• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Roger that, I don't try to self-sensor my posts anymore because I got a warning about that. I was told to let the software they have in place do that for me, so... I guess they're alright with saying ****. Just not ****, ****, and *****. haha
    I was more worried about the "personal attacks" part then the language.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Getting School emergency people talking to me on Twitter, even the head of IUPUI Emergency, saying it's not a "lockdown", but a "shelter-in-place" situation.

Someone want to clarify? They imply they aren't forcing people to stay behind locked doors.
    Everyone on campus is saying "lockdown" and nobody is permitted to enter/leave offices....:dunno:

SCC had to reschedule our meeting with the administration because those individuals have been in their previous meeting since the alert went out.

I don't know what they think qualifies as a lock down, but that would fit my description.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Getting School emergency people talking to me on Twitter, even the head of IUPUI Emergency, saying it's not a "lockdown", but a "shelter-in-place" situation.

Someone want to clarify? They imply they aren't forcing people to stay behind locked doors.

A friend informed me that she was not locked inside but was told to stay put and that she wasn't allowed to leave.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Other than the pissing part, which was just reusing the words of the quoted post, I didn't think there was any personal attack.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Everyone on campus is saying "lockdown" and nobody is permitted to enter/leave offices....:dunno:

SCC had to reschedule our meeting with the administration because those individuals have been in their previous meeting since the alert went out.

I don't know what they think qualifies as a lock down, but that would fit my description.

Then it comes down to who said it. Police, or IUPUI.

Feel free to check my timeline on twitter, same username, and the people I'm chatting with right now.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    A friend informed me that she was not locked inside but was told to stay put and that she wasn't allowed to leave.

So if I walk out and tell them jump off, what are they going to do? Shoot me? Arrest me? Body cavity search? Just wondering. I have never been in a situation quite like that...

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    One person is asking me if IUPUI is liable for student safety... and if an adult chose to leave and was shot, could IUPUI be sued.

One of the head of IUPUI emergency told me if an adult leaves, Darwin takes over :P

another question: "Doesn't the univ. have sworn officers working there who train & exercise w/municipal police? .."

Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    Not on Lockdown...

Confusing reports about the term "lockdown".

IUPUI campus on lockdown

13 WTHR Tuesday 19th March, 2013

The Indiana University-Purdue University campus in downtown Indianapolis is on lockdown following a report of a man with a possible weapon. Campus Police sent out an alert about a white male wearing a long brown jacket possibly carrying a long gun. IUPUI put out the following alerts on Twitter and via text message to students: "Man with what may be a gun seen in lot at Barnhill & Vermont. IUPUI, please seek shelter and avoid this location." "All buildings are on lockdown. If on campus, shelter in place. Otherwise, please avoid campus."

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    One person is asking me if IUPUI is liable for student safety... and if an adult chose to leave and was shot, could IUPUI be sued.

One of the head of IUPUI emergency told me if an adult leaves, Darwin takes over :P

another question: "Doesn't the univ. have sworn officers working there who train & exercise w/municipal police? .."

Checked your twit account... That was the head of IUPUI EM? Seems nice, but not all that well informed. More worried about liability (I suppose that is her job) than safety.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    In case anyone cares, here are IUPUI's Emergency Procedures:
    http://www.iupui.edu/~prepared/_Assets/iupui_emergency_procedures_handbook.pdf

There are no page numbers, and the page "headers" are at the END of each section. About 2/3 the way down is Criminal Activity / Active Shooter (the closest thing to today's entertainment), and it discusses sheltering in place. It also mentions "fleeing", so I suppose it is OK for you to leave.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The exact text that IUPUI is sending out:

IUPUI Alert!Man with long gun seen in lot at Barnhill and Vermont. Seek Shelter
    IUPUI Alert! UPDATE! Police are actively investigating report of an armed individual on campus. Remain in shelter location until an All Clear is received.
    IUPUI Alert! UPDATE2! If you are not on campus, stay away. If you are on campus remain in shelter location until an All Clear is received.
    No mention of a "lockdown". Doesn't mean police aren't telling people in buildings to stay put. We got told to leave by the police. I suspect this is a lot of hysteria about someone who thought they saw a gun. I have a feeling that if someone intended to do bad things with a gun on campus, they would have already and there wouldn't be a need to search.

Something about it makes me hate the term "shelter". We're not hiding from a frickin' tornado.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Seems like a big waste of time. If he wasn't acting threateningly, and was just in the parking lot, what is the problem?
    It's not illegal to carry outside, or inside, but I bet you can be arrested and charged for dis-con if you carry an AR-15/AK47 or some other scary rifle inside the school.
    I would not have wasted my time waiting in the rooms. Finish the lecture, and go to the next class or go home. It's not like they can keep you in there by force.
    Actively searching for this guy across counties is crazy, for a "possible" dis-con

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I should of used the multi-quote.

D'oh! What i meant with the whole pissing part was taken out of context. I was trying to say was "sorry for pissing all over what he was trying to say by saying what I was going to say. If you get what I'm saying. Not trying to start an AR OC/NOC pissing match. Phew, that's a lot of pee!

CLR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    They were locking buildings down. They locked the doors to the library but didn't have any problems with me leaving except that I could not return. I would be pissed if they forced me to stay in the building as the first alert was almost 3 hours ago

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    They are sending out texts for people to either stay away from campus or stay inside and seek shelter if already on campus.
    They told all of our patients at the dental school to take off so we all just left too.
    Most of the LEOs on campus were just west of the dental school on Michigan at one of the buildings that looks to still be under construction. There were probably 12-15 cars out there when I left, didn't have the road closed or anything, just sitting in the right lane.

ETA: a bunch of LEOs on foot were walking around all lackadaisical like toward that area before I left. Several carrying ARs. Not sure if IMPD or IUPUI LEO's.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    D'oh! What i meant with the whole pissing part was taken out of context. I was trying to say was "sorry for pissing all over what he was trying to say by saying what I was going to say. If you get what I'm saying. Not trying to start an AR OC/NOC pissing match. Phew, that's a lot of pee!
    no worries. it was civil I have just seen members get banned before because something was taken out of context then it turns into "your momma..." insults and people get sent on vacation or banned. just didn't want to see a civil debate turn mean.

Top Bottom