• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Okay, if you happen to carry a gun and a fixed-blade knife, what is the proper location for the knife? Do you carry it on the non-firing hand side (9 o'clock) with the blade facing outward or inward. Or do you you carry in at 3 o'clock with the blade facing outward or inward, and your gun at 5 o'clock? Now, what pocket do you carry your folder?

I normally carry my folder on my non-firing side pocket. I would like to start carrying my fixed-blade on the weekend and the place direction is really intriguing to me.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I carry in my non-firing front pocket. The blade is facing in, only due to the pry bar on the HEST poking a hole in my pocket. I did also get the ESEE-3 with the belt clip that looks like it will fit the sheath of the HEST and plan to try it at 9'oclock.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I carry a folder IWB about 9 o'clock when I'm carrying my gun, also a small folder in my front right pocket, just ordered a sheath for my fixed blade to carry at 9 o'clock

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I carry a folder IWB about 9 o'clock when I'm carrying my gun, also a small folder in my front right pocket, just ordered a sheath for my fixed blade to carry at 9 o'clock

Blade facing in or out? You may not know right now, but I'm definitely interested in deploying a fixed-blade and it would seem like blade out would allow the best defensive/offensive capabilities. You have the strong forward cross-motion for cutting motion, which will allow you to keep the knife close to the body.

I just need to get some knife training. :laugh:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Right handed so pistol at 4 o'clock on right side with fixed blade straight up at 9 o'clock. Also, my folder is clipped in my right front pocket as it is my main use knife for things. I am thinking of moving my fixed blade to my ankle since I dress in boots or at least Doc Marten's in the winter with long pants. IF I am dressed with a tucked in shirt then this is my route.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Que my blade will be facing in, out would work better IMO but because of my arm I can't grab the knife I'm using that way, I'm using a curved blade with a big hole for my index finger since the other fingers have little or no gripping power

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Okay, if you happen to carry a gun and a fixed-blade knife, what is the proper location for the knife? Do you carry it on the non-firing hand side (9 o'clock) with the blade facing outward or inward. Or do you you carry in at 3 o'clock with the blade facing outward or inward, and your gun at 5 o'clock? Now, what pocket do you carry your folder?

I normally carry my folder on my non-firing side pocket. I would like to start carrying my fixed-blade on the weekend and the place direction is really intriguing to me.

I carry my fixed blade on my strong-hand side, well sort of anyway.

It's actually attached to my belt at 6 O'clock (small of back) with the handle towards my strong-hand side, with the handle canted slightly downward towards my strong-hand side back pocket.

Having it slightly canted downwards makes it quicker & easier to retrieve from underneath my shirt & the motion of me doing so is natural & looks exactly like I am reaching for my wallet to any observers.

I use my knife all of the time, so having it on my off-hand side & having to switch hands every time I used it would get annoying really fast.

Anyway as soon as my camera battery is charged I'll take & upload a photo of how I carry my pistol, knife & flashlight, then maybe you can get a better idea of what I am talking about.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I carry two (2) knives daily. I have a CRK Sebenza in a pancake sheath at my 3 o'clock and usually another folder in my strong side (right pocket) I carry my gun at the 4-5 oc clock area. If you are going to carry a fixed blade, see what is right for you with draw and carryability. When I carry a fixed blade, it is usually at my 2-3 o'clock area, depending on the length.

I am sure MerCop and kokomodave will be along shortly with his views on fixed blade carry.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    One thing I rememberize from Mercop, is all tools for dealing with people should be in front of the hip bones (from 9-3). SOB sucks when you're on your back or up against a wall/car/etc.

I'd sure like to get George back here for more edged weapons classes....

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    One thing I rememberize from Mercop, is all tools for dealing with people should be in front of the hip bones (from 9-3). SOB sucks when you're on your back or up against a wall/car/etc.

I'd sure like to get George back here for more edged weapons classes....

Well being pinned up against something hard enough that it limits accessing a weapon, can happen regardless of where the weapon is being carried on a persons body.

That said along with my fixed blade at 6 O'clock I also normally carry my handgun OWB on my hip at 3 O'clock & a liner-locker at 1:30 (clipped in front pocket).

I don't really consider my liner-locker as anything other than a "last-ditch" self-defense tool though since the blade is only 3" long, thus penetration into vitals wouldn't be the greatest but I suppose since I keep all of my knives razor sharp that if God forbid a life/death struggle did happen that it could "open up a belly" without a great deal of effort.

As horrific as this sounds it'd probably be pretty hard for someone to keep attacking if they are busy trying to keep their guts from spilling out all over the ground.

Anyway I am still waiting on my camera battery to re-charge.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Ok here is a snapshot of my EDC carry setup.

edcstuff.jpg

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Ok here is a snapshot of my EDC carry setup.

edcstuff.jpg

So, if everything is on your right hand side and the BG is wrestling to gain control of your gun, what alternative do you have? I was "advised" to keep some form of weapon accessible to your non-firing hand. That is why I carry this. Well, I actually carry the smaller version, since I'm not too fond of this one.

DSC_0006.jpg

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Pistol rides at 3:30-4:00, folder in right front pocket clipped at 2:00-2:30. If there is a fixed blade, it either rides at 3:00 if expecting lots of blade work or at 10:00 in a crossdraw.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    May be and soon... I just want to make sure I really won't need it. I will let you know.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    So, if everything is on your right hand side and the BG is wrestling to gain control of your gun, what alternative do you have? I was "advised" to keep some form of weapon accessible to your non-firing hand. That is why I carry this. Well, I actually carry the smaller version, since I'm not too fond of this one.

DSC_0006.jpg

In my experience both of your hands will instinctively grab for control of the weapon in order to prevent the barrel of your own handgun from being pointed at you.

At that point you won't even think about taking either of your hands off of that handgun in order to grab for a knife.

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    I'm right handed and carry a G30 IWB at 4 O'clock, spare mag IWB at 8 O'clock, fixed blade knife IWB at 11 O'clock, and a Kershaw Random Leek folder in my back right pocket. Oftentimes I will drop an extra G21 mag into my back left pocket. The fixed blade is the most recent addition to my EDC, and I included it because I wanted to have a sturdy knife accessible to my support hand, and didn't want to have to fumble around with opening a folder. Because I'm very thin, I can't conceal a handgun AIWB, otherwise I'd be wearing my Glock up front.

I haven't taken the plunge into carrying 2 knives and 2 guns.... yet. Maybe a G21 would make a nice backup gun...

Top Bottom