Unlocking Cellphones Becomes Illegal Saturday in the U.S.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Isn't it great that our government has such important things to worry about? Do they fix the budget, correct extraconstitutional overreach, or make the postal system work right? Hell no, but somehow they have time for this nonsense.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Ah, government interference in the market. Gotta love rent seekers who get the government to do their bidding. In this case it's the major carriers who have twisted the arms of the bureaucrats and got them to do their bidding. If you've got a phone you want unlocked you'd best get to it.

http://mashable.com/2013/01/23/unlocking-cellphones-illegal/

Yup, I'm sure all jailbreaking/unlocking/rooting activity will cease promptly. I mean, I don't think anyone's been able to download/torrent a song or movie ever since that ugly Napster business. This law seems very realistic and enforceable.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    what the crap. youre telling me that a device i bought, i cannot do whatever I desire with it?

THIS is NOTHING more than phone companies voting with THEIR wallets. this has NOTHING to do with piracy whatsoever. now even my freedom to tinker with MY THINGS is being restricted???? whats next, can't change my own oil?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Apparently it doesn't keep you from "jailbreaking" the phone but even if you want to unlock it before tomorrow you have to have the providers permission first to make it legal.
    "Atlas Shrugged" and "V for Vendetta" are starting to look like history channel documentaries from the future.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    what the crap. youre telling me that a device i bought, i cannot do whatever I desire with it?

THIS is NOTHING more than phone companies voting with THEIR wallets. this has NOTHING to do with piracy whatsoever. now even my freedom to tinker with MY THINGS is being restricted???? whats next, can't change my own oil?

You can change it but you will need to show hazmat credentials in the form of certifications and permits and a written policy as to how you handle and dispose of the old stuff (at approved facilities).

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I believe I just heard on my local news Verizon has given permission to all users already.

Doesn't matter to me much. I am still using the Zac Morris cell phone. ;)

zacphone.jpg

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Apparently it doesn't keep you from "jailbreaking" the phone but even if you want to unlock it before tomorrow you have to have the providers permission first to make it legal.
    "Atlas Shrugged" and "V for Vendetta" are starting to look like history channel documentaries from the future.

Whoa, wait just a minute.

You mean V for Vendetta is not a documentary?

Are you sure?

On whose authority do you make this outlandish claim?

tyme2climb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Mt. Vernon
    It seems that there will be a grandfather clause. You may unlock a phone that was purchased before tomorrow, but not after. Better drive 'em 'til the wheels fall off! I expect to see a sharp increase in demand (and price) for older smartphones.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    It seems that there will be a grandfather clause. You may unlock a phone that was purchased before tomorrow, but not after. Better drive 'em 'til the wheels fall off! I expect to see a sharp increase in demand (and price) for older smartphones.

smartphone owners i'd suppose in general want the NEWEST tech and options, thats why they like to crack their devices.

i'm happy with my service, i don't root because i want to switch teams. i do it because the private devs are LIGHTYEARS ahead of AT&T devs.
    when i'm running android 4.1 on a device that is issued with android 2.1, yeah, thats progress you have goin on there.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Isn't it great that our government has such important things to worry about? Do they fix the budget, correct extraconstitutional overreach, or make the postal system work right? Hell no, but somehow they have time for this nonsense.
    Just like creating a law that commercials can't be any more than 3db louder than the other, normal programming on that channel?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    now even my freedom to tinker with MY THINGS is being restricted???? whats next, can't change my own oil?
    This is pretty much standard operating procedure in the land of the free. Anything that isn't banned requires government permission. Want to remodel your house? Install carpeting? Build a shed? Install a swimming pool? Set up a lemonade stand? Grow natural pain relieving plants?

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Just like creating a law that commercials can't be any more than 3db louder than the other, normal programming on that channel?

They need to make it 1db! I hate loud commercials!

my phone is jailbroken, I was going to go unlock it. AT&T has been doing unlocks for awhile now.

Most of us would never shoplift, or rob someone, but most of us would download a song, or cracked software illegally.
    I think most people view their computers, gadgets, and the cyber world as a "Free for All"
    If I can get something on my computer, or modify my gadget to my advantage, I should be able to! It's mine, and I am not doing something wrong in person!
    I am right there doing it with you, but I understand that one of these days, the government will crack down. It's honestly not all that different than stealing in person, is it?

Last edited:

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Luckily I had the unlock and jailbreak programs saved on my laptop. O wait that went down too when I had my boating accident.:whistle:
    If you spend the money on a phone/smartphone you should be able to use it on any carrier service you choose.
    Just another way to take away are rights here in Obamaland!

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    1. I hate regulations of any kind.
    2. I'm not going to defend any of the wireless carriers.

Now, to address some of the comments made....

The so called smartphone that most of you are likely using is not technically yours and therefore you are already "technically" not allowed to do with it as you please. When you purchased the phone, chances are that you signed a 2 year contract to get the phone at a discounted price. Since you OPTED to purchase a product at a discounted price, you have also OPTED to abide by the terms stated in your wireless agreement. I stress the word OPTED because contrary to the popular opinion, you actually have another option. You can purchase your phone from the manufacturer of your choice and it will be delivered to you unlocked at which time you can have it activated by the carrier of your choice. Option 2 & 3 are to opt out of the 2 year commitment and pay the retail price (same price you pay the manufacture) or complete your contract and carrier will gladly unlock the device for you.

Once your device is unlocked, you are still covered by a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer. By "tinkering" with your quasi smartphone, you have rendered that warranty null and void. The thing about it is, once your phone is "bricked" there isn't a way to determine if you have "tinkered" with it and you are likely going to be more expensive than your worth to your carrier.

The good news is, if you never have to have a warranty replacement, you don't have much to worry about.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    My rates are constantly going up and I am certain that its because all these people using THEIR phones break them and then want tech support to help them resolve a problem with the phone.

The best solution though is to require a phone buyer at the POS to either sign an agreement that either they won't jailbreak as part of their contract or sign away all rights to tech support on the phone

Top Bottom