• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    "The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation."

--Sen. Barack Obama

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Apparently, he forgot? There are three really frightening things about this whole situation; 1. The French want us to fight. 2. Obama thinks its a good idea. 3. The main stream press has not denounced it as an illegal war.

We should pull out now before things get FUBAR.

BTW who is John Galt?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Lots of money to be made by europe in africa and the best way to provide the required stability is with American taxes and lives.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So, if it is in our national interests - and if the country's government is a dictator - we have a practical reason and moral justification to use military force.

So there.

Now they just have to cross that final hurdle about getting Congress to declare war. Its astonishing that one man can decide what our national interests are, pick a side, and start wars based on that opinion.

We care more about U.N. approval than we do of our own Congress.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Now they just have to cross that final hurdle about getting Congress to declare war. Its astonishing that one man can decide what our national interests are, pick a side, and start wars based on that opinion.

We care more about U.N. approval than we do of our own Congress.

Well, first of all, the left has shown us with their past arguments that France is the most important voice as to the legitmacy of our wars.

Second, Presidents have been conducting military actions without a declaration of war since the very beginning. They've broadened this by precedent over the years. I've looked into this and personally, I can't make sense of where the line is drawn or should be drawn constitutionally. I don't think it's quite clear. One thing I DO think is clear is that Congress may authorize a war without making a declaration in so many words. The point, to me, was that Congress had to be involved.

The double standard is the most interesting part of this discussion, since nothing Obama is doing hasn't been done before. The double standard of Bush getting Congress's, and the U.N.s, and a hundred and some nations to back the Iraq war, and that one was illegitimate. Clinton and Obama were both much more unilateral with their actions and of course the press is as silent as they are when the left makes actual death threats against Republicans.

But of course, France was against Iraq, but it's for Libya, so that may explain something.

Top Bottom