Not open for further replies.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    As for myself I would have no qualms about voting for either Trump or DeSantis based upon their common belief in those core principles which I believe in as well.
    IF / when DeSantis throws his hat into the ring, I will consider him. Without digging, all I really know about him is his battle with Disney and his stance on covid; that’s all that comes to mind right now. That said, side by side, I’d have to lean Trump. Is that fair? For me, yes.

We knew nothing about Trump but he came through, IMO (not asking for yours here). Supporting DeSantis at this time would be, again IMO, a great risk. We know about Trump but know little about DeSantis; thus I’d have to vote for whom I know better.

Knowing that, if DeSantis runs and wins primary, he’ll have my full support.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    IF / when DeSantis throws his hat into the ring, I will consider him. Without digging, all I really know about him is his battle with Disney and his stance on covid; that’s all that comes to mind right now. That said, side by side, I’d have to lean Trump. Is that fair? For me, yes.

We knew nothing about Trump but he came through, IMO (not asking for yours here). Supporting DeSantis at this time would be, again IMO, a great risk. We know about Trump but know little about DeSantis; thus I’d have to vote for whom I know better.

Knowing that, if DeSantis runs and wins primary, he’ll have my full support.
    My point was, based on those core principles Trump and DeSantis are on equal ground. How then could it be a great risk to vote for DeSantis if he governs with them as a foundation? Do you believe he would abandon them as POTUS if he were elected? I certainly don't.

Last edited:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    My point was, based on those core principles Trump and DeSantis are on equal ground. How then could it be a great risk to vote for DeSantis if he governs with them as a foundation? Do you believe he would abandon them as POTUS if he were elected?
    I cannot answer that yet. I have not put any (much) effort into “considering” someone who has not officially placed their name on the paper.

I do like what I see at this time with what I know at this time, but not enough to change my mind with about any of it. What I do know is Trump is on the list and I like him above the others on the list.
    Can DeSantis change that, I don’t know. Is he even running?

BTW, in my eyes they are not on equal ground.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I cannot answer that yet. I have not put any (much) effort into “considering” someone who has not officially placed their name on the paper.

I do like what I see at this time with what I know at this time, but not enough to change my mind with about any of it. What I do know is Trump is on the list and I like him above the others on the list.
    Can DeSantis change that, I don’t know. Is he even running?

BTW, in my eyes they are not on equal ground.
    Well even though DeSantis has not officially entered the race yet it seems like you already view him as being to great of a risk to vote for if he did. Why would he be such a great risk if he were to enter the race is my question?

You speak of unknowns when DeSantis has proven as Govenor that he is guided by those core principles not only by his words but also backed up by his deeds, I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't carry over if he were elected as POTUS which is why I don't view him as much of a greater risk in voting for to counter your risk assessment if and when he should enter the race.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well even though DeSantis has not officially entered the race yet it seems like you already view him as a great risk if he did. Why would he be such a great risk if he were to enter the race is my question? You speak of unknowns. DeSantis has proven as Govenor that he is guided by those core principles which is why I don't view him as a great risk like you do if and when he should enter the race.
    Wait, if DeSantis isn't running, then why have I been seeing his campaign commercials on tv? :scratch:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Wait, if DeSantis isn't running, then why have I been seeing his campaign commercials on tv? :scratch:
    I'll admit that I haven't seen them. Were those specifically POTUS campaign commercials? If they are post Govenor campaign commercials touting his leadership qualities, then it would be an indication that he is running because he has already been re-elected as Governor. Either way I still haven't seen any official announcement.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'll admit that I haven't seen them. Were those specifically POTUS campaign commercials? If they are post Govenor campaign commercials touting his leadership qualities, then it would be an indication that he is running because he has already been re-elected as Governor. Either way I still haven't seen any official announcement.
    Well, now I don't remember for sure. I just know I've seen a few recently. I'll try and pay closer attention if I see one again.

