US Army say goodbye Colt, and hello Remington!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Thoughts on the switch? mine, why switch when what you have is obviously working.

The switch is being driven by 1) money and 2) politics

How better to get Colt to lower their unit price on future orders, than by showing them they're not the only game in town?

A dark horse possibility could be the .gov giving Remington MPD a chance to prove itself with a large-scale order, prior to selecting them to build the Individual Carbine (i.e. a version of the ACR).

http://www.soldiergeek.com/milblog/...vidual-carbine-competition.html?lastPage=true

Last edited:

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Who knows why they are doing it. Who cares really. As long as they are made in accordance with all proper military specs and the quality control is good, they will be getting a product that is just as good as what they are getting from colt.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo

How better to get Colt to lower their unit price on future orders, than by showing them they're not the only game in town?

A dark horse possibility could be the .gov giving Remington MPD a chance to prove itself with a large-scale order, prior to selecting them to build the Individual Carbine (i.e. a version of the ACR).

SoldierGeek.com - Soldier/Geek MilBlog - Inside the Army's Individual Carbine Competition

:yesway:

My initial thought was that some NY rep managed to pull some strings and swing a nice defense contract for his home district...makes for a nice bullet or talking point when campaigning.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN

SoldierGeek.com - Soldier/Geek MilBlog - Inside the Army's Individual Carbine*Competition

This was my first thought. I have never seen a Remington M4 type rifle. I would like to see one, the make quality bolt guns/shotguns so if they can carry that over to their m4's I'm not opposed to the Army saving a few bucks by switching.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Interesting. I wonder when the master contract was awarded. I'm guessing Remington simply under-bid Colt to get the master contract awarded. If the contract has been around for awhile, and they are just now issuing a delivery order, that could indicate supply issues in the system...not likely on such a mature product, but they way DLA keeps track of their stock, it wouldn't surprise me.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    This was my first thought. I have never seen a Remington M4 type rifle. I would like to see one, the make quality bolt guns/shotguns so if they can carry that over to their m4's I'm not opposed to the Army saving a few bucks by switching.
    Well........
    Since The Freedom Group owns Remington, and Bushmaster, I'm betting that the contract guns will be Bushmasters with the Remington name on the receivers. :)

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Do they really NEED new M4's? I doubt it. There is no way they wore out them Colts. It seems like the Army wasting more money on stuff they dont need. However, I wouldnt be all too upset if they chose to replace 24,000 M4's and put the old ones in the NFA registry. I mean, they gotta do something with them, and I gotta have something to dream about.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Do they really NEED new M4's? I doubt it. There is no way they wore out them Colts. It seems like the Army wasting more money on stuff they dont need. However, I wouldnt be all too upset if they chose to replace 24,000 M4's and put the old ones in the NFA registry. I mean, they gotta do something with them, and I gotta have something to dream about.

Colts still wear out, and since there are so many rifles in the Active Duty, Reserves and National Guard, and thats just the Army. Then start adding in the other branches, and they have to rotate and replace rifles in the tens to hundreds of thousands every year.
    As pointed out earlier, as long as they are made to standards, then shouldnt be too big a deal over whos name is on the outside. The new rifles being tested for the military, when accepted, will have to be built by 3 different companies. Some of the companies dropped out when they found that out. Course, tests and retests been going on since at least around 2002, if i remember correctly. (And of course, i could be way off, Army dont always let me know personally what they are doing, haha)

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012

I sure hope the Remingtons have been battle-tested in the environments in which they'll be employed. Otherwise, that's a dangerous game to be playing when soldier's lives are on the line.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA

They'll probably give them to some third world country for free.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    There was a government snafu that lead to a lawsuit resulting in colt retaining exclusive manufacture of the m4 until 2007.
    If not for this lawsuit some other manufacturers would no doubt have been making m4s long before now.

Top Bottom