• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States - there would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Very relevant post, and I think this still holds true...the only question is would there be a rifleman behind every rifle that knows how to use it. In the 30's and early 40's, I'd say most folks did, since marksmanship wasn't taboo like it is in many facets of society today, and many folks relied on their rilfes to put food on the table. Today for many of us, firearms are much more for recreation (including many of us hunters who don't HAVE to hunt to put food on the table) and less of a way of life. Not saying there aren't a lot of hunters out there that don't still depend on using their rifle to feed the family, but I think much more hunting is for the sport of it now, with many hunters also enjoying the fruits of the hunt by eating the game they take.

I think (and just my opinion and not at all databased) that while the number of gun owners and rifles in private collections has gone up numerically since WWII, that there are likely proportionally fewer folks behind the trigger that could actually use one effectively. Or, the ratio of guns to owner has gone up as well.

I hope that I'm wrong on that, but just thinking that if I had more than one rifle, and in fact had enough to arm my direct family and several friends, would they in fact actually know how to use it, especially in a stressful situation? Some would, but others I know wouldn't, and I keep trying to help them "learn" each trip to the range.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    What is the "timetable" for this UN Gun Ban? Also, where can I find the info on this? If this gun ban, or any gun ban, ever passed, there would be no way to control all the hell that it would cause.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I hope that I'm wrong on that, but just thinking that if I had more than one rifle, and in fact had enough to arm my direct family and several friends, would they in fact actually know how to use it, especially in a stressful situation? Some would, but others I know wouldn't, and I keep trying to help them "learn" each trip to the range.

That is a good start.
    I look for opportunities to take new people to the range all the time.
    I have always felt that the more friends and neighbors I have that can shoot effectively the better.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Are you calling me pointless? :):

no, im sure you have a point. i just havent figured it out yet.

He does. It's on top of his head. :lmfao: Sorry Ryan... The door was opened.. I just had to walk through it.

Very relevant post, and I think this still holds true...the only question is would there be a rifleman behind every rifle that knows how to use it. In the 30's and early 40's, I'd say most folks did, since marksmanship wasn't taboo like it is in many facets of society today, and many folks relied on their rilfes to put food on the table. Today for many of us, firearms are much more for recreation (including many of us hunters who don't HAVE to hunt to put food on the table) and less of a way of life. Not saying there aren't a lot of hunters out there that don't still depend on using their rifle to feed the family, but I think much more hunting is for the sport of it now, with many hunters also enjoying the fruits of the hunt by eating the game they take.

I think (and just my opinion and not at all databased) that while the number of gun owners and rifles in private collections has gone up numerically since WWII, that there are likely proportionally fewer folks behind the trigger that could actually use one effectively. Or, the ratio of guns to owner has gone up as well.

I think you may be right, jblomenberg... how far we as a country have allowed ourselves to fall in 70-80 years! Thankfully, there is a way to restore and rebuild the ranks of riflemen... Well, sort of. The major difference is that nowadays, we capitalize it and we call them Riflemen. For those who want to earn this title, come see us down in the Appleseed forum here on INGO (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/Appleseed), over on the Appleseed Project Home site, or just get in touch with any of us listed in my post-listing of the current Appleseed Instructors.

NPOAPic.png
    Rifleman_Patch_lg.jpg
    NPOAPic.png

Personally, I'd love to see us get back to the level of preparedness that so spooked Yamamoto. I'd also love to have a few million more Riflemen sharing the duties of guarding these blades of grass we call home. :patriot:

ETA: In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that the above targets are not my shooting..I'm good, but I'm not quite that good.... YET!

Blessings,
    Bill

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I agree. It would never happen................and if it did....all hell would break loose.

Maybe. OTOH, in New Orleans the police were told to confiscate weapons and they just did it.

The National Guard were told to assist the police in the confiscation of weapons and they just did it.

The people, confronted by the police and with the National Guard outside "providing security" were told to hand over their weapons and, for the most part, they just did it.

I'd like to think that "it would never happen" but, well....

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Have the arms and they will come :D
    Some will pick things up fairly quickly, sort of on the job training. Some won't and there would be a period of separating the chaff from the wheat.

The wild card IMO is the whole Oathkeepers thing. Will the current and former military take a side, stay neutral... if they just send in the blue helmeted rapists and child molesters to seize our weapons... they won't get far.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Have the arms and they will come :D
    Some will pick things up fairly quickly, sort of on the job training. Some won't and there would be a period of separating the chaff from the wheat.

The wild card IMO is the whole Oathkeepers thing. Will the current and former military take a side, stay neutral... if they just send in the blue helmeted rapists and child molesters to seize our weapons... they won't get far.

If you come to take my protection and what allows me to protect my family then you are now my enemy regardless what group you say you represent.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    If you come to take my protection and what allows me to protect my family then you are now my enemy regardless what group you say you represent.

