms, & Fees | DMV.org

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I don't do motorcycles. But if I did, I would outrun the cops. And I gather it'd be way easier on a bike when compared to a boat, tank, or rascal!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The law assumes you are selling an old vehicle, keeping the old plate, and putting said plate on a NEW vehicle. Kinda like a "trade in".

The only mention of buying a new (or used) vehicle WITHOUT transferring plates, is that it must be registered to operate.

So.. bring a trailer. Or roll the dice.

Maybe slap an INGO sticker on it?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Ok Frank, hoping to pick your brain one more time. We are thinking of buying a Ford F150 from a private seller. Can I simply take the plate off my Ford Fusion and leave it parked at the curb in front of my house while I put the car plate on the truck to drive it home? Once the truck is home one vehicle (probably the truck) will be left unplated for a day or two until we can get to the license branch. Is the truck legal as long as it's not moved until plated?

I will have to research it, but I don't believe a car plate can be put on a truck.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    You can have a car plate on an SUV but not a pickup truck. My suburban has a car plate because the title says it has a "station wagon" body. It is an older (1989) one so I don't know if the newer models are described that way on the title.

We have never put any kind of plate on a vehicle purchased from a private party to drive it home. We make sure we have the appropriate paperwork with us in case we are stopped but it has never been an issue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You can have a car plate on an SUV but not a pickup truck. My suburban has a car plate because the title says it has a "station wagon" body. It is an older (1989) one so I don't know if the newer models are described that way on the title.

We have never put any kind of plate on a vehicle purchased from a private party to drive it home. We make sure we have the appropriate paperwork with us in case we are stopped but it has never been an issue.

Our van appears to have a standard car plate on it but the Pick up has a truck plate as there is an extra tax involved.
    Of course, our BMV system is so totally screwed who knows.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Our van appears to have a standard car plate on it but the Pick up has a truck plate as there is an extra tax involved.
    Of course, our BMV system is so totally screwed who knows.

I believe a van can have a car plate since it is a "passenger vehicle" rather than a truck.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I have a car plate on my pickup truck. Specialty plates are allowed on any vehicle.....car/truck/suv/van/RV. Indiana Veterans plate. Doesn't look like a truck plate at all.
    https://secure.in.gov/bmv/3040.htm

"Vehicle Types
    You may display this plate on passenger cars, trucks up to 11,000 pounds, motorcycles, and recreational vehicles."

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    So it appears to me that if one were to buy a truck from a private party seller that you would have to go to the BMV to procure a temporary tag after providing funds to the seller before you could even move it away from the seller's property, if you wanted to stay strictly within the law. That sounds rather dumb. Actually, it's probably dumb enough to be what the actual law says.

Top Bottom