• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I say this doesn't go far enough. Let's do a no-fly zone over the entire middle east, including Iran. Our pilots hardly ever get to dogfight. Let's just take out all their air forces and all their military facilities.

Plus, they need to get their sand off our oil.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I don't understand this stance. Isn't it their oil??? :dunno:

Hey, apparently it isn't MY money, because other people in this country need it to fund their lush government retirements and their social security that I'll never see.

I NEED their oil. By the same logic, I think it makes their oil MINE. Why do they have to be so greedy with it?

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    If you think about it, all of the oil-rich countries in the Middle East owe the U.S. and the U.K. We were the ones doing oil exploration in the 20's and 30's. If it wasn't for our efforts, these countries would still be a bunch of goat-herding nomads.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    If you think about it, all of the oil-rich countries in the Middle East owe the U.S. and the U.K. We were the ones doing oil exploration in the 20's and 30's. If it wasn't for our efforts, these countries would still be a bunch of goat-herding nomads.

Word. When we first started their oil business you could buy a pretty woman for like twenty goats. Now it'd cost you thousands. F'n inflation.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    "F" Libya. Let them sort out their own mess, oil be damned. I wish our "leadership" had the balls to say, "sorry, this isn't our business, good luck now..."

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hey, apparently it isn't MY money, because other people in this country need it to fund their lush government retirements and their social security that I'll never see.

I NEED their oil. By the same logic, I think it makes their oil MINE. Why do they have to be so greedy with it?

OK, I'm getting it. It's sometimes hard to read people on the web. :)

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    French jets sweep Libyan city besieged by Gadhafi - Yahoo! News

Looks like the French aren't wasting any time. The link also mentions that a Libyan fighter was shot down. No word on if it was the French that bagged it. I agree with most of the posters in this threas, if the French and Brits want to enforce this, let them do it and we should stay out. They're more than capable of destroying the Libyan Air Force.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    My argument as to the morality of U.S. intervention:

There is one main reason to intervene in foreign affairs, militarily or otherwise. Our national interest. To me, we have to start there. Now, our national interest might take on different meanings. It could be purely defense, or it could be the defense of an ally, or it could be for humanitarian reasons. Understand I'm not arguing for or against any of these reasons, just pointing them out.

Nations don't have permanent friends or allies, only permanent interests - Lord Palmerston.

So, what are the moral justifications for military intervention? One is that we have been attacked - self defense. Another is that an ally has been attacked.

What if we just decide to invade another country? Is that justified? To me it is, if the leadership of that country holds its people against their will. In the case of a dictator, not elected, who holds his nation only by force of arms and oppression, we commit no moral breach if we depose him by force.

So, if it is in our national interests - and if the country's government is a dictator - we have a practical reason and moral justification to use military force.

So there.

Top Bottom