• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I guess I should also point out, there is no difference in accidental deaths due to firearms in states that require training, and those that don't.

Do you have some evidence you can link to to support that? I don't doubt it, we have mandatory training here in MI, and our basic shooters don't seem any better than those in IN and I have seen a lot of both.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Do you have some evidence you can link to to support that? I don't doubt it, we have mandatory training here in MI, and our basic shooters don't seem any better than those in IN and I have seen a lot of both.

Well, of course I can't find it now.
    Yikes. I know i'm supposed to be able to back up my statements.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Again, I am not questioning you, I have just always wondered about this and if there was any actual studies done.

It was a while ago, but I remember a comparison that had data.
    The numbers were all over the place. Some higher, some lower. But training seemed to be "inconclusive" in "accidental shootings".
    But, like most things, I can't find them when I need them.

I think it was the result of someone making a claim about gun safety and training, and they quoted numbers from 1 or 2 states on each side.
    Then someone called them on using selective data that only fit their perspective.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

I haven't seen a study looking at nationwide trends but I did just read one yesterday for a manuscript i'm writing that evaluated two counties, one with training and one without and the training county did have 'significantly' lower injuries/deaths but it was a very small sample size.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have been searching for data on this but the anti gun stuff covers the first several pages.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Let’s see the last time this came up I remember the “shall not be infringed “, you don’t need a class to have a kid, training don’t prevent accidents was the general theme.

So if we require training for licensing it still would not prevent the long gun mistakes?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The answer is simple, and I can't believe no one has suggested it yet. Mandatory military training and 2 years service after training. After that, at least some mandatory reserve obligation time like 8 years.

There are good reasons why no one suggested it. Conscription is slavery, albeit temporary. Most people on INGO value freedom and liberty.

Also, people who are forced to do things don't usually excel, so I don't see a compelling argument how conscript-level training would actually result in widespread competence and adherence to appropriate firearms risk management practices.

No waivers, training for everyone. Those who just can't do the physical part of the training still get some training including firearms, then 2 years civilian service of some type. Yes, I agree I didn't get a lot of pistol training in the Army, but that was their mistake. Every soldier should have a long gun and at least one pistol on them and have training for both. I did run the .45 range a couple times but that really didn't train me in pistol use.

No ones rights are taken away because everyone gets training.

Are you joking? You're advocating conscription and asserting that "no ones rights are taken away" just because everyone has to do it? Seriously?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are good reasons why no one suggested it. Conscription is slavery, albeit temporary. Most people on INGO value freedom and liberty.

Also, people who are forced to do things don't usually excel, so I don't see a compelling argument how conscript-level training would actually result in widespread competence and adherence to appropriate firearms risk management practices.

Are you joking? You're advocating conscription and asserting that "no ones rights are taken away" just because everyone has to do it? Seriously?

Yeah thats how I read it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've received more training in one class as a civilian, than I did in 6 years in the service.
    Not everyone in the military is an "operator".
    In fact, very few are.

j2sw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2016
    Williamsport
    I agree with many of these posts here. I just want to add that folks at gun ranges can put people off on training. I took a class at gun range in Lafayette for my Utah carry permit. There was an "old guy" in the class. I think he already had his permit and needed something to do on a Saturday so he sat in on the class. You could tell this guy was very adept and very safety conscious. However, whenever he spoke up, which was often he took it to the extreme. About half way through the class I could tell the people who would have probably listened to him tuned him out. Instead of expressing his viewpoints and letting the instructor drive the points home he kinda took over and sledgehammered his safety points home. It wasnt bad information, just presented in a very condescending way.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I just spent a day educating the youth of America and running a match and this thread went through the roof. Good Lord.

There are people that should not be driving, owning guns, carrying guns, having kids, teaching their kids at home, wearing yoga pants and a number of other things. But if you believe in freedom and democracy you have to take the good with the bad.

If you are going to own a gun. Get some training and know what you are doing. If you are doing the training do a goo job.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Typical INGO thread, after a couple of days completely off the rails BUT the point about the Yoga pants is spot on Coach and one of my pet peeves. CM, if you don't have something constructive to say pleeeease bite your tongue. Now those wicked ugly mental videos :gotpics:have entered my head. Everyone, Please consider training! CM, the direction this is headed if I were you I would consider locking it down before it goes viral with yoga pants pictures:runaway:Three things that never hide the truth from you, dogs, kids and yoga pants.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member,[/FONT] Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT]

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I believe that if you're going to carry a handgun for the defense of yourself and others you have a moral obligation to seek out and take training in the use of said firearm. Lives are literally on the line.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Typical INGO thread, after a couple of days completely off the rails BUT the point about the Yoga pants is spot on Coach and one of my pet peeves. CM, if you don't have something constructive to say pleeeease bite your tongue. Now those wicked ugly mental videos :gotpics:have entered my head. Everyone, Please consider training! CM, the direction this is headed if I were you I would consider locking it down before it goes viral with yoga pants pictures:runaway:Three things that never hide the truth from you, dogs, kids and yoga pants.

[FONT=&]NRA Life Member,[/FONT] Pistol instructor[FONT=&] / RSO[/FONT]
    [FONT=&]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]
    [FONT=&]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT]

On point and taking into consideration. :shady:

Top Bottom