• Status
    Not open for further replies.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    When everyone has pretty solid platforms and supports practically the same things, officially, how are you really going to tear each other apart over positions?

I get your point...but I drive a school bus every day...and hate to see presidential candidates acting like 8th graders!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Kinda a sad commentary on where we are...IMO.

Personal affronts have been part of politics since the start of politics. At least candidates don't openly refer to their opponents as the spawn of satan anymore.

In some ways, we really have become more civilized.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I get your point...but I drive a school bus every day...and hate to see presidential candidates acting like 8th graders!

I drove for 7 years, I know where you're coming from.

I'd blame the moderators for not putting a foot down. They won't because it makes for better ratings.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A brutal debate night and some off color comments shouldn't be enough to turn away supporters of any candidate. If it is, then you then you should really rethink who and why you're supporting them.

I'm not sure how a reason to support Trump could outweigh who he reveals himself to be unless you like the person that is.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm not sure how a reason to support Trump could outweigh who he reveals himself to be unless you like the person that is.

If you consider how deep he was in a metric ton of **** between the moderators and rivals for the whole debate, I have trouble believing anyone could have handled the situation better.

I'm not so sure I'd consider it to be "revealing himself." Unless you want to call Cruz a booger eater, and Rubio someone who's more concerned with hand size than issues.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    fify.

Neither party is gold - quite the opposite.

The problem as I see it is politicians have to lie to get elected. And even more so to get the vote of the extremes. Tell the truth, "Hey, Obamacare is the law of the land; the best we can do is make it work right", and you get bashed for being "liberal" instead of being praised for being honest.

Then after the election, reality sets in. Then, folks decry corruption and such because politicians can't stick to the promises they should have never uttered in the first place.

My solution? Quit electing people that pour honey in your ears.

If "the two party system" is corrupt and congress does blah, blah, and gov't blah, blah... then maybe your concept of how government can and should act is flawed. If you start with a flawed model, then you'll end up with flawed results.

So whats the bone about me complaining…..your doing the same. Ends the same way.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I am all for limited amounts of refugees being let into the country after thorough vetting by the FBI, but Trump does have a point look at what is happening with Europe with its large influx of Muslims. Hate to break it to people but the morality and socially acceptable standards of the Middle East are NOT comparable with that of the Western world at all.

Dude. I've read that 6 times. Did I miss a spoof reference? :D
    Eh, I make my own rulz.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Hey - what would be the fallout, if any, if Trump picked one of his kids as VP?

Ivanka would be the most competent, I think, but she may not want to take the pay cut and lose flexibility with her family.

One of the sons, though? I could totally see him going the nepotism route.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Hey - what would be the fallout, if any, if Trump picked one of his kids as VP?

Ivanka would be the most competent, I think, but she may not want to take the pay cut and lose flexibility with her family.

One of the sons, though? I could totally see him going the nepotism route.
    I really don't like nepotism. I don't care how competent the relative. I expect politicians to avoid even the appearance of corruption. If he wins and puts his family in his administration, he is already thrown up some red flags for corruption in my book.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Because it's pathetic that our first minority president is one of the most divisive presidents in our history. I don't know about things in your neck of the woods, but race relations everywhere I've been to have not been the best since he's been in office.

I'm not even sure how his ethnicity applies. If it's him, say it's him. Don't attribute it to his race, as if it's representative of his failings.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm not even sure how his ethnicity applies. If it's him, say it's him. Don't attribute it to his race, as if it's representative of his failings.

No, you're the one that's doing that.

I'm saying that as a minority figure, he above all should understand how divisiveness is bad for the country.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No, you're the one that's doing that.

I'm saying that as a minority figure, he above all should understand how divisiveness is bad for the country.

BS.... if Obama had said "Bush was a terrible president, who happens to be White" he would have been crucified by his detractors. The double standard here, is amazing. And why, as a minority, would Obama understand divisiveness better than non-minorities?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    BS.... if Obama had said "Bush was a terrible president, who happens to be White" he would have been crucified by his detractors. The double standard here, is amazing. And why, as a minority, would Obama understand divisiveness better than non-minorities?

Kut, I think the point was, as the first black president, there was an expectation that he would bring races together. But instead racial tension has increased because of the divisive political tactics he's employed to get his way. One such tactic is having his surrogates attack dissenters, who happen to be white, as racist because they disagree with the president, who happens to be black. That tactic worked very well in gaining political victories, especially in the first term, but at the expense of increased racial tension. Makes me think Obama doesn't care nearly as much for racial harmony as much as he cares for political victories at any cost. That has nothing to do with the fact that he's black. It has everything to do with the fact that he's willing to exploit his blackness for political gain.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kut, I think the point was, as the first black president, there was an expectation that he would bring races together. But instead racial tension has increased because of the divisive political tactics he's employed to get his way. One such tactic is having his surrogates attack dissenters, who happen to be white, as racist because they disagree with the president, who happens to be black. That tactic worked very well in gaining political victories, especially in the first term, but at the expense of increased racial tension. Makes me think Obama doesn't care nearly as much for racial harmony as much as he cares for political victories at any cost. That has nothing to do with the fact that he's black. It has everything to do with the fact that he's willing to exploit his blackness for political gain.

Who had that expectation? Obama didn't run on the "I'll be the first Black president and bring races together" platform? That's the political version of picking the black guy because you'll think he'll be good at basketball (which, I can tell you would be an epically bad idea if you pick me). I can't think of a single political victory he's had based on this personal belief, nor any inclination that he had surrogates push forward that agenda.
    Further, why must Obama care for racial harmony? Bush didn't, Clinton didn't, HW Bush didn't, nor Ronnie, nor Ford, nor Nixon...... why does Obama have to carry that flag? ....because he's Black?
    As he's a two term president, I don't buy into him being racially divisive. There aren't enough Black voters to solely put him into office sans widespread support from every other group of note. And I don't believe the American electorate is full of people that feel guilty about the sins of the past. If anything, the election of Obama has exposed a lot of nasty people for who they really are, both Black and White..... and I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom