• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yeti342

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    I am 19 an have had my LTCH for about a year. I am wondering if I can carry in Michigan? I emailed the Michigan attorney General and after a month they said they didn't have time to answer my question and that I should check the Michigan state police website. Their site says is you have to be 21 to apply for the permit, it doesn't say anything about someone under 21 form another state. Has anyone gone through this before and gotten any answers?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    You are legal as far as I know/can find.

The only place I ever went where this was a problem before I was 21 was Florida, and while there someone was shot and killed in a gas station we frequent.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would advise against it. I can't offer up a link or Michigan state police code, but just as we have to follow the rest of their rules (ex: declaring your weapon when stopped for traffic violation, no carry in bars, no open carry, etc.), we will have to follow their policy of age requirements as well.

They approve of our application process done by Indiana State Police, but the rules of michigan's gun policies must be followed when visiting. You might be ok to travel in michigan with it locked in an unaccessible part of the vehicle - but I wouldn't want to say for sure.

apovinelli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Indy
    I have carried in states where I wasnt sure. I figured that if I had to use it, it would be worth whatever penalties there were. If I didnt have to use it, then well.....good...no problems.

The Spud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hoosier in Exile
    Sent the question to the MSP via their website. I have had good luck with the MSP answering questions like this in the past. Will post answer as soon as it arrives.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Legal according to MI code Section 28.422 (8) (a-e):

(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:
    (a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.
    (b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).
    (c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.
    (d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.
    (e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.

Michigan Legislature - Section 28.422

Yeti342

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Wow, you guys are awesome. Eight responses in less than an hour! I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out, this is definitely the most helpful forum I have been on. I will print out the Michigan code and keep it in my wallet in case I get stopped there. I look forward to hearing what the MSP and MCOLES has to say too.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I would advise against it. I can't offer up a link or Michigan state police code, but just as we have to follow the rest of their rules (ex: declaring your weapon when stopped for traffic violation, no carry in bars, no open carry, etc.), we will have to follow their policy of age requirements as well.

Following carry rules is not the same thing as using their permit application requirements as rules. The MI code does not disallow carry for licensed individuals who have a permit from another state and are under 21. FL specifically does prohibit this, but MI does not.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Please forgive my misinformation.

I spent a large part of my younger life there and never did notice a single open carrier. My assumption was wrong. Mea culpa.

Thanks for the correction.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Years ago I contacted the Michigan Attorney General about this very issue. He said that anyone under 21 who carried a gun would be in violation of Michigan law and could be prosecuted if they were caught.

Now, this was eight or ten years ago, so something may have changed since then. Get a current opinion on the issue and see what they say. As I recall I got a very prompt response on the question.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Well if they honor the Indiana permit I would think that you would be ok due to the fact that you have a valid LTCH her in Indiana.

The Spud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hoosier in Exile
    I am 19 an have had my LTCH for about a year. I am wondering if I can carry in Michigan? I emailed the Michigan attorney General and after a month they said they didn't have time to answer my question and that I should check the Michigan state police website. Their site says is you have to be 21 to apply for the permit, it doesn't say anything about someone under 21 form another state. Has anyone gone through this before and gotten any answers?

I promised I would post the MSP answer when I recevied it, so here it is:

Question: Can an Indiana resident, who is under 21 years of age and has a valid Indiana License To Carry Handgun, legally carry a handgun in the state of Michigan?

Answer: Yes. If you are a non-resident of Michigan with a valid concealed pistol permit from your home state, Michigan will recognize your permit. However, you must carry in conformance with any and all restrictions appearing on the permit. You are also subject to Michigan's concealed pistol law while carrying a pistol in Michigan,including those restricting where pistols may be carried, the implied consent provision, disclosure to a peace officer when stopped, and carrying while under the influence.

Pistol free zones:
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(o1jssx55wmbnxq3fe1zyfq45))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-28-425o&query=on

Implied consent and carrying under the influence:
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pqxhrev5ebez3q55ys1avtjw))/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-28-425k.pdf

Disclosure to a police officer:
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pqxhrev5ebez3q55ys1avtjw))/mileg.aspx?page=print&objectname=mcl-28-425f

Sincerely,

Sergeant Aimee Brimacombe
    Executive Division
    Michigan State Police
    714 S. Harrison Rd
    East Lansing, MI, 48823
    517-336-6562

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI

Question: Can an Indiana resident, who is under 21 years of age and has a valid Indiana License To Carry Handgun, legally carry a handgun in the state of Michigan?

Answer: Yes. If you are a non-resident of Michigan with a valid concealed pistol permit from your home state, Michigan will recognize your permit. However, you must carry in conformance with any and all restrictions appearing on the permit. You are also subject to Michigan's concealed pistol law while carrying a pistol in Michigan,including those restricting where pistols may be carried, the implied consent provision, disclosure to a peace officer when stopped, and carrying while under the influence.

Pistol free zones:
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(o1jssx55wmbnxq3fe1zyfq45))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-28-425o&query=on

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pqxhrev5ebez3q55ys1avtjw))/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-28-425k.pdf

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pqxhrev5ebez3q55ys1avtjw))/mileg.aspx?page=print&objectname=mcl-28-425f

Sincerely,

Executive Division
    Michigan State Police
    714 S. Harrison Rd
    East Lansing, MI, 48823
    517-336-6562

Very interesting, we need to add this to the FAQs

Buckaroo

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL

Pistol free zones:

Sincerely,

Executive Division
    Michigan State Police
    714 S. Harrison Rd
    East Lansing, MI, 48823
    517-336-6562

Hm. Wasn't expecting that answer. Good to know - thanks for doing the leg work on that one!

Top Bottom