• ...and so much more!
  • epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    What do you mean? He pretty much retired after his last ass whoopin from GSP...So he's actually gone on longer.

His heart hasn't been there since he lost the belt to GSP. While I like the local boy Chris Lytle, the fact that Lytle took Hughes to a decision (granted, he lost it) says a lot. Lytle is not the same caliber of fighter that Hughes is (or I should say, was). GSP owned Hughes the last time they fought. Last sat. I thought Hughes was looking decent against Alves (better than his last several fights), but it was over when he ate that flying knee.

Hughes is doing what Tito is doing. Fulfilling his contract and then retiring and is a sure thing for a UFC hall of fame induction.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    ok, I've got to ask. How many fights has UberSoldat.... I mean Brock Lesner fought in?

Is it one, or two now? When's his next fight if it's only one?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Are there any videos of his last fight online? Or am I going to have to rent the last PPV to see him win?

In his first fight he did a lot better then I expected him to. I guess I'm not surprised he got caught in an arm bar. I expected him to be more of a gimmick then he turned out to be. That guy has a lot of potential I think. Maybe not in the very short term, but I could see him doing well.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    No, he won his first fight against some Japanese guy in K-1, and then lost via ankle lock after pummeling Frank Mir for 90 seconds...I'm not so sure he could have an arm bar executed on him; have you seen those things? They are as big as my thighs, and I'm a big guy.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    No, he won his first fight against some Japanese guy in K-1, and then lost via ankle lock after pummeling Frank Mir for 90 seconds...I'm not so sure he could have an arm bar executed on him; have you seen those things? They are as big as my thighs, and I'm a big guy.

I was thinking of the Frank Mir fight. I was wrong in thinking it was an arm bar you're right it was an ankle lock. I DID know it was by submission, and something more experienced fighters tend to avoid.

So the fight he won was NOT in the UFC. Isn't he signed to fight like 6 fights on his contract within the UFC?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm not sure how long is contract is...Contracts with new fighters generally don't last 6 fights, but if it will pull in the WWE yuppies then I'm sure Dana White is all for it.

I also think with a lot more polishing, he can become a top tier fighter...He ain't no Kimblow Slice.

Here you go:

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=jWQ1AyGUFsQ"]His first K-1 fight against Min Soo Kim[/ame]

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=TFqGx9XYSqU&feature=related"]Brock Vs. Frank[/ame]

Sorry for the awful radio music in the second video.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    I guess I'm not surprised he got caught in an arm bar. I expected him to be more of a gimmick then he turned out to be. That guy has a lot of potential I think. Maybe not in the very short term, but I could see him doing well.

i think at that event it was sylvia that got caught in an arm bar(by noguiera)and he was beating him down up till that point. lessnar and sylvia were joking in the postfight interviewes aboiut the bjj experts

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    i think at that event it was sylvia that got caught in an arm bar(by noguiera)and he was beating him down up till that point. lessnar and sylvia were joking in the postfight interviewes aboiut the bjj experts

Actually I think it was a guillotine as that was dubbed "the night of the guillotine choke" as several of the fights that night ended with it. Truthfully, I was at a bar watching it so my recollection of all the fights that night is pretty hazy.

ETA: Weird. They no longer list Tim Sylvia under the fighters section on ufc.com. I did check Noguiera's record though and it says he won with a choke.

Last edited:

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    Truthfully, I was at a bar watching it so my recollection of all the fights that night is pretty hazy.

ETA: Weird. They no longer list Tim Sylvia under the fighters section on ufc.com. I did check Noguiera's record though and it says he won with a choke.

had plenty of fight nights like that....a few ended up with me fighting(i'm fine with fighting, just not with curbs jumping in my fights):cheers:

funny how fast ufc was to get rid of all his info. that is the biggest complaint i have with them. their "if you are'nt with us you ain't sheeeeeet" attitude

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Yeah Silva got subbed with a guillotine. Noguiera is known for taking some of the most brutal beatings ever and most of the time, surviving...Like Rogan said, "the man wears his experience on his face."

I was actually joking with my buddies not 20 seconds before the submission that as soon as Noguiera got on top of Tim, I said "well this one is over." And it was.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    even though he lost that was the fight that changed my opinion of sylvia......he auctually fought as opposed to sniping with his orangoutan arms

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    It's funny you say that, because while I guess his arms are longer than most(since he's 6'8", he arms are laughably short for his size. Check out his reach advantage in his next fight against a much shorter opponent.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    dude.....he's fighting fedor. reach does'nt mean squat. he better have god as his corner man, david as his striking coach, and goliath as his wrestling partner.

i want to see him win, and he has proved he can hang with the best(coture, AA, nog) but man the all time badass list is something like this

god
    fedor
    chuck norris
    clubber lang
    the Hoff

lets hope for the best

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    He "hung" with Couture? Man, what fight were you watching?:lmfao:

Couture owned him for 5 rounds...In my opinion, Couture vs. Emelianenko? Couture hands Fedor his ass.

Couture is better in every aspect of MMA except for taking shots.

Top Bottom