• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Every year around this time the United way contribution forms get distributed at work. Every year mine goes straight to the shredder. Every year my boss gives me a hard time about it but nothing ever really happens. I'm told that it is "required" to complete the form and turn it in even if you choose not to contribute. I tell them that I refuse to participate because the United Way is not one of my chosen charities and I will not be forced to complete a form telling them I am giving them nothing. Usually I am told again that completing the form is "required". I have told them in the past that I don't work for the United Way and they can not "require" anything from me. This form has my personal information on it and could be used to deduct money from my paycheck if altered.

Anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering how others might handle it.

BTW, I just shredded this years form yesterday. Today a memo was distributed reminding us that it is "required" to fill it out. I'm waiting for the boss to ask me for it.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    If there are other charities that your company supports that are more to your liking, just tell them that's where yours is going. I also refuse to give a dime to United Way, so instead, I give their share to our education foundation, where I can see exactly where the money goes, and it stays strictly local, helping the kids I want to help.

I don't know how the United Way became so much the vogue corporate charity. Maybe their past CEO's have impressed everyone with their lavish offices and perks.

I've also been known to ask whoever is pressuring me to tell me where exactly they spend the money, and no one has really answer the question.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I would rather give my charity donations to Riley's Children Hospital or March of Dimes. I get a United Way e-mail once a week at work. Still trying to figure out how to send that type of e-mail straight to the trash.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Anyone else experienced this?

For me, its a website they want us to visit....just visit. 100% visit. Over and over again, you really need to at least "visit". Drawings for prizes for those who visit...and donate, etc.

I give, and have given every year for the last 18. I increase the amount of my bi-weekly deduction by the amount of my raise, if I get one.

For 2011, 50% of my contribution will go to the NRA Foundation, and 50% to RWVA(Appleseed).

United Way gets just less than 10% as I recall for "handling" the 501(c)(3) transfer. I don't like it, but it is what it is, and generally call every year to make sure the money was received by my designated recipient.

It isn't worth the grief of not participating for me - plus it is absolutely precious when "some folks" notice where the money is going.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    When I was in HS I worked at a grocery store and the MGR would say "we must have 100% participation" and I would reply "no thanks." This went on for about a month before I said "look, to get 100% you will have to fire me. So either fire me or stop asking me."

He didn't ask again. But I quit 2 weeks later anyway.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Experienced lots of bullying and strong arm tactics in the military when the annual United Way drive came around, especially after I became an NCO. I even had an officer tell me that it was expected of me as an NCO to donate. He got seriously angry when I told him it was my right and duty as an American to choose who and what I I felt it would be immoral to support, and the United Way met those standards. Then I told him that not only were his threats to mark down my performance reports illegal, they were IMHO un-American. 2LT turned awfully red, but declined my offer to discuss the matter further up the chain of command.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    We are constantly solicited for donations at my work. When I walk in by the cafeteria there are large signs stuck to the floor saying something like "just $15 a pay period can help..bla bla bla..yada yada yada". When we have our summer and winter shutdowns we have to sit thru one to two hour presentations where they are trying to get our money. I'm not against donating but I'm immediately turned off when solicited.

Last edited:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    The United Way has a really big, nice suite of offices in my building. I get tons of junk mail from them asking me to donate. I don't donate to them because it is clear that a good portion of my money would be going towards expensive offices and salaries for their employees.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The United Way has a really big, nice suite of offices in my building. I get tons of junk mail from them asking me to donate. I don't donate to them because it is clear that a good portion of my money would be going towards expensive offices and salaries for their employees.

In the army, they hit us up every year for something called CFC, iirc. It was similar to united way but had thousands of charities to choose from. Their listing had to give percentage of overhead. Ie, how much went to actually helping people vs administrative overhead. I wonder what united ways percentage is. I'm guessing pretty high. We were pressured to do CFC like people are for the united way.

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    For 2011, 50% of my contribution will go to the NRA Foundation, and 50% to RWVA(Appleseed).

I've gone through the list, but didn't see either of those listed on the United Way donation site we have to go through for work. What's worse is I'm typically in charge of managing the drive at work. I hate supporting such a lousy excuse for a cause. Last year our company gave over $1 million. I have no idea why it is such a corporate bragging right to give money to UW.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is a big thing here as well, and was at the university too. I just ignore it. It isn't a condition of my employment, and my charitable contributions are none of their business.

Sorry, but the only thing they can deduct from my paycheck is taxes, and that is under duress.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I've gone through the list, but didn't see either of those listed on the United Way donation site we have to go through for work.

It is kind of "hid' for us, a little button that says "designate recipient" that falls under the United Way (have to select United Way first).

Then you can enter whatever 501(c)(3) entity you'd like.

Top Bottom