• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Still slowly looking at getting into reloading... Starting with a tumbler at the moment, to do some case prep at home as dad has a press I can use for now...

Haven't decided between rotary or vibratory... Vibratory is what dad has used for years, what I'm more familiar with, so probably going that direction for now...

Which brand? I don't need monster capacity, just would be loading 9mm and .223 for now.

Hornady, Lyman, Frankford Arsenal, RCBS?

Anyone used multiple brands, if so, which one was more reliable/lasted longest?
    Dad's had two so far I know of, I think both were Lyman. I know the first one was, can't remember what he has now, buried under assorted "stuff" on the workbench, lol...

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Still slowly looking at getting into reloading... Starting with a tumbler at the moment, to do some case prep at home as dad has a press I can use for now...

Haven't decided between rotary or vibratory... Vibratory is what dad has used for years, what I'm more familiar with, so probably going that direction for now...

Which brand? I don't need monster capacity, just would be loading 9mm and .223 for now.

Hornady, Lyman, Frankford Arsenal, RCBS?

Anyone used multiple brands, if so, which one was more reliable/lasted longest?
    Dad's had two so far I know of, I think both were Lyman. I know the first one was, can't remember what he has now, buried under assorted "stuff" on the workbench, lol...

You left out D I L L O N, they are the BEST:rockwoot:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Well the Lyman Trubo 1200 on sale looks like a great deal, too bad due to a sick kid (I had to stay home with) and tsunami-related production slowdowns at work, I won't have the money for a couple weeks, and probably won't be on sale then, lol.

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    I bought the cabela's brand. Warranty card is from Berry's MFG. I had a frankfort that stopped running so I bought the cabela's. Takes less time to clean the brass with the cabela'/berrys mfg brand.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    GE!!!!

The Girlfriend complains about the noise and says it makes it hard to get clean clothes butI can process 20,000 .223 brass in about 2 hours.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I can process 20k 9mm rounds in a couple hours in my cement mixer too. But that's not what the OP was asking... Are you planning on polishing loaded rounds, or only brass casings? I think that's an important point to look at.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Just polishing brass in an apartment to get some prepwork done at home before I take stuff over to dads to load.

Never saw a need to tumble loaded, nice shiny brass before loading, good enough for me after loading, lol.

Also, tumbling brass and nickel plated if that makes any difference. Not large quantities either. 200-300 at a time would be plenty.

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    I have been running a Lyman autoflo for about 8 years with no problems. The ability to pull the plug in bottom of tumbler and empty media is handy.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I gather from your previous post that you've probalby got more time than cash at this point. I'd just get a basic tumbler from Harbor Freight, or maybe a "Smart Reloader" brand one like this.

Midsouth*SMART RELOADER*SR 787 DREAM CASE TUMBLER 110 VOLT

There's not much to the things really. Get you some "Lizard bedding" bedding (walnut shells) from a pet store, some Nu Finish car wax and a colander to separate the media from the brass and your in business. Who cares if it has to run a little longer than some of the other options above, doesn't sound like you'll be doing multiple batches a week.

Last edited:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I gather from your previous post that you've probalby got more time than cash at this point. I'd just get a basic tumbler from Harbor Freight, or maybe a "Smart Reloader" brand one like this.

Midsouth*SMART RELOADER*SR 787 DREAM CASE TUMBLER 110 VOLT

There's not much to the things really. Get you some "Lizard bedding" bedding (walnut shells) from a pet store, some Nu Finish car wax and a colander to separate the media from the brass and your in business. Who cares if it has to run a little longer than some of the other options above, doesn't sound like you'll be doing multiple batches a week.

Yeah, that's why I liked the Turbo 1200 on sale at Midway, but the sale will probably be over before our reduced hours at work end... lol.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I really like the Hornady M-2. I believe the curved bowl has a better action. The old midway units were curved bowl, but it died after 10 years (no complaint, I used it a lot) and the new ones are different, so I bought the Hornady. I have polished (15) 5 gallon buckets of brass since Christmas, and it is holding up fine.

Top Bottom