• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The trekkies who got pulled over in Illinois for a BS reason and then had their Rights violated by one of the boys in blue are suing. Good for them. I hope they take these guys to the cleaners and set a precedent that does some serious damage to these goons abilities to harass innocent people traveling on the highways. Hope it will stand as an example to cops everywhere. Now, if we could only get the money taken from the cops pockets and pensions, instead of the taxpayers, we'd be getting somewhere.

Terrance Huff Files Lawsuit Against Illinois Police Officer Michael Reichert Over 'Trekkie Traffic Stop'

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Now, if we could only get the money taken from the cops pockets and pensions, instead of the taxpayers, we'd be getting somewhere.

Well, we could, and I'm just throwing it out there because, you know, it's my hobby horse, have all judgments against the police for civil rights violations paid from police pensions.;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Fixed it for you

No, taking it from the guilty party does not provide the proper incentive for the police to maintain an internal culture of respect for constitutional rights.

Perhaps you could have a priority in enforcing the judgment. Say the first 50% comes from the invidual officer(s) pension, but collective punishment must be included or you will not have the necessary internal blanket parties to keep rogue officers in line.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Don't get any false sense of security just because we're in Indiana and not in Illinois or Ohio. According to the Institute for Justice, Indiana gets a disappointing C+ when it comes to civil forfeiture laws.

The Institute for Justice

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does civil forfeiture in Indiana (or anywhere) have to do with this case?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does civil forfeiture in Indiana (or anywhere) have to do with this case?
    That's likely what the cop in the original story was fishing for, besides wanting to make an arrest. They get to keep what they steal and it looks good on your reviews if you're a good performing, raking in the cash. That's why Tennessee is so gungho to steal peoples money on the highway. They don't even have to prove a crime, just that you had a wad on you.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    That's likely what the cop in the original story was fishing for, besides wanting to make an arrest. They get to keep what they steal and it looks good on your reviews if you're a good performing, raking in the cash. That's why Tennessee is so gungho to steal peoples money on the highway. They don't even have to prove a crime, just that you had a wad on you.
    That's a jump from the issue at hand, which is the search. Did the prosecutor initiate forfeiture proceedings in this case?

What crimes can give rise to civil forfeiture in Illinois? Is the county in question notorious for abuses of the forfeiture law?

Seems the stop itself is sufficient grist for discussion, without speculating on what else could have been going on (but about which we have no information whatsoever).

Lupin3rd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It's not immediately obvious why civil forfeiture applies to the OP's article. In the first paragraph, there was a link to the original Huffington Post article reporting the whole incident. I read through the whole thing and it didn't mention that the man's money was seized until the last paragraph. It wasn't a well written article but the info is all there.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I just watched the video originally. I didn't realize they had gotten rid of him once but the court of appeals ordered him back...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That's a jump from the issue at hand, which is the search. Did the prosecutor initiate forfeiture proceedings in this case?

What crimes can give rise to civil forfeiture in Illinois? Is the county in question notorious for abuses of the forfeiture law?

Seems the stop itself is sufficient grist for discussion, without speculating on what else could have been going on (but about which we have no information whatsoever).

I would consider the forfeiture angle to be integral so far as being the obvious motive. My guess is that if, say the Supremes delcare forfeiture illegal across the board, then aggressive interdiction and questionable/illegal searches and seizures will drop down to nothing almost instantly.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Having money on you is enough in most jurisdictions. They can steal it then force you to prove it's legal money in court. "Can I search your vehicle" or "my dog alerted on something" should be replaced with what they're actually saying. "Stand and deliver".

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I just got back from working there for 2 weeks following the hail storm. Plenty of nice people but you couldn't pay me enough to live there. 1 hour north or south and right across the border maybe.....

Top Bottom