• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You think Trump would replace Vance? Should he?

I mean I’m sure there was some strategic reason for picking him vs Biden at the top of the ticket.

That strategy might not be the same with Kamala at the top.
    I think Trump picked Vance because he likes him. There's not really any strategic reason other than that he's smart for an Ohio State grad, a pretty good debater. Often presidential candidates choose a running mate from a key battle ground state believing that picking someone from that state will bring in more votes. There are other strategies as well.

I don't really see it as a strategic move. I think Trump feels like he's going to win, so he just picked who he wants.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I never thought I would say this, but after Trump's reaction as the secret service stood him up and now a return to Butler Pennsylvania I am truly impressed with his bravado. And I mean that in the most complimentary and positive sense.

Those memes where the secret service are trying to pick up his enormous balls may be more true than just hyperbolic.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I think Trump picked Vance because he likes him. There's not really any strategic reason other than that he's smart for an Ohio State grad, a pretty good debater. Often presidential candidates choose a running mate from a key battle ground state believing that picking someone from that state will bring in more votes. There are other strategies as well.

I don't really see it as a strategic move. I think Trump feels like he's going to win, so he just picked who he wants.
    @jamil has valid points.

For myself I believe he picked someone he believed with largely outside the Republican Party machine. He knows what the party did to him in 2016. Pence, Haley and the rest of the party Insiders helped undermine him. I don't think he's looking for a repeat.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    @jamil has valid points.

For myself I believe he picked someone he believed with largely outside the Republican Party machine. He knows what the party did to him in 2016. Pence, Haley and the rest of the party Insiders helped undermine him. I don't think he's looking for a repeat.
    I think the narrative that he picked Vance to have a younger standard bearer for MAGA fits pretty well.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    His 2016 pick was strategic. Maybe he learned his lesson about strategic picks. And went with someone ideologically aligned. Who he hopes won’t stab him in the back.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel

Agree- Vance offers nothing strategically. For a close election, a Haley or Youngkin is a strategic choice.

His 2016 pick was strategic. Maybe he learned his lesson about strategic picks. And went with someone ideologically aligned. Who he hopes won’t stab him in the back.
    You mean when he won? He needed to convince people he wasn’t a Brooklyn Democrat, so he picked a clear conservative. Pence toed the line well during times of chaos and bs. His legacy would be garbage had he overthrown an election as VP.

While I do think Kamala is enjoying a honeymoon and full on embrace from the media and Hollywood- the polls are all tight and a race again. Golf needs to take a break.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The first order of business for the 2016 Trump team was winning, a highly improbable outcome was achieved, so the pick was highly successful. In governing it sucked…

Top Bottom