Traveling to Las Vegas via Airline. CC in the Grand Canyon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Hello all,

I will be on a business trip in Las Vegas later this year. While we are there my wife and I plan to hike the Grand Canyon. When I asked my wife if she would be willing to go on a couple of the longer but more popular hikes, she reluctantly agreed and said that since we would be on 7-8+ hr hikes, she would feel safer if we were armed. Her reluctance had more to do with her fear of wildlife as she has stated that she has always wanted to hike the GC as well. So, since AZ is 2A friendly, I figured it would be doable. And, since I don't want to carry around my 870 ;) I figured I would send either my H&K USP 40 or my Sig P220.

So I did a little research and found out that I could either UPS it or send it checked baggage with the airline. But, I also found out that while my Utah and Indiana CC permits are both good in Arizona neither is recognized by Nevada.

Is it possible to have my firearm with me in Nevada, locked in the safe at the hotel and then transport it in the car when we head to the Grand Canyon until we get into Arizona?

I tried to research this before posting, but only found some posts on transporting via Airlines, etc. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Nevada does now recognize an AZ permit. You can get one through the mail. You will need proof of firearms training. Many of the NRA classes qualify. With AZ you will also get one or two states in addition to those covered by IN and UT.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Many places you will be in the Grand Canyon are Indian Reservations. Your CCW rights may not apply there.

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Nevada does now recognize an AZ permit. You can get one through the mail. You will need proof of firearms training. Many of the NRA classes qualify. With AZ you will also get one or two states in addition to those covered by IN and UT.

I wonder if the class I took when I applied for my Utah CC permit would apply for the AZ permit?

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    My Brother and I hiked it years back.
    Both of us carried 16 lbs. of water, food and sleeping gear.
    Walked a 8"-12" ledge 600 yards that dropped a 1/2 mile straight down.
    We saw some cat tracks nearly the size of dinner plates.
    Jumped into the 45 degree river to wash the 40 lbs. of dust off.
    We spent the night at the bottom.
    100 Degree's at midnight with constant 60 mph winds.
    Two hikers were extracted the previous night with Med Vac helo's
    due to scorpion stings.

I was talking to God on the hike out, thought I was dying.

Best overnight trip I've ever experienced.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    You can get one through the mail. You will need proof of firearms training. Many of the NRA classes qualify. With AZ you will also get one or two states in addition to those covered by IN and UT.

Im going thru the process now, and planned to do a small write up on my experence. I looked into all 3 (FL, UT, and AZ), and AZ was the best choice for me.

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Many places you will be in the Grand Canyon are Indian Reservations. Your CCW rights may not apply there.

Interesting, I didn't even consider that. I assumed that it was a National Park.

Also, while I am not certain, I thought that unless you are a member of the particular tribe, then their laws do not apply and ultimately federal/state laws do. I may be wrong though.

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    My Brother and I hiked it years back.
    Both of us carried 16 lbs. of water, food and sleeping gear.
    Walked a 8"-12" ledge 600 yards that dropped a 1/2 mile straight down.
    We saw some cat tracks nearly the size of dinner plates.
    Jumped into the 45 degree river to wash the 40 lbs. of dust off.
    We spent the night at the bottom.
    100 Degree's at midnight with constant 60 mph winds.
    Two hikers were extracted the previous night with Med Vac helo's
    due to scorpion stings.

I was talking to God on the hike out, thought I was dying.

Best overnight trip I've ever experienced.

Note to self: make sure I never let my wife read this post! ;) And, I think we'll stick with the more popular frequently travelled trails.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I wonder if the class I took when I applied for my Utah CC permit would apply for the AZ permit?

Call AZ dept of safety. As of July 20th, they have changed the requirements of what they accept. I just recieved my AZ permit last week and used my UT CFP for the training requirement--- this may no longer be the case... :(

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Im going thru the process now, and planned to do a small write up on my experence. I looked into all 3 (FL, UT, and AZ), and AZ was the best choice for me.
    Arizona is a good, but often overlooked option. If you already meet their training requirement it is the least expensive way to carry in Ohio. Arizona + Utah is cheaper than Florida alone if renewal costs are factored in and gains you MN,NM,NV, and KS.

Top Bottom