• JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    ivzcdy.jpg
    [/IMG]

Brilliant... Especially for computer geek like me that gets to "dispose" of outdated / broken hardware...

The Pickle Jar is the icing on the cake.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Hi, fellow reloading noob here (did I tell everyone I found powder at the Indy1500? Well, I'm telling everyone:D).

I purchased a Frankfurt Arsenal tumbler off the shelf at Four Guns in Lafayette for little less than $40 or so. I run my in batches on weekends. It does great. Had it for a year now.

Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler 110 Volt

I am new to reloading too and I bought this tumbler. Seems to do a good job and is not very loud. I can see the need to have another tumbler or a larger one if you reload a lot. I have been using the corn cob media too. It works well. I think I am going to start using tumbling 1.5 hour in walnut and 1.5 hours in corn cob to see if there is any difference. I am not using any polish.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I am new to reloading too and I bought this tumbler. Seems to do a good job and is not very loud. I can see the need to have another tumbler or a larger one if you reload a lot. I have been using the corn cob media too. It works well. I think I am going to start using tumbling 1.5 hour in walnut and 1.5 hours in corn cob to see if there is any difference. I am not using any polish.

Tumble longer, use polish, works great. 1.5 hours IMHO isn't really enough but it depends on what you want for a finished product.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I usually tumble for about 3 hours.

Oh you did say that, sorry I misread it.

I tumble even longer but it depends on how much brass you have going in the tub and how you want them to look.

I have some Midway brass polish and some Vibra Bright polish (probably also from Midway). I can't really tell you anything about car polish since I have never tried that. It doesn't take a lot of anything you use so don't use too much.

Put the media in something for storage that you can close up like a coffee can. This will keep it nice for the next operation.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I can see the need to have another tumbler or a larger one if you reload a lot. I have been using the corn cob media too.

Yes, at the end of 2013 I will purchase a larger tumbler but I am happy (for now) with the little Frankford one.

I only started reloading again in June of 2012 and do not want to do too much too soon.

Catsfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Ft Wayne
    Just getting into reloading and recently purchased the Frankford Arsenal Quick-n-EZ Case Tumbler off Amazon for $38; then went to PetSmart and purchased 10 qt (14 lb) bag of Zilla crushed walnut shells for $15, added a few drops of NuFinish, tumbled for about 2 hrs and my brass looks almost new!!! Tumbler is fairly quiet also!

Last edited:

Oni7734

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Speedway

Here's a post I did on my first tumbling session... It may help.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ading/275622-first_time_tumbling_session.html

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Why not look at a Berry tumbler? Made right here in the U.S.A. and in the same price range as the imported ones. Course if you wish to support the Red Chinese, go for it.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    Hey all. Just started reloading and I dont have a tumbler yet. So far have just been loading .308 and cleaning cases by hand. But was finally able to source SPP so I can start mass producing .40 and 9mm. What are the pros and cons of each type of case cleaning device. Vibration or rotary tumbler or go ultrasonic? Harbor Freight has a rotary 'rock' tumbler on sale for $40 this month. I just need some direction.

Optics Planet has Lyman 1200 Pro for under $60... That's about as low end as I'd go... Also I believe over $50 on there site is also free ground shipping.

Media Wise go to nearest Petsmart, Petco, PetsupplyPlus... Either Reptile Litter (100% crushed walnut shells) $7 or Bird Litter (100% ground corn cobs) $10 for polishing if you go that far... Toss a couple drier sheets on top before closing it up and dust won't be an issue.

:twocents:

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    I've got one of the Harbor Freight rock tumblers that I use with stainless steel media. I decided to get it for my first tumbler since it does such a good job cleaning, the pins will last forever, and all I need it dish soap and a dab of lemishine.

dj-vektor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Morgantown
    Yeah I think that's what they are. They were the only two in there after all the plastic was removed. They are geared together and both turn when turned on. I just found where the motor was, traced the wires to the power supply then wired a little switch in. Surprisingly easy.

vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    After seeing the printer tumbler I decided to try it. My printer had a smart supply so I wired around it with a 12v supply I had,metered 16v, the motor was rated 12-42vdc.
    It's running right now for my cost of $0,0¢,well except for media!

How long will it last...

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    If I was starting over, I would look into the latest and greatest, wet tumbling with stainless steel media. It really is overkill at the end of the day, but if you want the prettiest bras at the range, then that is the way to go.

I use a vibratory tumbler with walnut, then run em through corn cob to de-lube and get em shiny after processing.

It is all about your budget and what you want to accomplish. Any of the options you listed work.

Sorry, I don't wear a bra. My wife usually does but she just uses a washing machine.

armedhoosier451

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greensburg
    103_1887_zpsad302f66.jpg

I use nothing more than crushed walnut pet bedding, a cap full of Nu finish, and this tumbler! Tumble for 2-3 hours. Works great, and very cost effective! :rockwoot:

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Berry tumbler? Who sells them?

Cabela's sell them under the Berry name and also under the Cabela's name. Graff sell them, as does Natchez, Midway, most any reloading supplier.

They sell pretty much in the same price range as the imported ones but are made here in the USA:patriot: except for the motor, which BTW there is no supplier for here.

There you go folks, you have a choice, support our folks right here in the USA:patriot: or buy imported Chinese for the same price, take your pick.

Top Bottom