It's easy to say, but what would be your response if you got an official and "legal" document informing you that you must appear at a date and time to turn over, or even register, all of your firearms, and failure to do so will result in a warrant for your arrest? You would no longer be able to go to work, stay at home, or visit known friends and family.

At what point do you say "the S has HTF and it's time to bug-out"? Who says that there will be one distinct SHTF event that happens simultaneously for everyone? It could just as easily be that each one of us has our rights stripped, and firearms taken, one at a time.

And, if you have family, how long do you think they will agree with a full-blown bug-out lifestyle, while the rest of the country and immediate area are still running like business as usual? You would not be just another member of a massive bug-out society, but just a "fugitive from justice."

Keep in mind that whatever a government does is "within the law," since it is the government that defines and enforces the law. Every atrocity committed by the Nazi regime was "lawful," since it was the government that ordered and sanctioned those actions.

Every treaty signed has the same authority as the Constitution, and would carry the full force of The Law of the Land. It is this point that I think will trip up the Oathkeepers.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    It's easy to say, but what would be your response if you got an official and "legal" document informing you that you must appear at a date and time to turn over, or even register, all of your firearms, and failure to do so will result in a warrant for your arrest? You would no longer be able to go to work, stay at home, or visit known friends and family.

At what point do you say "the S has HTF and it's time to bug-out"? Who says that there will be one distinct SHTF event that happens simultaneously for everyone? It could just as easily be that each one of us has our rights stripped, and firearms taken, one at a time.

And, if you have family, how long do you think they will agree with a full-blown bug-out lifestyle, while the rest of the country and immediate area are still running like business as usual? You would not be just another member of a massive bug-out society, but just a "fugitive from justice."

Keep in mind that whatever a government does is "within the law," since it is the government that defines and enforces the law. Every atrocity committed by the Nazi regime was "lawful," since it was the government that ordered and sanctioned those actions.

Every treaty signed has the same authority as the Constitution, and would carry the full force of The Law of the Land. It is this point that I think will trip up the Oathkeepers.

This is that part that worries me the most. My FAMILY is not ready for an event like this like I am. IF it were to come to this kind of one-by-one stripping of rights, I would most likely have to leave my family behind to fight another day. They wouldn't understand and may even hate me in the process. Hopefully in the end they would understand. Maybe not. But to keep my freedom and my rights it's a risk I, and I would hope others are willing to take. Our Founding Fathers risked life and limb and that of their families in the name of Freedom and Justice. I'm not saying sacrifice your family, but you have to weigh the risk. If they go full out stripping of our rights and using the UN, at what point to you say enough is enough and start fighting back?

I have no doubt in my mind that most of us here would resist. However, I've gotten the impression from a lot of members that they would submit to save their own skin. In my former circle of friends we had a few choice names for people like that.

Now, I've never been a criminal on the run. Well, not really anyway. I've been friends with those in the past who have though. I know what kind of life that is. It's not fun by any means. But when you're in the right and have done nothing wrong but you have no chance of standing your ground and winning, what else do you do? Submit? Only if you're a slave. :fawk: that.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    They would never have enough resources to enforce this. There would be enough gun owners out there that immediately would go ballistic and take the attention off the average guy. Besides, how would they know how many guns you have? Sure, they would know about a few, but what about the trades, inherited arms, etc. Now if the government wanted to get full blown Nazi on us and start raiding all suspected gun owners homes looking for any possible signs of guns, then I would absolutely send my family somewhere safe and fight for my life. To me, there is no other option. There are already enough invasions on my personal liberties that I have a hard time digesting day to day. I would not stand for this and I'm sure there are millions of others that are like-minded. There would be no better reason to declare revolution.......ibtl.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    They would never have enough resources to enforce this. There would be enough gun owners out there that immediately would go ballistic and take the attention off the average guy. Besides, how would they know how many guns you have? Sure, they would know about a few, but what about the trades, inherited arms, etc. Now if the government wanted to get full blown Nazi on us and start raiding all suspected gun owners homes looking for any possible signs of guns, then I would absolutely send my family somewhere safe and fight for my life. To me, there is no other option. There are already enough invasions on my personal liberties that I have a hard time digesting day to day. I would not stand for this and I'm sure there are millions of others that are like-minded. There would be no better reason to declare revolution.......ibtl.

Well said. IBTI

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

Again: Sure - easy to say. But, I didn't see you leading a militia brigade when the firearms of those people in New Orleans were being confiscated.

You say that you would stand and fight - alright. But, it would be only you. Nobody else would even know about it. You get a knock (or a NO-knock with some flash-bangs, which is more likely), and they tell you "we have a 4473 here that says you own xyz firearm. We're here to take it. You don't have it anymore? I guess we'll just have to search your entire house and see what we find!" We'll just keep your entire family facedown at gunpoint right here on the floor for their own safety."

