• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Go buy a $10 pre paid cell phone. Place a sign on each tree where you find a stand that says, "FOUND Tree stand Brand/manufacture ABCXYZ. Call ###-###-#### (pre paid number) to claim. Have the Sheriff there with you when he comes to claim the tree stand.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Go buy a $10 pre paid cell phone. Place a sign on each tree where you find a stand that says, "FOUND Tree stand Brand/manufacture ABCXYZ. Call ###-###-#### (pre paid number) to claim. Have the Sheriff there with you when he comes to claim the tree stand.

Slick idea!

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    After all the OP has been subjected to how would you handle this.......Fair question.

One thing I would never do is destruction of someone else's property....believe it or not despite it being placed illegally and no doubt knowingly you could still have a counter suit filed and be at fault....not too mention the threatening nature of putting bullet holes in stuff raises flags to your character as well.

I would do a number of things, first and foremost would be written permission from the landowner to be the one who contacts the police/DNR and full permission to pursue catching the trespassing in the act (whether parents or not this needs to happen if my name isn't on the deed). From there I"m hanging dummy (non-working) cams at eye level spots with others hung high (10feet or higher angled down on the cams or known access points to catch in the act.

I also liked the idea of a pre-paid phone and leaving notes on the now empty trees with "call to reclaim your stands" and having the police there when you schedule a meet up.

Everything though must start with that written statement from landowner and then a knock or call to the neighbor with respectful but strong honesty about what will ensue if they continue to practicing illegal activities.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One thing I would never do is destruction of someone else's property....believe it or not despite it being placed illegally and no doubt knowingly you could still have a counter suit filed and be at fault....not too mention the threatening nature of putting bullet holes in stuff raises flags to your character as well.

I would do a number of things, first and foremost would be written permission from the landowner to be the one who contacts the police/DNR and full permission to pursue catching the trespassing in the act (whether parents or not this needs to happen if my name isn't on the deed). From there I"m hanging dummy (non-working) cams at eye level spots with others hung high (10feet or higher angled down on the cams or known access points to catch in the act.

I also liked the idea of a pre-paid phone and leaving notes on the now empty trees with "call to reclaim your stands" and having the police there when you schedule a meet up.

Everything though must start with that written statement from landowner and then a knock or call to the neighbor with respectful but strong honesty about what will ensue if they continue to practicing illegal activities.

Good points all. Thanks for the response.
    My BIL has had similar issues as well as friends with hunting property. After trying every avenue short of strangulation they have resorted to more direct approaches. These seem to be working at least for now. No bullets in the air but there are a few trees felled stand side down. There have been blocking walls erected where tree stand are set up to look into their property. This one has had a great effect. One friend actually got pics of the A$$ hat cutting down the erected blocker (4"X4" posts with sheets of 1/2" plywood blocking his view from that stand) DNR did handle this for him with that evidence. Trespassers and poachers suck....period.

My favorite is the blow up sex dolls my BIL puts in the stands with an ESAD note attached.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    One thing I would never do is destruction of someone else's property.

One detail here: is it not true that a deer stand put on your property without permission belongs to you, the landowner?

BTW, I'm not recommending rigging it in a way to hurt somebody but just asking for clarification on the "ownership" issue. If I'm correct, "destruction" isn't a problem. Intentionally compromising someone's safety could still be an issue.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    One detail here: is it not true that a deer stand put on your property without permission belongs to you, the landowner?

BTW, I'm not recommending rigging it in a way to hurt somebody but just asking for clarification on the "ownership" issue. If I'm correct, "destruction" isn't a problem. Intentionally compromising someone's safety could still be an issue.
    not really, in most counties you must notify the authorities if you find something of value on your property. Then if it is not claimed after a certain time you get to keep it..
    My area's CO told me to attach his card to the tree from where the Stand was removed from.. and if the owner really wanted to report the stand missing he could..

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola

Removal sure but I have heard crazy crap get done in law suits by people despite their own illegal activity...I am not going to let their be any kind of interpretation of the law on whether it is destruction or not.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    not really, in most counties you must notify the authorities if you find something of value on your property. Then if it is not claimed after a certain time you get to keep it..
    My area's CO told me to attach his card to the tree from where the Stand was removed from.. and if the owner really wanted to report the stand missing he could..

Sweet

Top Bottom