• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    These acts of negligence happen a lot. There's an assumption of risk with parking in public property. The OP, however, committed an act of vandalism.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am probably going to get neg rep here form some of you but.....Are you serious?

Ok some punk kid put a scratch in your truck...its a truck. Maybe it was an accident or maybe it was on purpose but it really shows your true character knowing what you did.

Anyone can stoop down, it takes someone with character to take the high road.:twocents:

Does not matter if this was a 300.00 beater of a 40,000.00 extended cab, it's the principle behind it. Accident or intentional he made no attempt to check for damage after he did it. When you pop someone's vehicle with your door your know, take responsibility and check to see if you did any damage.

About 10 years ago in my old 98 Chevy Z71 extended cab I had door (the size of a small sail on a yacht) get ripped out of my hand by the wind and dinged the SUV next to me, waited 45 minutes for the owner to come out and apologized for the incident and offered to have my insurance pay for it, or out of my pocket.

She was about 65-68 years old and told me since I was honest enough to stay around to apologize and offer to pay for it, that me staying around to tell her was enough to satisfy her. She thanked me for staying around and told me it was nice that people still had some respect and honor for peoples property.

I look at it this way DO THE RIGHT THING, and man up. Otherwise suffer the wrath of a ticked off person.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Dang, somebody dinged his door on accident, looked down to see if he hurt it and before your uncle let him react, he hit him in the face with his door? I'd say that is a bit harsh, considering if he was looking to see if he hurt the truck, there's a chance he was going to make the situation right.

If that would have been me, your uncle would have received the *** beating of his life.:twocents:

:laugh: Not exactly like that. The punk did it on purpose. Something about my uncle accidentally cut him off and he got pissed. My uncle screamed at him told him to REALLY look at that dent and he did. He had it coming. :dunno: That kid wasn't about to make it right.

The worst part? My uncle had just bought the truck 2 days prior. Luckily insurance took care of it.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    These acts of negligence happen a lot. There's an assumption of risk with parking in public property. The OP, however, committed an act of vandalism.

The kid committed a crime by damaging personal property. The OP believes in an eye for an Eye. It saved you and I tax dollars by being the judge, jury and executioner.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Hmmm... I wonder how much it will cost him to repaint the damaged part?!

IC 35-43-1-2
    Criminal mischief; penalties
    Sec. 2. (a) A person who:
    (1) recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally damages or defaces property of another person without the other person's consent; or
    (2) knowingly or intentionally causes another to suffer pecuniary loss by deception or by an expression of intention to injure another person or to damage the property or to impair the rights of another person;
    commits criminal mischief, a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is: (A) a Class A misdemeanor if:
    (i) the pecuniary loss is at least two hundred fifty dollars ($250) but less than two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500);
    (ii) the property damaged was a moving motor vehicle;
    (iii) the property damaged contained data relating to a person required to register as a sex or violent offender under IC 11-8-8 and the person is not a sex or violent offender or was not required to register as a sex or violent offender;
    (iv) the property damaged was a locomotive, a railroad car, a train, or equipment of a railroad company being operated on a railroad right-of-way;
    (v) the property damaged was a part of any railroad signal system, train control system, centralized dispatching system, or highway railroad grade crossing warning signal on a railroad right-of-way owned, leased, or operated by a railroad company;
    (vi) the property damaged was any rail, switch, roadbed, viaduct, bridge, trestle, culvert, or embankment on a right-of-way owned, leased, or operated by a railroad company; or
    (vii) the property damage or defacement was caused by paint or other markings; and
    (B) a Class D felony if:
    (i) the pecuniary loss is at least two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500);
    (ii) the damage causes a substantial interruption or impairment of utility service rendered to the public;
    (iii) the damage is to a public record;
    (iv) the property damaged contained data relating to a person required to register as a sex or violent offender under IC 11-8-8 and the person is a sex or violent offender or was required to register as a sex or violent offender;
    (v) the damage causes substantial interruption or impairment of work conducted in a scientific research facility;
    (vi) the damage is to a law enforcement animal (as defined in IC 35-46-3-4.5); or
    (vii) the damage causes substantial interruption or impairment of work conducted in a food processing facility.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    :laugh: Not exactly like that. The punk did it on purpose. Something about my uncle accidentally cut him off and he got pissed. My uncle screamed at him told him to REALLY look at that dent and he did. He had it coming. :dunno: That kid wasn't about to make it right.

