• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    We have raised chickens in the past and have always wanted to try turkeys...Well today we took the plunge and bought four. They are one week old, doing well so far, eating and drinking after the short trip home.

Has anyone else here raised turkeys and can you give any good advice or do's and dont's..

Thanks!:patriot:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    My great uncle told me that the only thing dumber than a turkey is a turkey farmer.
    Of course this was after decades raising tens of thousands of birds, so perhaps he was jaded.

I think on a small scale it would be fun. In large groups they are dangerous to themselves.

Good luck, and show us some pictures please.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    i've been told they are devilish bastards. hard to contain and very, very noisey, smelly, dirty. also quite mean and territorial. let us know how it works out as they get bigger.

keith2210

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    both these guys have been right so far. I have worked on a turkey farm all my life. got away from them to go to school. come to think of it they were the reason i decided to come. definately didnt want to do that the rest of my life. but anyway. they are pretty low maintenance. as said before in large numbers (we raised around 20,000 every eight weeks. yes twenty thousand) they can be dangerous to themselves. they pile easy. anyone with experience with them in large numbers knows what i mean. in small numbers the only thing to worry about is them getting taken by wild animals and getting aggressive. hens not so much but toms seem to get aggressive almost overnight. it seems like once they hit a certain age they get mean. by that time though they should be big enough to butcher. if you plan to deep fry you should butcher at about 22 pounds live weight. this will put them right where they need to be after cleaning. i could go on for awhile about em but wont. have fun with them.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I don't think I will ever try raising turkeys after seeing a buddy give it a try. One damn turkey would attack people trying to get out of their car as well as chase them to it. Also, if you can fence them in then DO IT as they will wonder off and are a PITA to get under control without making you just want to end its life. Finally, if you can make it work then that is awesome but I personally will leave those dumb birds to Butterball.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Guy down the road has a couple turkeys, his opinion is "never again".

The Tom, let me tell you is one mean.. dude.

He will attack to the death anyone who gets near.

Chickens for me thanks.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Thanks guys...I think....I plan on building a pen for them to live in, they will NOT roam..I have my chickens coming in a couple of weeks....

The input is not positive for the beginner but I do think it will pay off with patience and time. Unfortunately, I do not have the patience to deal with those birds but I wish you all the luck.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom