• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am an entrepreneur, hopefully there are a bunch of entertainment dollars out there in the next few years. ;)
    Didnt put your screen name together with the book you wrote! Let's hope it gets less governmenty for small business owners for the next four at least!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Didnt put your screen name together with the book you wrote! Let's hope it gets less governmenty for small business owners for the next four at least!
    . Gov needs to get out of the way and let this thoroughbred race horse run again. More .gov oversite stagnates growth.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sick of winning yet?

US Steel wants to accelerate investments, bring back jobs, CEO says

"When you get into some situations where we're being asked to control some substances in water that are far lower than what nature naturally offers, that's irrational," he said."There was a point in time in the past couple years that I was having to hire more lawyers to try to interpret these new regulations than I was hiring … engineers. That doesn't make any sense."

I have long thought there is a huge amount of pent-up economic demand that is choking under oversight, over-regulation, and artificially expensive energy. We could be on the brink of something pretty amazing.

This is my employer.
    We were getting fined for "high particulate concentration", or in other words, dust.
    Bosses couldn't figure it out. We even keep the roads sprayed to keep the dust count down.
    So, the coal handling boss is in front of me, and says all the high readings are coming from one sensor, and he has a direction to the sensor (compass reading).
    So I tell him that that compass reading is approximately "that way", but if he wants to be sure, I have my handy dandy Boy Scout compass in the car in the parking lot. After making sure I wouldn't get docked for clocking out to the parking lot (the Area Manager tends to have a bit of pull in these cases), I returned with the compass.
    We followed the reading, off site, to the sensor package. The package that was in the middle of a "prairie" kind of field, and the sensor was CAKED with
    dandelion3.jpg

Beautiful-Dandelion-Flower-wallpaper.jpg

I can't remember if it was the EPA, or if it was IDEM (Indiana Dept. of Enviro Mgmt).
    But, they couldn't take the time to check why one sensor was so different than the dozens of others.
    Why, cause they stood to make $$$ making them look better to their supervisors.
    Meanwhile we had paid tens of thousand for a fine, that they didn't want to refund, because we had no proof that was the problem the week before.

We were told to install an opacity monitor. Actually, we had already installed a dozen of them on the stacks, checking for smoke, showing incomplete combustion. They worked great.
    The monitors we didn't want to install though were on metal stacks, that steam flows through. That's what the entire "Pre-Carb" facility did, was remove the water from coal, to cut down on the coking time.
    We said, the book says opacity monitors won't work on metal stacks, because they heat and cool unevenly in the sun, causing alignment issues.
    And, the monitor doesn't know the difference between black smoke, and steam. So it will always read high.
    The opacity monitor manufacturer backed up their book, and had an engineer state the same thing.
    We still had to put it in, JUST TO MAKE SURE.
    So, after thousands of wasted man hours, and losing $$ in production because while we have 10s of thousands of instruments to maintain, we were spending at least half our time on the 6 monitors that everyone said COULDN'T WORK.
    All because the government official that NEVER worked on instrumentation didn't understand why it wouldn't work.

I could go on and on.
    I understand the need to hold companies responsible, and having a clean environment. But after dealing with 3 letter abbreviation money vacuums, I HATE most of them, the EPA included.
    And if any of them show up, EPA, IDEM, OSHA, IOSHA, etc., I disappear to minimize a problem with "foot in mouth" disease I inherited from my father.
    My dealings with them have been in accident/incident investigations, and have been as minimal as possible.

Top Bottom