• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Well my 2006 explorer crapped out on me at only 70K miles. Needs a new transmission which on it is fairly expensive, as well as an additional 600 in leaks repairs etc.

I have decided to sell it and cut my losses, friend of the mechanic has been wanting a clean one he can fix up. I might put the 3-4K into fixing it but having explorers my whole life I know I am approaching the dreaded ball joint squeak and a water pump in the near future.

I think i am finally set on crew cab truck. I am sick of toting a hitch carrier for deer hunting and borrowing trailers from in-laws for hauling deer stands, mulch, counches etc...

Prob going to be looking for a 2009 or newer. Anyone know of a brand/year to stear clear of. Mostly a bad tranny year. Everyone I know says stay away from dodges for some reason.

Thanks for the input.

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    The year of truck you are looking at it shouldn't be an issue with the transmission on a dodge. I'm not a dodge fan, but the newer ones are pretty nice.

I've got a 99 suburban that has served well for the 200k it has on it, so GM is probably good to go.

I'd love me another F150 but I don't wan the payment. Ford would be my #1 recommendation

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    As a mechanic i say stay away from all Chrysler vehicles. Other than that i have not seen any big issue with Ford or GM trucks. I like Ford over GM tho.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Steer clear of Expeditions.

Get a Tahoe or Suburban.

I am a Ford guy. 2 Foxes, 89 F-250 daily driver, 07 F-350 for the wife. Just bought a 99 Expy and mechanically I hate it.

We put 273,000 on the wife '96 burb. Of course it did spontaneously combust itself in the driveway while raining. (I think starter got wet and shorted)

We had her '01 burb and it was more reliable than the '96. I would steer clear of any For Modular (Triton) motor. They blow plugs out, break them, and regularly leak oil/coolant out of head and intake gaskets or the manifold itself. The Chevy 5.3 and whole LS series engine seems pretty bulletproof, and I miss the old '01 burb.

We got the Expy because it had better ground clearance, a better driver seat position, and more legroom for the kids. But I have owned it three weeks only to watch the following failures (I think the used car lot covered many of them up)

Truck is a '99 with 104K miles and 4.6/4R70W tranny.

• Tranny noise and shudder after 2 weeks. Pulled pan to change fluid and filter and notice bottom of pan is coated in thick grease???? New fluid/filter did help shifting and a shudder it had though. Noise is less but still there. Time to save for a new tranny and a tranny jack.:xmad:

• Blows oil out the passenger side head gasket on way home. Subsequent research found this to be a common problem. Replace head gasket right......oh wait, you have to pull the motor to do that. :xmad: Discovered this on the 100 mile drive home with it. Don't know how I missed it at the dealer, I crawled all over with it running and didn't notice any odor. We both drove it and I crawled all over it again.
    • Starter went out on day 4. This was fun doing in 20 degree weather. Go in through passenger side wheel well only to find wheel bound to brake rotor. I tried to tap the tire to dislodge it to no joy. Moved up to full on swings with a rubber mallet and still would not budge, lugs off, tire up in the air. May have just been the starter time, may have because it was drenched in oil.

• 2.5 weeks in the check engine light comes on. Turns out to be the EGR code. Research on this reveals that the instead of mounting the sensor on the valve like the old 302/351 models they run remote lines to the sensor near the brake booster. These, and the two tiny holes in the intake manifold clog up with exhaust soot and require removal of the intake to clean up. (this was a 5 minute fix on a 302 when I had to do it in 1994 (still fixed today!) I will probably just do this when I pull the engine to fix the oil now spewing out the back of the head.

• Rear wiper bound itself on day 3 after being home. Started working intermittently. Evidently this happens to some. Maybe just the early models, but requires dis-assembly and lube.

• I looked at 2 '03 Expy's with major rust issues. Which I though odd for an '03.

