• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    What kind of media are you guys using; specifically for .223? I have used various types with nothing giving me 100% satisfaction. I biught some Lyman crushed walnut shell, green stuff, and it cleans ok but no great shine. Same with white rice, much cheaper though. I have also used pet bedding; crushed corn cobs and it give a wonderful shine but the kernels are big enough to get stuck inside the case!! As of now, I'm tumbling fired cases in the Lyman, then tumbling loaded rounds in the corn cob for a good final shine and to remove case lube. I've heard about the stainless pins but they are not cheap and I'm using a vibratory cleaner; not a tumbler.

So, let me hear what you guys are doing!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I use walnut, but tumble some car wax in it for a while before dropping the brass in. It works great for me.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Lyman treated corn cob media. It works well on .223 brass for me. Are you looking for the ultimate shine? As it does nothing but looks pretty.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Never going to get as good of results from a vibratory tumbler with soft media as you will with a rotary tumbler with stainless steel pin media.

climber1218

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    I have been using untreated corncob media, adding Iosso Case Polish with very good results. I have tried a number of other additives to corncob media over the years (including car waxes) and this is by far my favorite.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    So are the corn cob medias you guys use small enough to not get stuck in the cases? The stuff I was using was lizard or iguana bedding and while it works fine in straight walled cases or really anything .30 cal or bigger, the media would get stuck in the .223 cases. I have a hundred plus I couldn't get it picked out of. Just bagged them up for later cutting down to .300 blackout brass!

I'm doing better with my current two stage polishing just wondering if there is something I'm missing. I know ultimate shine doesn't matter, it's just nice to have decent looking ammo. I shot unclean brass for years before I finally got a vibratory cleaner.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You can either purchase the small containers of crushed corn cob that are already treated with abrasives for polishing brass or bulk buy (40 to 50 lbs) crushed corncob from a media blasting supply. The course animal bedding stuff is too course for the little bottlenecked .223 case. It is probably fine for .38 and bigger pistol cases, so do not disgard it.

You can order the crushed cob in a few different sizes. Since that stuff is not treated, you need to mix in some case polish, rubbing compound, or another fine abrasive of your choice.

Walnut hull is faster for cleaning but does not polish as shiney as corncob with case polish.

My firearms cannot really tell the difference.

Good Luck

bberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    If you want to use corn cob from a pet store go to the bird section. they should have very fine ground corn cob usually in a plastic container that will run around 10-12$ for the money it is still about half what lyman etc... sell for since you get roughly twice as much. of course if you then out additives in you are approaching the cost of what they sell already worked up.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    but tumble some car wax in it for a while before dropping the brass in.

That ^.

This is the result of a half & half mix of walnut & cob, with a splash of Scratch X in it...
    Tumble for about 5-10 minutes to mix the polish in first, then add brass after:

Before:

IMG_2447.jpg

After:

IMG_2449.jpg

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I use exactly what your using with a cap full of nu finish, works good enough for me. Gets them nice, and clean. If I have any media in a case I just run a case brush through it a few times, and she's good to go.

bberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    interesting that most have figured out pet store alternatives over the high priced reloading industry mixes!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A couple questions:

1. Quite a few Nu-finish users. Could you use other car polishes? I use professional grade polishes by Wolfgang and Menzerna.

2. Would it be a good idea to remove primers and then polish?

bberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I've used several compounds over the years one of the best i found was a dab of flitz metal polish an amazingly small amount will really go a long ways. as for de-priming fist my standard op is to run walnut and get clean then de-prime and resize, since that means lube...then I switch to cob media and a little polish and get rid of the lube and make them pretty in that last tumble.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Quick question. How many runs do you guy get after you add the polish? Or just toss it after 1 use. I don't me like 1 load, but after 1 day of cleaning...?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    So are the corn cob medias you guys use small enough to not get stuck in the cases? The stuff I was using was lizard or iguana bedding and while it works fine in straight walled cases or really anything .30 cal or bigger, the media would get stuck in the .223 cases. I have a hundred plus I couldn't get it picked out of. Just bagged them up for later cutting down to .300 blackout brass!

I'm doing better with my current two stage polishing just wondering if there is something I'm missing. I know ultimate shine doesn't matter, it's just nice to have decent looking ammo. I shot unclean brass for years before I finally got a vibratory cleaner.

The natural cat litter from wally world does not get stuck in the cases like your saying, if it does stick in the case hold them against the side of the tumbler with it running.

A couple questions:

1. Quite a few Nu-finish users. Could you use other car polishes? I use professional grade polishes by Wolfgang and Menzerna.

2. Would it be a good idea to remove primers and then polish?

1. you can use any polish you want but I would avoid anything to abrasive and anything containing ammonia its suppose to weaken brass but we've used brasso with no ill effects

2. either or your choice but remember, your running dirty brass through your die to de-prime first.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom