Unlocking Cellphones Becomes Illegal Saturday in the U.S.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Reason takes a look at the whole debacle. Unlock your cell phone and you could be fined huge amounts of money and do some time in the slammer. Way to go politicians. Hope you all die in a fire.

[ame]http://youtu.be/5hoUmCZjca4[/ame]

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    1. Sign EULA Contract
    2. Break Contract
    3. Whine

Sometimes libertarians really make you laugh. Particularly the an-cap/contractualists.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    1. Sign EULA Contract
    2. Break Contract
    3. Whine

Sometimes libertarians really make you laugh. Particularly the an-cap/contractualists.
    Once any contract you have signed is up you should be able to use your property however you wish. That's no longer possible, thanks to folks with your outlook.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    1. Sign EULA Contract
    2. Break Contract
    3. Whine

Isn't the libertarian the one who advocates free market, not the use of government (which would be the fines/imprisonment). I don't get your point, are you saying libertarians are against this law as everyone would be in agreement with you. Or are you saying that libertarians advocate the use of force/government (which is the exact opposite of what they stand for)?

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    what the crap. youre telling me that a device i bought, i cannot do whatever I desire with it?

THIS is NOTHING more than phone companies voting with THEIR wallets. this has NOTHING to do with piracy whatsoever. now even my freedom to tinker with MY THINGS is being restricted???? whats next, can't change my own oil?

I'm surprised this isn't illegal in California already.

Cell Phone companies were PISSED! when they ruled we could port numbers to a new cell provider....

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    phone

I use Virgin. I buy the phone outright. Does this mean I can't root or unlock something that I bought? No contract so it is mine.

Jason

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    How do you even illegally unlock a phone? I thought the service provider had to do it for you.
    Plug it into your computer and run a program to do it. The provider can do it for you, but if they refuse then you're stuck with a phone you can only use on their network. All it takes to switch is a new simcard. Now, of course that's illegal, thanks to the rent seekers and the bought and paid for politicians in DC.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I get the government intrusion and I agree that it's wrong and a waste of our taxes.

What I don't understand is; don't you just get a phone with a carrier and keep it for at least two years on the contract? Why would someone want to "unlock" a phone?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I get the government intrusion and I agree that it's wrong and a waste of our taxes.

What I don't understand is don't you just get a phone with a carrier and keep it for at least two years on the contract? Why would someone want to "unlock" a phone?
    So that you could use it on another carrier. For instance, say you take a trip overseas and want to avoid those $1000 phone bills you'd get if you used your phone there. If it were unlocked all you'd have to do is drop in at a store and pop in a new sim card that uses local carriers, instead of AT&T or T-Mobile or whomever. Or maybe your contract is up and you want to switch from company A to company W. If it's unlocked you can do that. If not, you can't. This is an area the government had no business involving itself in.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So that you could use it on another carrier. For instance, say you take a trip overseas and want to avoid those $1000 phone bills you'd get if you used your phone there. If it were unlocked all you'd have to do is drop in at a store and pop in a new sim card that uses local carriers, instead of AT&T or T-Mobile or whomever. Or maybe your contract is up and you want to switch from company A to company W. If it's unlocked you can do that. If not, you can't. This is an area the government had no business involving itself in.

I see. I guess since I have not been oversea traveling and have been with Verizon since I switched from Cellular One I didn't even know that phones were locked. :) Man am I getting old.:D

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Actually, this outrages me.....seriously...they had time for this and not budget?

I see where you're going but your arguments aren't really arguments.

You can still acquire an unlocked device by purchasing it without a contract at the retail price. Your other option is to purchase it at a discounted rate by signing a contract and then request your carrier unlock the device once the contract is completed.

As far as traveling abroad goes, most people buy a cheap phone to use once they have reached their destination. If you're traveling frequently, it would be a value to buy an unlocked phone.

If this upsets you for any reason other than the fact that the time and money spent passing this legislation was wasted money, you are likely upset because you want a contract price without signing a contract. Lets hope we don't end up having all the carriers deciding to stop offering contracts thus forcing us to pay the retail cost of the devices. :twocents:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Plug it into your computer and run a program to do it. The provider can do it for you, but if they refuse then you're stuck with a phone you can only use on their network. All it takes to switch is a new simcard. Now, of course that's illegal, thanks to the rent seekers and the bought and paid for politicians in DC.

Gotcha.

So is it only illegal if YOU do it, not a service provider (even if you leave the provider afterwards)?

I need to knock on wood after typing this, but I've been really good about not breaking phones, so I've never needed a phone unlocked. I always figured you'd need an unlocked phone if you had a new iPhone (for example), broke early in your contract extension and needed a new phone.

I thought that's why they are so damn expensive on ebay.

Top Bottom