• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Even without the future lawsuit, wouldn't it have been cheaper to put the employees in a limo and drive them to Louisville . They were willing to give four passengers $800 each plus hotel for the night and I assume something for a couple meals!?
    with all that and the cost of four seats on the next flight, should be over $5000.
    I think this is going to cost the airline a hell of a lot more now!

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Even without the future lawsuit, wouldn't it have been cheaper to put the employees in a limo and drive them to Louisville . They were willing to give four passengers $800 each plus hotel for the night and I assume something for a couple meals!?
    with all that and the cost of four seats on the next flight, should be over $5000.

Someone said that no one ever redeems those vouchers so it doesn't really cost the airline to boot them.

But yes after this guy and everyone else Sue's the **** out of the airline anything will have been cheaper.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Ah.....So you just listen to and obey people in uniform, even if they have no legal basis they're standing on?

Something something Nazi Germany something something sheeple something

"Sir, leave the plane." He leaves the plane. That's what an adult does. If he wants to take up the issue...like an adult, after that- his right.

Excessive force? Very possibly and this needs to be looked into. That doesn't change the fact that he started down the road of childish behavior.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Nope. My buddies just had this happen. They were promised a hotel, meal voucher, etc... You know what they got? A cot in the airport without so much as a blanket like they were in a FEMA camp.

And last I looked, those airline vouchers can only be used during non peak season on red eyes and only booked while you're walking backwards going north during a rainy afternoon on main street. Point being, the stipulations on when/how you can use them are so ridiculous they're worthless and don't get used. How about the airlines offer actual cash.....

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    This is what you sign up to when you buy a United Airlines ticket: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contract-of-carriage.aspx

The fact that the doc has a checkered history is at least as relevant to the news, if not the court, as a short video of him getting dragged down the aisle.

There seems to be some philosophy that when you get your butt in the seat you own it, but I don't read that in the contract of carriage -- and I have never seen any evidence of that on any airline. I have seen a couple times two people with show up with boarding cards for the same seat. Errors happen. Until that airplane is in the air it's subject to change. There has to be a way to deal with it. And ultimately the rule is the airline owns the plane, they decide who flies on it.

As for bumping passenger to fly that crew, that had to be a pretty high priority for them to do so, revenue passengers generally get first priority. I think it is a good possibility that they had to be at another airport by a certain time to make sure an entire flight was not cancelled. There are legal rules on making sure crews get rest time and in how long crews can be awake and on duty, and still be legal to fly, plus they have to be there in time for whatever flight needed them, so schlepping them on a bus not an option.

In any case, I don't see UA as the bad guys here. The cops could have carried him instead of dragging him, but the doc could have acted like an adult too.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    That's why I figured it was a wash. They were cold from the lack of blankets.....but no ebola. One half dozen on one side, 6 to the other.

Pfft, even FEMA Camps have blankets.

But I heard they soak them in the bodily fluids of ebola victims before passing them out.:eek:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ah.....So you just listen to and obey people in uniform, even if they have no legal basis they're standing on?

Oh come on man........right or wrong we comply.....then we get it put right. I grow weary of the NAZI reference.

I have had my share of run ins with the "Authority's" in this life. Most were me being in the wrong either time/place/decisions. I have been asked to move along. Guess what I did. There were no storm troopers involved.

Just saying. This country is sliding but we are not there yet.

JMHO of course.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

As an adult some of us choose our battles. Heck, some toddlers with parents that don't give in to every tantrum pick their battles too.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The nazi card is too fun not to throw out, though

Oh come on man........right or wrong we comply.....then we get it put right. I grow weary of the NAZI reference.

I have had my share of run ins with the "Authority's" in this life. Most were me being in the wrong either time/place/decisions. I have been asked to move along. Guess what I did. There were no storm troopers involved.

Just saying. This country is sliding but we are not there yet.

JMHO of course.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    After the airline cancelled our flight due to mechanical issues they told me they'd get us a hotel and get us out the next day. That didn't work since it would have had us home very late the night before I worked at 7am. I asked if instead of a hotel and new flight will they pay for a rental car and I'd drive home from Philly. They said yes at the gate, go see someone else.

the someone else said yes, keep your receipts and call this number. I drove home, called th number and they refused to pay for my rental car.

Gotta love it. This was delta though. And I stayed conscious, barely, driving home in a snowstorm from Philly leaving at 10pm.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Since we're digging up "troubled pasts"

Woman Claims She and Daughter With Autism Were Kicked Off United Airlines Flight - ABC News

C9I1Y00UIAELdE9.jpg:small

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The nazi card is too fun not to throw out, though

It just seems to be the battle cry of those who stand in opposition these days. See it all to frequently. I have a nephew that does it just to irritate me. He is lucky to live in another state.

If you read through this thread it is pretty easy to guess age groups. That is not a knock just an observation. My age group grew up in a time that smarting off to LEO earned you a tune up. Might be seen as abusive these days but I will tell you it was rare we were verbal or physical with authority's. Say what you will.
    They said move along and we pretty much did just that. But in this we were given some serious breaks by those same men when situations merit.

These days it really amazes me how brazenly disrespectful people are.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

There is a proper time to debate the legalities of the situation. It isn't when Mr. Nice Officer is giving you commands. Unless, of course, it is your fervent wish to see Mr. Not Nice Officer.

Top Bottom