• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    nothing but hens so far... gonna sit here a bit longer.

I hear gobbles in the woods early in the morning on neighboring property, but they usually end up in my fields. Thinking about it, I think I've seen them in the fields more in the afternoon, so I may try again later today.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    nothing again.... just rain and no birds.

Funny thing is, I saw one in full strut on the drive over to the farm, just outside of Bloomfield.

I'll be at it before and after work this week with the bow on base.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    This afternoon I had a hen in the bean stubble to the west for around a 1/2 hour then a jake came across the field and they both made thier way to my decoys in the adjoining pasture field. They fed, milled and layed down for a while before going back to the bean stubble. 2 1/2 hours 30 yards in front of me. I was glad they left. Sheesh. Another hen joined them and they made thier way north and east through the low ground. Another great hunt without a harvest. I have yet to see a big tom this year. Other then driving down the road and seeing them.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I have always thought that the Indiana season started a little late and this year they moved it back another week. The combination of this and the raining weather is making really tough this year.:twocents:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I have always thought that the Indiana season started a little late and this year they moved it back another week. The combination of this and the raining weather is making really tough this year.:twocents:

agreed, about three weeks ago this would have been a whole different thread.

hountzmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    SE Indiana

The Indiana season is always at the same time and has been for quite a while.

The formula they use is that it begins the first Wednesday after the 20th of April. The earliest it can start is the 21st and the latest the 27th. They do this so that is matches up closely with the 2nd round of gobbling and is a consistent schedule for hunters.

They don't want us hunting in the first round of gobbling because too many mature birds may get killed early in the season resulting in a shortage of males capable of breeding. That would be disastrous for the population.

You can read the DNR press release to this effect HERE.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    that makes a lot of sense, don't want to drive the population way down again after all the efforts taken to bring these birds back.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    South Dakota
    DerekBird1.jpg

South Dakota
    DerekBird2.jpg

Indiana Youth Weekend
    Sydney2011Turkey.jpg

Indiana Regular Opener
    Trevor2011Turkey02.jpg

Indiana this past weekend.
    DerekIndianaTurkey01.jpg

VIDEOS can be seen at - https://www.newdayoutdoors.com/Videography_UUMT.html

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The Indiana season is always at the same time and has been for quite a while.

The formula they use is that it begins the first Wednesday after the 20th of April. The earliest it can start is the 21st and the latest the 27th. They do this so that is matches up closely with the 2nd round of gobbling and is a consistent schedule for hunters.

They don't want us hunting in the first round of gobbling because too many mature birds may get killed early in the season resulting in a shortage of males capable of breeding. That would be disastrous for the population.

You can read the DNR press release to this effect HERE.

This year it worked out be about a week later than I can remember from the last several years. Indiana is not in line with any of the other midwest states around it.....Kentucky's season opens up like 3 weeks before Indiana's. :dunno:

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I got out a little earlier this year and decided to hunt in Kentucky. Day one I got my first Tom. 10 and a half inch beard with 1 1/8 spur on one side and as 1 and 1/4 on the other side. Day two I started off slow and didnt run and gun at all. I got into my blind and not but 20 mins latter I took my second Tom. He was a bit bigger. 10 1/2 inch beard with a 1 1/2 inch spur on one side and a 1 7/8 inch spur on the other. He weighed 24 and a half pounds. Now hes at the taxidermist.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Got out this morning for the first time since opening day. It was too rainy last week, then had a funeral to plan over the weekend. Well, i didnt hear a thing at all until I was about ready to leave the field, then heard a gobble off in the distance. I got back in my blind, and started calling. Within 10 minutes I see a Tom coming over a hill about 200 yards out. I just sat there and shut up, and let him come my way. He made it to 35 yards away, and stayed there until I carried him out of the field. :D This was my first time ever hunting turkeys in Indiana. In fact, the last time I hunted turkeys, I was 11 years old, and my dad did all the calling.

He was a young turkey, but still weighed in at 21 pounds with an 8 inch beard. Spurs were barely even there. Overall, I'm pretty pleased. Came home and dressed him out, cut off one breast to give to the land owner, and put the rest straight into the roaster for dinner tonight. :rockwoot:

0504110918b.jpg

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Guys, if your hunting and kill something without a pic of it, it did not happen, it's just a story. Let's see those pics !!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Turkeys, Bah Humbug.

Turkeys just don't get my juices goin'. I can't get into sitting that still on the wet ground waiting on a bird.
    Walked out on the porch last Sunday and heard one gobble about two hundred yards out so I stepped into the kitchen and grabbed my homemade walnut box call and stepped back out and yelped a couple of times. Big excited gobble back. waited about a minute and hit the box again and he was right inside the woods at the edge of the yard about 60 yds out. So I went back in and finished my coffee.:)::rolleyes:

My Uncle lives just over the ridge and shot a 27# tom the second day of the season. Thats a big ole bird.:yesway:

miles2253

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    North Webster
    Saturday, my father in law and I went out. We heard gobbles from three different directions but never saw a thing. Sunday, we saw a couple jakes out in the distance, we saw a couple hens, and three deer. We were out there for four hours and never heard a thing.

Top Bottom