• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jewelz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I grew up with the Ruger MkII ... It does the job but as it's been mentioned they are a pain to break down.

I haven't owned one but the Walther p22 seems to be a very comfortable fit for women and youth. The target model is available with the extended barrel for further accuracy (the basic model is rather compact).

Jewelz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    If you are looking to help teach wife/daughter, might I recommend a .22 top end for a gun you already have. They are available for a lot of common designs now and may come out cheaper and better suited than a whole new gun. I have a Ciener for my Glock which is a piece of **** and a Marvel for a 1911 that is amazing!!
    ^^^ This was going to be my other suggestion. Conversion kits are a great way to shoot cheap as well as ease them into some bigger calibers on the same weapon.

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I love my High Standards, but they are getting hard to come by in good condition. I would say think what you would like to shoot in case the wife doesn't take to the concept and you end up with it ;)

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I love my Model 41 but my MKIIs shoot pretty well too. Have you thought about a S&W Mod 17 revolver to teach them with. Very accurate and easy to use handgun. The transition from 22 to 38/357 would be pretty easy since they are basically the same gun.

Jimbovia

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Plainfield
    Not to knock any of the other fine weapons listed previously, but I happen to own a Walther SP22 M2 target pistol. It is very light, well balanced and accurate as all get out. Walther offers a few options for them light picatiny rail systems, and heavy weighted grips. Bradis in Camby/Mooresvile area has 2 M1 versions, which are the 4" barrel for $289 I think. The M2 is 6" barrel, but I bought the "last one" they will carry. Not exactly sure why, other than disassembly isn't what you would call simple.

Best of luck in your search.

R/
    Jim

Whitey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Connersville
    the Browning series of 22 hand guns are very nice for the money. I have a buckmark 5.5 and it shoots great with several kind of standard volocity ammo. never has jamed and i have shoot a lead mine throught it.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I know how you feel: I WILL have a model 41 some day soon. Its been a goal of mine for several years, so its on the short list of future gun purchases. Yes, its expensive, but it has so many things going for it, I'm willing to pay. :)

If your looking for a TARGET pistol for serious competition, You should be looking at a Hi-Standard or a Ruger with heavy mods - that's what the top bulls-eye shooters use. In reality, the Smith 41 and Browning Buckmark seldom make appearances at the top ranks of target shooting.

But I'm not a "serious" bullseye shooter: I'm good enough to engage small silhouette targets out to 100 yards, but I'm not a 1-hole group every time type shooter - The S&W 41 is beyond my current skill, and its a beautiful gun... That's why I want it.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Well if a picture is worth a thousand words... here you go. Katelyn is our youngest and fifty pounds soaking wet. She can handle either of our MKII or MKIII with ease and finds them to be very simple guns to shoot with a natural POA. They are probably the best valued 22 lr's on the market IMO. Of course as mentioned, a pain in the but to take down, but for now, that's my job - hers is to enjoy shooting

dsc05031x.jpg

deerslayer13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    indpls in
    i would have to say the marlin is a good target / hunting gun . i grew up shooting them and has been the only 22 i have really used for more than 20 years

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Just checked out the model 41 on GunBroker since i was unfamiliar with. For that kind of money, I could buy a bull barrel MKII or MKIII, a used car and a pallet of ammo

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Just checked out the model 41 on GunBroker since i was unfamiliar with. For that kind of money, I could buy a bull barrel MKII or MKIII, a used car and a pallet of ammo

Get your hands on a model 41 and shoot it bit, and you might understand the price. It's difficult to understand the value of something you know nothing about.

Then again, the used car will get you and the Mk II or III and the pallet of ammo to the range and back..... :patriot:

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    There's a reason the 41 is the most popular American made .22 Bullseye pistol at the Nationals.

They also do very well in the Steel Challenge game.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Once you go Model 41 smith you won't go back,

You don't see too many winning bullseye shooters using the Ruger products, Don't take that the wrong way the Rugers are Great in thier own class but you comparing the rugers and the smith 41's is like comparing a chevy work truck to a Rolls Silver Cloud.

Both will take you down the road but the precision of which they do it is different

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Another vote for the Ruger MKIII or 22/45 or Buckmark. I've owned both Rugers and Brownings (among others) over the years, and these two are my favorite. I prefer the Ruger, even though takedown is a little more involved. It's not rocket surgery, and once you've done it a couple times it's no big deal, but it is more of a pain than it should be. My boy chose a MKIII 22/45 5 1/2" Target for his first handgun earlier this summer, and it's been just as reliable and extremely accurate as my old MKII Target model was.

The 41 is one heck of a gun, and if you've got the coin and want to spend it you won't be disappointed, but the Rugers and Brownings are a lot more bang for the buck, IMHO.

Here's my boy with his Ruger:
    SeanandhisMKIII004.jpg

SeansnewRuger22005.jpg

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I got to put my plug in for the Ruger MK II. They just are hard to beat. Get the 512 and don't worry about it, you will be pleased. Put a thread on the barrel and you can be quietly pleased.

Top Bottom