Unfair voting restrictions in Indiana. Wait! What?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The leftists want as many illegals voting as possible. They know that the illegals will vote for the party of free handouts. Everyone knows that voter ID laws only suppress the illegal vote. That's why the leftists are so vehemently against them. But, of course, they can't say that. So, they fall back on their "go to" reaction to everything i.e. call is racism.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah, that's got me too. I'm wondering if they have a supplementary method for verify eligibility. It's either that or a gaping hole in the law.

I would imagine that if one is going to commit voter fraud, that would be the easiest, and least risky way to do it. However, some states require photocopies of one's ID to be submitted; but still that's not exactly a big problem for those wishing to weaken the system.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The leftists want as many illegals voting as possible. They know that the illegals will vote for the party of free handouts. Everyone knows that voter ID laws only suppress the illegal vote. That's why the leftists are so vehemently against them. But, of course, they can't say that. So, they fall back on their "go to" reaction to everything i.e. call is racism.

Everyone?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Without an ID.... which of course doesn't make a lick of sense.

The absentee process itself has some safeguards that identify the person. When you register to vote you must provide the required ID or claim an exemption if you can't provide a photo ID because of indigence or whatever. You don't need an ID to apply for an absentee ballot. But your PII provided in the application must match the information in the registration, which required the photo ID.

To use absentee ballots to vote as a dead person, you would have to know the dead person's registration info. Photo ID makes that much more difficult to pull off, but it's hard to ask for photo ID when doing an absentee ballot.

If you're an illegal alien, you shouldn't have been able to register. If you're a felon, you shouldn't have been able to register. If you impersonate a person who has registered, that should get flagged if the impersonated person tries to vote.

When you vote in person, that's a bit different and also should require you to present your ID again. A name can appear on the registry and anyone can say they are that person. The voter ID should make impersonating registered voters much harder.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Pretty much.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Birds Away again."

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I would imagine that if one is going to commit voter fraud, that would be the easiest, and least risky way to do it. However, some states require photocopies of one's ID to be submitted; but still that's not exactly a big problem for those wishing to weaken the system.

So, did I miss something, are there some who wish to weaken the system? Would they be the ones that would cast fraudulent ballots? I thought that never happened.

You may have missed my question, or i may have missed your answer.

Please clarify, Kut, I think you are saying that anyone who walks in to the poll and says that they are John Smith and live at 26 Front Street can vote if there is a John Smith listed at 26 Front street.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Since it requires the ID to register, an absentee ballot should at least require the ID number. I don't think absentee ballots are without risk as I mentioned in the earlier post.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Without an ID.... which of course doesn't make a lick of sense.

Well, you do need a valid address, which must match the valid address for someone on the voter rolls. And your submitted absentee ballot includes what is basically a signed affidavit that you're not committing fraud.

I do understand the concern, but how would one reasonably submit ID for absentee voting?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

If you were any good with that light saber you could rid yourself of thos pesky flies buzzing around your head.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, you do need a valid address, which must match the valid address for someone on the voter rolls. And your submitted absentee ballot includes what is basically a signed affidavit that you're not committing fraud.

I do understand the concern, but how would one reasonably submit ID for absentee voting?

In addition to adding a requirement to submit the ID number used to register, since you get a registration card when you register, you should also have to submit a registration number. I think all that, together with the PII, should reasonably identify the person. I think it would take inside accomplices to overcome that on a scale big enough to matter in most elections.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

If you were any good with that light saber you could rid yourself of thos pesky flies buzzing around your head.

Oh, do not underestimate the power of the dark side of the force. Those flies are allies under my power. I can direct them to soil your cheeseburger.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Felons can vote in IN. The only restriction for that is if they are currently incarcerated.

Should have said, if you're a felon prohibited from voting, like, you know, from behind bars, you shouldn't have been able to register so no absentee ballot for you. Probably the address on your application would give you away anyway. I hope the people who process applications for absentee ballots know not to send the ballots to prison addresses.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So, did I miss something, are there some who wish to weaken the system? Would they be the ones that would cast fraudulent ballots? I thought that never happened.

You may have missed my question, or i may have missed your answer.

Uh, no. That's not what I'm proposing. One can easily include identifiers on the rolls.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    But to be fair dad said he had a decent jump shot back in the day....:)

images

But Kirk is spot on in his description...

"I know Lee Hamilton.....I have met Lee Hamilton...And you sir...Are no Lee Hamilton..." Indiucky to Baron Hill
    (I actually got to say that to him when he was campaigning on the promise "that he was a worthy successor to Lee Hamilton"...He didn't like it)

My friend is a firefighter and he was in a parade with Hill shortly before he got booted out of office. Joe thanked him for jacking up his electric bill with one of his votes. Baron flipped out on him. Obviously doesn't take too well to any sort of criticism, heh.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So I think INGO has solved the dilema.

• Make getting the missing documentation for photo IDs easier and freer.
    • Perhaps extend BMV hours even longer.
    • Require submitting extra PII for submitting absentee ballots, maybe also to include submitting a photo copy of the photo ID or proof of exemption from the photo ID requirement.

Would that make democrats panties bunch any less?

Well, since none of that helps otherwise ineligible people vote democrat, I'm gonna say panties will be bunched still.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My friend is a firefighter and he was in a parade with Hill shortly before he got booted out of office. Joe thanked him for jacking up his electric bill with one of his votes. Baron flipped out on him. Obviously doesn't take too well to any sort of criticism, heh.

I moved to Indiana after Baron Hill was ousted. I really really want to talk to him. I love talking to people who don't take too well to any sort of criticism.

Top Bottom