Reactions: KG1

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Well, now I don't remember for sure. I just know I've seen a few recently. I'll try and pay closer attention if I see one again.
    That's cool. I'm not saying that there hasn't been any recently but if there has been then IMO it's an indication that he is running.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    Well even though DeSantis has not officially entered the race yet it seems like you already view him as being to great of a risk to vote for if he did. Why would he be such a great risk if he were to enter the race is my question?

Did you even read my post? “I do like what I see with what I know”.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    He hasn't announced yet. I think he wants to run but also wants to govern Florida as long as possible. I guess the state law won't let him run for another office while being Governor. So he has to resign to run. I think he'll announce at the point where he thinks he either has to **** or get off the pot.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    He hasn't announced yet. I think he wants to run but also wants to govern Florida as long as possible. I guess the state law won't let him run for another office while being Governor. So he has to resign to run. I think he'll announce at the point where he thinks he either has to **** or get off the pot.
    I thought I saw somewhere that they passed some legislation to change that and it would allow him to run.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Looks like the Republican majorities in the Fla. House and Senate voted to pass the bill along party lines as part of a larger election reform bill that would allow a sitting Governor to run exclusively for POTUS or VP. and still maintain their position. Looks like it's waiting for DeSantis to sign it.

Democrat minorities are crying foul and I have to admit that they may have a legit beef.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I thought I saw somewhere that they passed some legislation to change that and it would allow him to run.
    Not diggin that. Would they pass such a law if Charlie Crist were running for potus while governor of FL? So basically, if there's a law against what you want to do, and the legislature will do whatever you ask, use that to get around the law. I mean, it's the democratic process. Kinda swampy if you ask me.

See. This is the thing that kinda irritates me about DeSantis. I think he has pretty good political instincts in some areas. And I think he knows how to get things done. But in other areas he seems to lack self-awareness. Sometimes, just because you can get a certain thing done, like getting around a law that you find inconvenient for your political aspirations, doesn't mean you should.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Not diggin that. Would they pass such a law if Charlie Crist were running for potus while governor of FL? So basically, if there's a law against what you want to do, and the legislature will do whatever you ask, use that to get around the law. I mean, it's the democratic process. Kinda swampy if you ask me.

See. This is the thing that kinda irritates me about DeSantis. I think he has pretty good political instincts in some areas. And I think he knows how to get things done. But in other areas he seems to lack self-awareness. Sometimes, just because you can get a certain thing done, like getting around a law that you find inconvenient for your political aspirations, doesn't mean you should.
    Yep. It surely does represent some mighty poor optics.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    One has to wonder if DeSantis had to step down first to run for POTUS that he would do it for the simple reason that he and the Fla Republican led House and Senate cooked this up as a fallback to pave the way so he could run and still retain his gig as Gov.

"Republicans pushed back on the sharp criticism over the “resign-to-run” tweak, noting most other states don’t have such laws and they were trying to clear up any legal ambiguity on whether it applies to someone who wants to run for president."

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think you could say it more accurately. Talk **** about someone and they tend to push back.

You still owe me that explanation, BTW.

:popcorn:
    I don't 'owe' you anything, you demanded something and I told you why I believe it a waste of my time

There is no way to tell the difference between if I accurately describe your true motivations but you don't wish to admit them and I am actually wrong about your motivations. Both result in you claiming I am wrong, and unlike the people who claim to know why Trump 'really' does something, I am not a mind reader so cannot sort that out

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Well, I saw he was in Israel, and when I criticized his push as a US representative for Puerto Rican statehood I was told he had a lot of constituents who were Puerto Rican. So I guess he must have a lot of constituents who are jewish, too. Couldn't possibly be trying to play a statesman on TV

I guess he isn't going to run unless he doesn't have to go all in and give up his gig as governor. That alone makes me wonder about his commitment to his supposed principles. If he thinks he's the man who can save the republic, I would think having a fall back position wouldn't enter into consideration

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom