• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Looks like our air forces will be engaging Khadafi's air forces and their forces on the ground. That's what these things normally mean, anyway. Maybe the French will engage, as well. Doubt the Brits have the backbone, or resources since they've mothballed the Ark Royal. Yet another front opens up and more blood and money goes out the window.

UN authorises no-fly zone over Libya - Africa - Al Jazeera English

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I hope it's not to late to do any good.
    Nothing like waiting 2-weeks to make a decision.

It's my understanding the French and Brits will be the first in
    since they are the biggest consumer of "thin" oil.

China and Russia chose not to vote.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I hope it's not to late to do any good.
    Nothing like waiting 2-weeks to make a decision.

It's my understanding the French and Brits will be the first in
    since they are the biggest consumer of "thin" oil.

China and Russia chose not to vote.
    China and Russia don't want to shoot down the planes they just sold.

You know, if we wait another day or two, we could shoot anything that moves. All of the "rebels" will be dead by then :rolleyes:

Why doesn't anyone take decisive action any more? Any 2-bit politician can him-haw until it is too late to do any good. Real leaders step up with quick and decisive action.

And no, I'm not saying we should wade into yet another war. Either DO or DON'T. I guess this is why I'm not in politics.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Since it has become VERY clear we lack the will (not the ability) to win/finish ANY of the conflicts we're involved in, it's time to bring them home.

If the UN wants a no fly zone over Libya, let the Arab countries establish it. Time they use THEIR money to deal with the crap happening there, and stop crying to "The Great Satan" to protect them WHEN it suits them.

If it weren't for the risk to our service men/women, MAYBE I'd say... sure we'll enforce a no fly zone. Cost 'ya $5,000,000,000/day PLUS the expense of fuel and possible losses of hardware.:D

Last edited:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Why are we taking sides in a Libyan civil war? Why put our brave men and women in harms way to save people that hate us? Oh yeah, we need the oil. Well, I guess it must be worth it then.

IMO let the French fight, heaven knows they need the practice.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If I were a betting man, I'd say that we probably have a few birds in the air from Whiteman AFB already, and if not, we will by the end of the weekend.

The B2's could be there, drop some well placed goods, and back before Aderson Cooper could come up with more non-sense about the Nuclear Accident going on in Japan right now.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Man I have got to go find an Obama supporter to find out why we need more war. The Hee-Hawing is going to be awesome.

Plus I always love the chance to point out that there is no difference between Bush and Obama

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Man I have got to go find an Obama supporter to find out why we need more war. The Hee-Hawing is going to be awesome.

Plus I always love the chance to point out that there is no difference between Bush and Obama

Another case of "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Another case of "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss".
    Ain't that the truth:

• I will end this war (or get us into a few more)
    • I will close Gitmo (or keep it open, not sure)
    • I will abolish the Patriot Act (or sign an extension)
    • I will be more open and transparent (or make back room deals and hide from the media)
    • I will fix this economy (or make it worse)
    • I will reduce our dependency on foreign oil (but not allow domestic drilling and refining. If it is too expensive, you'll just use less)
    • I will increase our national debt and raise taxes (OK, I'll actually do this one)
    Why anyone ever believes a word ANY politician utters is beyond me. They are bred to over-promise and under-deliver.

Back on the "no fly zone", I like the idea of the Arab nations stepping up to the plate. I'm sure Israel would participate, but the rest wouldn't raise a hand to their "brothers".

DarkLight

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Thorntown
    I'm on the fence for now on whether or not I approve or disapprove of the UN no-fly zone for Libya. I mean, we are talking about a leader ordering bombing strikes on his own people.

Since it has become VERY clear we lack the will (not the ability) to win/finish ANY of the conflicts we're involved in, it's time to bring them home.

There is a significant difference (for now) between this and what we did(are still doing) in Iraq. In this case there is, what appears to be, a signficant portion of the native populace rising up against their leader prior to any sort of outside intervention. In Iraq, it was pretty much all us (invaders) that instituted the 'civil war'. Iraq's people will always view their new government as being tainted by us, because we forced it on them. Should Libya gain its own independence from this war then it will be something they gain on their own, because they started it themselves. (Of course that is assuming we keep our aid to simply a no-fly zone. If we commit troops and armor...well, we might be seen as invaders again).

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    If I were a betting man, I'd say that we probably have a few birds in the air from Whiteman AFB already, and if not, we will by the end of the weekend.

The B2's could be there, drop some well placed goods, and back before Aderson Cooper could come up with more non-sense about the Nuclear Accident going on in Japan right now.

<minor rant/threadjack>

Side note on Anderson Cooper - self righteous idiot. First, he flames all over TEPCO and the Japanese govt. Then a daughter of a TEPCO employee (one of those going back into the line of fire) sends out a Tweet and asks people to stop flaming on TEPCO. So Anderson stands there last night and carps about people flaming on TEPCO. YEESH!

Has TEPCO been completely transparent? NO. Is there an issue there? QUITE POSSIBLY. Does flaming all over TEPCO and the Japanese government when AC doesn't understand their approach to things help or hurt? I'll take HURT for $500, Alex... I have great respect for the way that some of this has been reported. AC is not among those that I have respect for.

</rant/threadjack>

As for Libya.

Not terribly in favor of yet another intervention in a situation. That said - it's a DO or DO NOT situation. Halfway is the worst option. By a long way. Obama is Carter - without Carter's virtue of at least having good intentions. Both make HORRIBLE Commanders in Chief.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Can anyone explain why Libya has to become our newest problem ?

IMO , it seems like the rebels should've chosen their battles a little more carefully . Now their getting their ass handed to them and want us to come save them .

Why should America waste one drop of blood for these people ? Aren't we spread thin enough ?

NATO , the Brits , the French and who ever else wants a "no fly zone" let them handle it , don't they have planes ?

Top Bottom