Two Louisville Gun Shops hit in two days.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I have them...Painted yellow....Knock on wood they have yet to have seen "action"....Not in the frame work but in front of the shop about 3 feet....Unless they are going to use a Harley or a little skinny hippie car I should be good to go...

I hate to give you bad news, but typical parking bollards will likely offer minimal protection. I've seen vehicles that have hit these things going maybe 15-20 MPH and they get thrown 10'+. These are usually the kind that are screwed into some sort of base. Others I've seen break-off at the base (the kind with the base sunk below the surface). The reason this is important is because these folks aren't using their own car, thus they could careless about the disabling damage done to the vehicle. I think it mostly depends on the materials used and how they are constructed.

I live off a road with a curve and have been really looking for some large boulders or rectangle stones (the benches and/or protective barriers you see at parks in some areas). The larger ones do cost upwards of $1,000, but that is the kind of weight need to really stop a vehicle. The typical cement bollard will cause a lot of damage, and likely prevent a slower moving vehicle from continuing forward, but any momentum and the store front could still be compromised. You might want to check around for any free boulders or large blocks and use them if at all possible. Cement Jersey barriers should work, not sure about the plastic ones filled with water (the orange color could be painted over).

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Ugh!

I hope this isn't just the start of more of the same. Any chance they're connected to the burglars who hit Gander Mountain in Indy?

Not a trend really, as it has happened to Don's, Pop Guns, Gander Mountain, and a small shop in Fortville. However, it seems there has been an increase frequency of these type of smash and grabs. That tells me that fewer guns are being found in vehicles and homes that are broken into. That or the thieves figure they may as well go big and a gun store that can't or doesn't lock up their inventory is a nice place to grab arm loads of firearms.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    After watching a show on Viceland the other night about the market/trafficking of stolen guns to guys in NY and Chicago I can see this. They talked a little bit about smashing into gun stores and robbing pawnshops for them. I wasn't a huge fan of all aspects of the show, but it showed that there is a market for stolen guns with quite a markup.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I hate to give you bad news, but typical parking bollards will likely offer minimal protection. I've seen vehicles that have hit these things going maybe 15-20 MPH and they get thrown 10'+. These are usually the kind that are screwed into some sort of base. Others I've seen break-off at the base (the kind with the base sunk below the surface). The reason this is important is because these folks aren't using their own car, thus they could careless about the disabling damage done to the vehicle. I think it mostly depends on the materials used and how they are constructed.

I live off a road with a curve and have been really looking for some large boulders or rectangle stones (the benches and/or protective barriers you see at parks in some areas). The larger ones do cost upwards of $1,000, but that is the kind of weight need to really stop a vehicle. The typical cement bollard will cause a lot of damage, and likely prevent a slower moving vehicle from continuing forward, but any momentum and the store front could still be compromised. You might want to check around for any free boulders or large blocks and use them if at all possible. Cement Jersey barriers should work, not sure about the plastic ones filled with water (the orange color could be painted over).

They are steel, filled with concrete and go down three feet below the surface...These are not typical but I agree that nothing is full proof....

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Something similar happened to one of our LGS about 5-6 years ago...they backed a small pick-up truck through a block side wall and crawled around on the floor, stealing guns from behind the cabinets wearing a hoodie and keeping their face downward to avoid the two (3) cameras located at each end of the shop behind the counter. It was obvious the store had been scouted prior to the robbery to know where to back through and where to grab guns and toss them out the hole made in the wall by the truck.

Absolutely no respect for thieves!

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    They are steel, filled with concrete and go down three feet below the surface...These are not typical but I agree that nothing is full proof....

Here's an idea for some... improvements:

Dragons-Teeth.jpg

a6fc6fc00b41f9d05a8e3a9a079cb32e.jpg

600px-JapanesePillbox_Type92HMG.jpg

This, plus a good field of mixed anti-personnel and anti-vehicle mines and you should be all set.

... on second thought, you should probably add some razor wire and a moat.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So is there a way to secure the merchandise overnight? Is loading everything back into a vault at the end of the day the only option?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm suprised they aren't requiring walk in vaults to secure wepons. It takes 8 hours to core drill into a real vault.

If you are even a modestly large shop that could take several hours off your operating time hauling guns in and out of vaults not to mention the wear and tear that happens to new guns by doing that. Look at some of the new guns at say Elmores that have scratches and nicks from being put away and put back out. If you're a small shop with a couple racks you could do it. The store I worked at we had between 3-5K guns at any one time. We had six three or more level shelving units with handguns alone not to mention all the long gun racks. We had four rooms with all the inventory stacked in there, there wouldn't be a walk in vault big enough. In reality its often just not practical. The best you can do is try to harden your building the best you can.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have them...Painted yellow....Knock on wood they have yet to have seen "action"....Not in the frame work but in front of the shop about 3 feet....Unless they are going to use a Harley or a little skinny hippie car I should be good to go...

Alarm company is coming today to see what, if anything, the storm did to my alarm...

Concrete encased in steel and planted in concrete--I've seen it stop a forklift backing into it at speed with barely a scratch to the paint. Those ought to stop about any car or pickup truck.

Now...what's your roof made of? :D

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Happening way to frequently everywhere, and like always the good guys will cover the cost for some worthless thieves.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have a GREAT idea!!!

I'll "hold" all of your guns until this thievery nonsense blows over down there...

...my plan is flawless. I'm not a gunshop, so they'll have no idea who to hit, and I'm nowhere near Louisville, so the thieves will have no idea where to begin looking for your stuff.

shhhh, don't overthink it...this it what friends do!!!

Too much work for one guy. You take the L and N frames and I'll graciously take the K and J frames. Gotta help a brother out!

The situation reminds me of an incident years ago. A friend owned a Dairy Queen and someone stole the keys right before closing. Instead of paying a premium to have the locks re-keyed late at night, we camped out with a couple Mossberg 590's and 1911's.

Looks like you guys have the revolvers covered. I'll take the bolt actions (as long as they've aged naturally and don't smell like urine). :yesway:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    There was a recent news story about Louisville Metro PD making a concerted effort to get more guns "off the street". When guns get scarce, the gangsters have to find ways to replenish their stock. The gangsters in the 30's stole guns from armories and police stations. I guess the modern gangsters get them by smashing gun shops. Indyucky, I would think that crooks who know what you carry in your shop, wouldn't be interested in your inventory. BTW, to thread jack a little, I've seen that a couple of local Indiana shops are going out of business.

Top Bottom