• Heat, they are know to have the rear heat go out often. Plastic blend doors or actuators break, or the heater cores clog up. Front sometimes goes too. I bought ours knowing the blend door was broken and thought I would just fix it. That quickly moved down the list of needs with this PO....errr....truck.

If you want SUV, stick with Tahoe/Suburban. They will save you a lot of hassle and money.

I have had this truck 3 weeks, and have driven it 3 days. My beat to poo '89 F-250 with 351 and C-6 is FAR more reliable, WAY easier to work on, and ironically gets about the same milage. Of course it hard to cram the whole family in the cab.

My '92 Mustang still has the stock short block, and top end I put on it in '95! with no issues since. I love the old windsor small blocks. The new(er) Tritons have too many issues to compete with LS or the old (Windsors). Hopefully the new Coyote and 6.2 Ford do better than the Triton.

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have an '01 F250sd 5.4 v8. Love the truck, hate the gas mileage. However, while looking at trucks I didn't consider dodge as I heard to stay away from them and they didn't appeal to me to begin with. Chevy/gm trucks didn't impress me.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Count my vote for a Tundra or a Tacoma. I would typically recommend a GM truck, but the Tacos and Tundras have come a LONG way. If you want a sporty truck, Tacoma XRunner. If you want a full size load bearing truck, Tundra.

If you want an SUV, my vote would then go back to the GM side for a Tahoe or a Suburban.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    As a mechanic i say stay away from all Chrysler vehicles. [STRIKE]Other than that i have not seen any big issue with Ford or GM trucks. I like Ford over GM tho[/STRIKE].

yeah, Chrysler products ending with 7 I have heard to be a no no. (5.7)
    and many others..
    and yeah the Ford trucks are very nice, but I guess we all have taste buds in different areas! ;)

Glocker 400

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Get a Toyota Tundra. When it's time for me to trade my vehicles, I'm getting rid of my American made junk. I am sick of repair after repair. If you do buy a domestic nameplate, the Chevy or GM 5.3 models are supposedly pretty good. At least the parts shouldn't be overly expensive when it finally starts falling apart.

Whatever you buy, for the good of your sanity and wallet, stay the heck away from ANYTHING that says "Dodge" or "Ram" on it. Pure junk.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Been pleased with my 2010 F150 Lariat S-crew. Tons of room inside. When I bought it I looked at the Tundra and briefly looked at Silverado's. I'd buy a Hyundai car before I bought anything with a GM badge. The Tundra is nice but I didn't like how they I'd the packages of optional equipment. To get the same equipment I have on the Ford it was another couple grand and Toyota didn't want to deal. The only thing I hated on my Ford was the Pirelli Scorpion tires, what a pile of trash, really should've done pull offs. It struck me as odd since I run pirelli's on my BMW. Anyway, like you I was coming off a premature failure on a transmission (Nissan Pathfinder) so I was a little gun shy. I tow a 6x14 enclosed trailer quite a bit with dirt bikes and off road, no issues in 45K

MrBBQ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Been pleased with my 2010 F150 Lariat S-crew. Tons of room inside. When I bought it I looked at the Tundra and briefly looked at Silverado's. I'd buy a Hyundai car before I bought anything with a GM badge. The Tundra is nice but I didn't like how they I'd the packages of optional equipment. To get the same equipment I have on the Ford it was another couple grand and Toyota didn't want to deal. The only thing I hated on my Ford was the Pirelli Scorpion tires, what a pile of trash, really should've done pull offs. It struck me as odd since I run pirelli's on my BMW. Anyway, like you I was coming off a premature failure on a transmission (Nissan Pathfinder) so I was a little gun shy. I tow a 6x14 enclosed trailer quite a bit with dirt bikes and off road, no issues in 45K

X2 on not liking the pirellis. They were on my last truck and caused death wobble. Couldn't find anything wrong in the front end, turned out to be the tires.

For those who aren't familiar with the DW, forward to 1:30, had to check my pants after that happened to me... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EuQ6f8rgT4

Top Bottom