• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My wife just noticed this on our hummingbird feeder. This little booger hung like this this for at least a minute. It was shaking like it was breathing really deep and fast finally flew off.

B598B26A-DD20-4CB9-AACD-A24CB5C3C4B6-4396-000004596B108973.jpg

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Seeing the feeder is clear, are you sure you/who ever fills it didn't put something else in there? LOL j/k
    That is interesting but I have no ideas.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I watched one scratch his head and chest with his foot one day. These birds usually never sit still long enough to really relax on the feeder.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Ours never do either, they usually stay in flight while taking their drink. Usually trying to keep others from getting a drink at the same time. Once in a blue moon will one land and sit for a few seconds.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Our feeder is hanging on a shepherd's hook and there are at least 3 different males that visit it and fight over it. It is quite often that one comes and perches on the top of the shepherds hook and watches for the others. He will quickly fly down, get a drink, then fly back up and perch on the top of the hook, just guarding the feeder from the other males. Up until this summer I have NEVER seen a hummingbird sit still for that long. Sometimes he will sit there for 5-10 minutes at a time only occasionally getting a quick drink...

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Cool picture. I have my hummingbird feeder where I can see it from where I presently sit. I really enjoy watching these birds, I have never seen one hang upside down.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm uploading a 3 minute video now. It did it again. This time, he was there for at least 6-8 minutes. Another one came in several times and there were at least 1 or 2 others coming in just out of frame.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    These birds usually never sit still long enough to really relax on the feeder.

I think I have a lazy female in our area. I've caught her straight up perching for minutes on our garden fence. I've never seen them perch. Sit to feed, yes. But just perch for the heck of it? Who knew? :dunno:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I think I have a lazy female in our area. I've caught her straight up perching for minutes on our garden fence. I've never seen them perch. Sit to feed, yes. But just perch for the heck of it? Who knew? :dunno:
    I've seen that at my step mother in law... she has so many and the feeders are hanging all over the back porch. They don't care if you can reach up and grab them, they eat anyway. I've watched them perch in the garden then fly over to drink

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Apparently photobucket won't embed here. Uploading it to Youtube now and it's taking forever. I'll try to get it posted before I go to bed.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    not upside down, but sitting and drinking none the less. It does this every time it comes to drink

20120822_122855.jpg

I've noticed that the females tend to sit more than the males. Kind of opposite the way it is with people, huh?

I'm wondering if the upside down bird may have been recovering from a window strike or something. Or it's really a long-nosed bat.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Check my post on page 1. We have 1 frequently perch near the feeder for long periods of time, only occasionally getting a quick drink at the feeder then returning to perch. I assume he (it's a male that always does it) is guarding the feeder from the other males that like to visit it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    From some quick searching, it appears that this isn't a real uncommon sighting. I guess they do it mostly at night to recover from exhaustion.

Top Bottom