• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Just found this update on another board:

Expulsion of Willows High student with shotguns near campus overturned - Latest News - sacbee.com

A Willows High School student who was expelled for having firearms in his pickup that was parked near the school will be reinstated and have the disciplinary action expunged from his record.
    That ruling was made this morning by the Glenn County Board of Education acting on an appeal filed by Gary Tudesko. The hearing was open to the public at the request of Tudesko's parents.
    Board President Judy Holzapfel, reading from a written version of the board's decision, said that in expelling Tudesko, the Willows Unified School District exceeded its jurisdiction based on acts "that did not occur on school grounds or at a school activity off of school grounds."

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    One more little inroad into your rights... at least this one was prima facia stupid enough to get pushed back. I've not been in favor of school boards thinking it's alright to discipline students for away from school "transgressions", even though the common sentiment has been that it's ok. It's not.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    School boards and teachers unions are some of the most dangerous and damaging groups in this country. ZERO common sense goes into their decision making, and instead of, "what can we do to help our kids" it's "what can we do to help ourselves get the sweetest contracts". I don't like the idea of home schooling, but it's looking better everyday. Glad the kid is gonna be able to continue his education.

rjhans53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    I'm really glad that they stood up and got this made right. It's a long time back when we always had a pocket knife in our pocket, were likely to have anything from a 22 to run traps with to a shotgun to shoot a few birds after school. The knives were for everything from cleanning finger nails to pealing an apple the guns were just tools we used. No one ever stabbed or shot someone else, my how things have changed

Last edited:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    We used to have pocket knives and I knew guys who had guns in their cars. The only violent act using a weapon is when my buddies GF stabbed him in art class with an X-Acto knife when she found out he was cheating on her.

She wasn't expelled.

JUMBO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When I was in school, I would to bring My.22 target rifle to school. We had a target range. although i had to immediately check it in at the barracks. I am glad that the students record is going to be expunged as in My eyes he did nothing wrong! Kids never get the benefit of the doubt, somebody always thinking its going to be another columbine!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    My Dad loves to tell this story...
    When he was in grade school, his teacher gave every boy in his class a pocket knife for Christmas.
    The rest of the story...
    Dad ended up trading it to a boy from another class because Dad said he had a better knife than the teacher gave him. The teacher found out and got mad at Dad and asked him why he traded her gift. He told her why he traded it and showed her his knife and she agreed. The next day, she brought my Dad a sheath for his knife for Christmas. :)

Kw55018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Clay City
    I went to school out in western Kansas and on any given day you could look out in the parking lot and see a number of trucks including mine with loaded rifles and shotguns in back windows and who knows how many long guns and handguns were behind the seats or in trunks of cars, until the new supper came along in 96 and started getting into kids trucks and pulling out there guns and confiscating them(he was from some big school back east) and all the parents went nuts. Cant remember ever having a problem with school shooting or stabbings there.

Indianajeff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Indiana
    That's great..........................but it shouldn't have been an issue in the first place. I too hope that file a lawsuit. It seems there is alot of boundry oversteeping lately.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I'm really glad that they stood up and got this made right. It's a long time back when we always had a pocket knife in our pocket, were likely to have anything from a 22 to run traps with to a shotgun to shoot a few birds after school. The knives were for everything from cleanning finger nails to pealing an apple the guns were just tools we used. No one ever stabbed or shot someone else my how things have changed
    thats because everyone had one and new how to use it so nobody would think to try anything knowing that. i hope he sues the crap out of the school for it.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The reason

Wait! Wait! We should be rooting to have the kid and his family slapping the school board with a lawsuit now!

There's no doubt in my mind that the prospect of a lawsuit which they would likely lose was the School Board's only motivation for dropping the issue. I hope the kid and his parents didn't sign some sort of no-litigation agreement to get the deal done.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    School boards and teachers unions are some of the most dangerous and damaging groups in this country. ZERO common sense goes into their decision making, and instead of, "what can we do to help our kids" it's "what can we do to help ourselves get the sweetest contracts".

I'm not looking to start a war or thread jack this topic, but I cannot let this statement go without a response. The following explanation may not be popular with some, but I feel it necessary to point out.

My wife is a teacher, and while she is not in the union, she does reap some of the benefits they provide.

1. The union negotiates the contracts so that teachers are not taken advantage of. Of all the professions in the world, teachers are the most likely to be taken advantage of since they continue no matter the circumstances to help the children. If people had their way, teachers would work for nothing.

2. "the sweetest contracts" ? Really? After graduating with a 4+year degree that costs over $60,000+ (not including books, etc.) going into a job that pays you ~$28,000 per year, with a benefits package that costs over $600 per month for a family of three, requires you to work 10-12 hour per day and bring work home to complete, meet with parents for conferences off hours for free, volunteer at least 14 hours per year to outside work for after school activities, and requires you to purchase all your own supplies including the paying $ .05 per copy for paper used to make activity sheets and homework for the children, you really think that is a "sweet contract"? There is a lot that is paid for on the teacher's dime that eats into that sweet starting pay that pays less than most people can make out of high school.

3. With that above information, do you think that a teacher could ever afford a lawyer to defend his/herself if a false accusation is made from a parent or child? The union offers that help.

Point is, if any union has its place, the teachers union does. They do not just take and take as some would assume, they make it so teachers can make a living at what they do, as meager as it might be. I'm not saying that there are not bad teachers out there, but you can rest assured, most are only there to help the children.

I think what happened in CA was silly, but I am glad to see that it was handled properly.

Top Bottom