• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't think we can use such a broad brush to paint with and say that "all" unions are one way or another. I've worked around some amazing union tradesman who are masters of their craft, and their counterparts as well.

The law will undoubtedly decrease the amount of dues unions can collect, but I don't think it's going to be by a significant enough amount to really matter. Unions who provide a good or service others are willing to pay for will continue to prosper. Those that don't, won't. It's the same thing for non-union firms. Union crafts do have some competitive advantages over nonunions, and vice versa. I think there's room in the economy for both. I don't think these right to work laws are going to do anything other than allow bad unions to stop growing. The way these thugs acted gives all the good people in unions a bad name and it's a shame. I hope the fat guy gives him an honest fight.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    I don't understand that do you mind explaining it for me?

I have few friends who refuse to join unions and all that really happens to them is they get passed over for promotion, isolated at work and they get a lot of grief from union members.

Mark. The company I was working for was breaking the rules allowing me to work without signing up for the union. Had the union members I was working with wanted to be a-holes they could have called me in and I would have been forced to sign up or quit working for that company.

The employer signs a contract with the union that defines all the terms of the employment contracts that employer can offer to employees. This includes only hiring union workers. That where the term "closed shop" or "union contractor" comes from all of their workers are union members. If a Union contractor employs a non union employee in a union position they're violating that contract they signed with the union. If the non union employee refuses to sign with the union, the union can cause all kinds of headaches for the employer including shutting down job sites, fines, litigation for breaking contract, etc. Usually once the union finds a non union member doing union member work that non union member only has 1 choice, sign up or get let go/fired from that position.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    The Union employer I worked for years ago Violated their own contract. There was to be a year apprenticeship during which I was to recieve no union benefits and a lesser wage. And pay no dues. After two weeks I was put in the union. I had a card. I had no benefits. I paid FULL union dues but recieved the training wage. Unions suck! Crappy bosses suck! When you combine the two, better stock up on Vaseline.

Mark-of-Scotland

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mark. The company I was working for was breaking the rules allowing me to work without signing up for the union. Had the union members I was working with wanted to be a-holes they could have called me in and I would have been forced to sign up or quit working for that company.

The employer signs a contract with the union that defines all the terms of the employment contracts that employer can offer to employees. This includes only hiring union workers. That where the term "closed shop" or "union contractor" comes from all of their workers are union members. If a Union contractor employs a non union employee in a union position they're violating that contract they signed with the union. If the non union employee refuses to sign with the union, the union can cause all kinds of headaches for the employer including shutting down job sites, fines, litigation for breaking contract, etc. Usually once the union finds a non union member doing union member work that non union member only has 1 choice, sign up or get let go/fired from that position.

That is ****ed up on so many levels.
    Crap like this is why i despise unions and would happily see them disbanded.

I mean how petty and low can you get? Do what we tell you, give us your money or lose your job and face brutal violence.
    Sickening.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    You don't think that your guys will be next?

My guys next for what?

1) we can't and won't strike
    2) we just voted to delay a 3% raise (so did the FOP ...btw)
    3) the city agrees to our contract and really doesn't have to honor it
    4) because of participation the fire Dept and Leo both bring down insurance premiums for the rest of the city employees
    5) as far as locally is concerned, you will never hear members of the 416 demanding anything

I am opposed to the union concept, however this is just another way I protect myself from the tyrany of the Government.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've always found it interesting that unions seem to be exempted from EXTORTION laws.

Being that they engage in extortion as standard operating procedure and are never prosecuted.

SOCOM242

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    The unions served their purpose, but those days are behind us. They exist now for no other reasons than to intimidate their detractors and to consolidate power.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Isn't the bakers union refusing loss of some benefits and pay what sped up the downfall of hostess? I don't know about you, but I'd rather take a pay cut than lose my job. Add 18,000+ to the unemployment line. A good number of guys from around my area worked at a distribution center and lost their jobs.

Unions served a purpose, and that was to improve working conditions. The improvements they made are now law. They can go away now.

Top Bottom