Do you fight? Maybe. Do you worry that one of the masked heroes might get an itchy trigger finger while his MP5 is pointed at your daughter? If you fight, and die, the official story for the news media will be that a "right wing extremist, who had DOZENS of assault rifles, and THOUSANDS of rounds of ammo, held his family at gunpoint while he was resisting the service of a search warrant by local, state, and federal law enforcement.

Would the truth EVER come out? Maybe, if your wife doesn't buckle under the threats about what would happen to your kids if she talked. But, it would be months later, and broadcast only on a limited basis, because the government-sanctioned media would never even interview such an obvious nutcase. And "isn't it a pity that her husband's mental instability and resulting death has caused her to have paranoid delusions??"

It's not so black and white, is it?

The easiest thing would be if a light division of UN Peacekeepers landed amid a media splash. There would be little doubt or hesitation about what the obvious response should be. But, if some gun that you own is somehow made "illegal" by the stroke of Obama's pen on an international treaty, you would be quietly subjected to a simple law enforcement action that nobody would know about. And, since the media would dutifully spout whatever the government (prosecuting atty, police spokesman) told them, most people would be glad you were off the street.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Again: Sure - easy to say. But, I didn't see you leading a militia brigade when the firearms of those people in New Orleans were being confiscated.

You say that you would stand and fight - alright. But, it would be only you. Nobody else would even know about it. You get a knock (or a NO-knock with some flash-bangs, which is more likely), and they tell you "we have a 4473 here that says you own xyz firearm. We're here to take it. You don't have it anymore? I guess we'll just have to search your entire house and see what we find!" We'll just keep your entire family facedown at gunpoint right here on the floor for their own safety."

Do you fight? Maybe. Do you worry that one of the masked heroes might get an itchy trigger finger while his MP5 is pointed at your daughter? If you fight, and die, the official story for the news media will be that a "right wing extremist, who had DOZENS of assault rifles, and THOUSANDS of rounds of ammo, held his family at gunpoint while he was resisting the service of a search warrant by local, state, and federal law enforcement.

Would the truth EVER come out? Maybe, if your wife doesn't buckle under the threats about what would happen to your kids if she talked. But, it would be months later, and broadcast only on a limited basis, because the government-sanctioned media would never even interview such an obvious nutcase. And "isn't it a pity that her husband's mental instability and resulting death has caused her to have paranoid delusions??"

It's not so black and white, is it?

The easiest thing would be if a light division of UN Peacekeepers landed amid a media splash. There would be little doubt or hesitation about what the obvious response should be. But, if some gun that you own is somehow made "illegal" by the stroke of Obama's pen on an international treaty, you would be quietly subjected to a simple law enforcement action that nobody would know about. And, since the media would dutifully spout whatever the government (prosecuting atty, police spokesman) told them, most people would be glad you were off the street.

You are speaking as if the UN is going to come straight to my house and keep it on the hush hush.

There are approximately 80 million gun owners in the United States. If the government did this to 1 person a day, it would take them 219,000 years to get rid of them. I would say that is plenty of time to mount a revolution. If I happen to be first on the list, then so be it.......that's plain bad luck.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You are speaking as if the UN is going to come straight to my house and keep it on the hush hush.

There are approximately 80 million gun owners in the United States. If the government did this to 1 person a day, it would take them 219,000 years to get rid of them. I would say that is plenty of time to mount a revolution. If I happen to be first on the list, then so be it.......that's plain bad luck.

Exactly.

Thompal, I'm sorry, but what you described would only happen if they only targeted a couple hundred people and hit them all at once. A more likely story for the papers would be "Domestic Terror Ring Exposed".

No, I'm sorry, but if the names came out of who those people were, and we knew them to be upstanding people, I'm sure hell would insue.

I'll stop there and claim another IBTI. I don't want to push it.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

No, I said it would be easiest (for us to know when the S has HTF) if a UN division landed and started doing this. In reality, it will be local LEOs, aided by maybe BATF or US Marshalls. In other words, it will be just a "regular law enforcement action." And it won't be one a day - it will be dozens every day by every police department in the country. It would be days or weeks before it became widely known, and by then, how many would be dead, wounded, in jail, or had their rights violated by being forced to submit to searches and confiscations? Your picture would be shown on the TV news alongside the gangbangers who robbed the local gas station.

And, let's say that word gets out. What then? Do you expect every remaining owner of the forbidden gun to bug-out?

While it is definitely a SHTF scenario for those directly affected, I would guess others would be as willing to come to their aid about as quickly as everyone came to the aid of gun owners in New Orleans. And THAT happened in a short period of time, and was kind of reported in the media.

Top Bottom