US Army say goodbye Colt, and hello Remington!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Bradis coulnt have sold them 15K+ nor would they have been select fire. I also have not seen a Bushmaster/Remington for that price. Delton sure. 675 is a pretty good price for a high quality, select fire rifle.

Last edited:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    And as for the TDP, Colt owns it, not the government.

That could be, but it's kind of a moot point if other manufacturers can get on the approval list to use it.

tangent >
    This type of thing happens in my industry all the time, sometimes by design other times not. My company actually used to develop products for DLA (back when we could get sole source approval through DSCP). Why develop a product that is just going to end up available for open bid...makes no sense. It's kind of a weird thing, in an effort to find the lowest bidder and/or increase supply they remove all incentive to do any R&D.
    On the other hand, there are companies like SPS Technologies that have sole source approval and have year long lead times on basic hardware. It's good to be SPS.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    That could be, but it's kind of a moot point if other manufacturers can get on the approval list to use it.

The TDP remains Colt proprietary information, but the .gov now has the ability to use it to award second-source contracts. Those companies must sign non-disclosure/non-use agreements (meaning the TDP data cannot be used for commercial sales), and the Army must pay Colt a royalty for every rifle procured through a second source.

What is the "TDP?" « Vuurwapen Blog

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    My buddy picked one up somewhere but its not a bad rifle, feels a little generic, shoots straight. It doesn't like reloads but operates fine with hornaday. He paid $625 new so doesn't sound all bad. Somebody at colt stepped on someones toes

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    That about $673.47 for each M4. Bradis could have sold it to them for less! :laugh::laugh:

I googled around trying to find the contract or RFP documents online, but no luck yet. I wanted to see what was actually included.

The contract may specify that certain things be delivered with the primary product; for example, besides the basic rifle, there may be a requirement that each rifle be delivered with a sling, one or more magazines, a cleaning kit, mounts for optical sights, and/or whatever other gizmos the Army decided should be delivered with each rifle. If this is so, then the price above (since it is the total cost divided by number of rifles) would include those gizmos and be an even better deal.

Or it may be just the basic rifle, since the Army may have or probably has separate contracts for mags, slings, etc, being that there the M4 has been around so long and there are so many of them.

Hard to tell without the actual contract documents, and those don't appear to be online yet. There must have been an RFP or RFQ some place, but I can't find it either.

p.s. I also saw that Fiskars got an award the same day for some kind of combat knife, but could not figure out exactly which knife it was...

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    The Remington award is not to replace Colt, it is in addition too awards already held by Colt and FN. The Govt has been trying to find a third supplier for some time now, since Sabre Defense was shut down a couple of years back. Aside from the legal mess Sabre got themselves into, they were never able to deliver many guns towards the contract they were awarded. The selection process for this current award had everything to do with "best value" meaning quality, on-time delivery and cost, not so much low bid. Getting signed off on an award like this is tough, meeting the production schedule alone takes most companies out consideration. Colt & FN have both been awarded additional M16 M4 and M240 contracts in the past few months as well. I attended the Individual Carbine conference in Washington DC last May and the PM for Small Arms said the Army is not going to stop buying M4s anytime soon, regardless of any new contracts for a Individual Carbine replacement.
    Could it be the Army is giving Colt a little room for capacity to make the new ICs????? Colt Defense did just break ground on a new plant in Florida.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    There's no good reason that Remington can't build a proper M4, and I hope they do. In the grand scheme of things (thinking a WWII-type scenario) the more proven manufacturers the better.
    And if they want to stash even more firearms ect in bunkers all over Country/World I'm all for it.
    Having to replace tens of thousands of rifles/carbines due to normal attrition is part of it.

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I thought Red Jacket was going to supply everything for the military? :n00b:

Nah, Red Jacket is primarily focused on AK rifles and the usa won't go there you know. The taliban might be interested, and will their current QC the guns would be like the instant explode grenades some countries use/did use, that would instantly explode when the pin was pulled, in the event a enemy seized a stash and tried to use them(can not find a link about these things, I know it was done though).

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Nah, Red Jacket is primarily focused on AK rifles and the usa won't go there you know. The taliban might be interested, and will their current QC the guns would be like the instant explode grenades some countries use/did use, that would instantly explode when the pin was pulled, in the event a enemy seized a stash and tried to use them(can not find a link about these things, I know it was done though).

Can you build a better AK?

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I believe the Remington's will be fine. Not sure why this appears to be an issue? Save the tax payers some money and still get a high quality product. Sounds like a win/win to me.:patriot:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The Army has also changed its policy on weapons for troops "outside the wire". Aircrews outside of SOCOM used to be restricted to the M9, but that policy changed sometime during GWII. All aircrews not using the M240B (as an aircraft weapon) were being issued an M4 (this meant primarily pilots were getting M4s). Whether the Army decides to change MTOEs to incorporate the M4 into aviation units, all those M4s that deployed with aircrews will need to be refurbished and repaired.

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Can you build a better AK?
    maybe, maybe not, but I have no interest in doing so either, neither do I advertise or try to sell guns or provide services claiming I can do these things, but if your in the business of making guns you should do at least an acceptable job, recently looking at some of their firearms has me wondering.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    How has this discussion gone from M4 to AK? Remington makes a fine rifle. The Army will save some money, hopefully making this type of budget cuts means less personnel cuts.

Top Bottom