The worst part? My uncle had just bought the truck 2 days prior. Luckily insurance took care of it.

Ohhh, OK...Well then that drastically changes things.:D

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Hmmm... I wonder how much it will cost him to repaint the damaged part?!

There are times in your life when you just don't give a crap about the consequences.

Admit it your a little on the liberal side arent you?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    There are times in your life when you just don't give a crap about the consequences.

Maybe so, but he does have a valid point with the negligence vs. vandalism aspect.

I'm neither condoning nor condemning the TS, I'm just stating abnk does have a point worth looking at.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008

No, I am using logic and law. You are using emotions and moral relativism; both staples of late liberalism.

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    No, I am using logic and law. You are using emotions and moral relativism; both staples of late liberalism.

What would you do if it happened to you?
    Have you ever lost your temper with inconciderate punks?

I believe what I did was wrong, but oh so right.

Im the criminal here?? Like I always say, jail is like church, every now and then ya just gotta go.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    What's disappointing is that so many members agree with your act of vandalism. The kid, punk or not, accidentally hit your truck. He assumed no one was there so to whom did you want him to apologize? You, in return, intentionally damaged his property and brag about it.

I am shedding a giant tear for you:rolleyes:....The OP said the guy told him that there was no damage.....and he was lying.....he got what he deserved. I suppose the cops would have handled it better?

Thats a fine line between high road and a spineless man that doesn't stand up for his self.

:yesway:

It's only vandalism if you get caught......:laugh:

I may have confronted the dude a bit furthur,.....which could have turned out worse. Way to go!:)

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Since everyone is piling on abnk, Ima join in.

I am shedding a giant tear for you:rolleyes:....The OP said the guy told him that there was no damage.....and he was lying.....he got what he deserved. I suppose the cops would have handled it better?

Is this a serious question? Of course they would have.:n00b:

They could have lined up the door with the scratch and then it's on that punk's insurance from there.

If the cops were involved, Fordman's car would get the scratch fixed for free.

It's only vandalism if you get caught......:laugh:

Um, no it's not.

I may have confronted the dude a bit furthur,.....which could have turned out worse. Way to go!:)

No need in confronting him if you have a cell phone to call the authorities. If you carry a gun and look for confrontations, you are reckless and pathetic.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What's disappointing is that so many members agree with your act of vandalism. The kid, punk or not, accidentally hit your truck. He assumed no one was there so to whom did you want him to apologize? You, in return, intentionally damaged his property and brag about it.
    I am probably going to get neg rep here form some of you but.....Are you serious?

Ok some punk kid put a scratch in your truck...its a truck. Maybe it was an accident or maybe it was on purpose but it really shows your true character knowing what you did.

Anyone can stoop down, it takes someone with character to take the high road.:twocents:

Ditto!

"Look, my friend, you just done damage to my property. We both witnessed it. I better have your insurance info."

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008

I believe what I did was wrong, but oh so right.

Im the criminal here?? Like I always say, jail is like church, every now and then ya just gotta go.

Yes, the statute I cited makes what you did a criminal act. The fact that you did it after the other guy left makes it cowardly.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    It's not so much other car doors for me...it's the shopping-cart-pusher-from-hell maniacs.

I'm with you on this one!
    a couple of months ago I was sitting in my car in a parking lot trying to open something for my daughter,when all of the sudden the car moves and I hear this "BANG" I looked an and a shopping cart was rite up against my passenger side front fender...I scanned the lot and see this lady flinging shopping carts away from where shad parked her brand new looking truck..any cart that was near her she would run up to it and push it with no regard to what it was going to hit.
    I stepped out of my car and said "HEY!! WTF! LADY!!!" she had the gonads to tell me I shouldnt of been parked there:dunno: and she quickly walked into the store...I gathered up a couple of carts and put them in the back of her truck upside down. she was a little lady too so Im sure she couldnt get those carts out by her self.:dunno::D

Top Bottom