• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Started out w/ a 500A w/ a 28 inch smooth bore barrel. 12 guage.

measured and hacked it off at 19"

IMG_1126.jpg

Set up the initial porting using my porting jig. and ported the first series of holes

IMG_1127.jpg

Normally i would have stopped there, but for this one i wanted a half circle around the end of the bore, mostly for looks. so i center puched where i wanted the remaining holes and drilled the rest out on the mill.

IMG_1128.jpg

Once i had them all in, i faced the end of the barrel back to 18.5 w/ an endmill. This leaves a nice clean finish.

IMG_1129.jpg

Took an exacto knife and chamfered the inside of the barrel, and a file to the outside to get rid of the razor sharp edges.

Then i used this tool (flash hole chamferer)

IMG_1133.jpg

to clean up the outside edges of the ports giving it a nice smooth transition and a classy look

IMG_1132.jpg

Put a punch through the lowest ports on both sides to make sure everthing looked square and even. The punch goes perfectly horizontal across (what i was looking for)

IMG_1131.jpg

then i used a half round needle file and knocked down the high parts on the inside of the barrel. Wrapped 320 paper around a hardwood dowel and sanded it smooth, then upped to 400, 600, 1000, and flitz to polish it back out so there is not any increase of resistance.

Here is the final outcome.

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

Still might cut the stock down around 3 inches and refit the pad to make it a tad shorter, but thats for another thread.

also, i dont like the original brass bead sight that was on it, and dont want to spend a fortune. Does anybody have some good low cost alternative bead (or maybe fiber optic) sights that they can reccomend.

Last edited:

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Working on that Gunsmithing Sub-forum?:thumbsup:

Looks good but I have a question about measuring for the barrel length.
    Did you put the barrel on the action then measure through the inside against the bolt face?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Working on that Gunsmithing Sub-forum?:thumbsup:

Looks good but I have a question about measuring for the barrel length.
    Did you put the barrel on the action then measure through the inside against the bolt face?

Thats the proper way of doing it, but no i did not. I pulled the bolt out and placed it where it would go on the barrel to see how far into the barrel shroud it would go. In this case about 1/4 inch or less. and the edge of the bolt face was even w/ the rear of the extractor cutout on the barrel, so i measured 18.5 from that point. Its probably quite a few thousands over 18.5 but w/ 18 being legal still there is plenty of fudge room for the ATF guys that forgot their fractions.

very rarely will i ever try and sneak up on 18 even. 18.2 is normally the lowest i go and when i go anything under 18.5 i will use the dowel rod method.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Thanks, the jig is set up to have the ports more on the side and further back but i really wanted to go w/ a look similar to a vias muzzlebreak on this one. I think it turned out really well considering over half the holes were free hand just using the digital read out on the mill and putting them where they "looked right"

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Very nice work and write up. The ports look great. I think you can just get the plain Hi Viz sights fairly cheap can't you? Not sure but that seems to be the way to go IMO. Great job! :yesway:

Top Bottom