• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaksun7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    I will be going to the Chicago area(Bolingbrook) in a couple of weeks and just wondering once i cross the state line what the law is as far as a hand gun in the car. Does it have to be locked in a personal gunsafe? ok to put it in the glove box locked(no trunk, ill be in a truck)? Or better just to leave it at home? I do have my Ltch but i know that doesnt carry in weight in IL. Any info regarding this will be apreciated.

Thanks
    Jaks

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    It has improved since Illinois now has a Concealed Carry Permit.

You may keep the handgun on you as long as you are in the car. When you exit the car, it needs to be locked in the glove box.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It has improved since Illinois now has a Concealed Carry Permit.

You may keep the handgun on you as long as you are in the car. When you exit the car, it needs to be locked in the [STRIKE]glove box[/STRIKE].

It needs to be locked in the car. The law doesn't specify where. Either in a locked case or in a locked car. Wouldn't make much sense not to lock your car, so that would cover it.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    As I understand it, it's OK to have it in the glove box, but it can't leave it. So, no taking into a hotel, business or house or anything.
    Can you not take it into your hotel if in luggage? I know you can't CC... But a hotel is private property. I think you can keep it in your room legally. Thoughts?

jaksun7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Thanks for the info guys. Just 1 other question i assume it is a "must inform" state if i was to get pulled over?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    The new law in Illinois is you must declare the firearm IF ASKED, cop does not ask you are not required to volunteer the information. Yes you may carry the handgun in the vehicle loaded and it must be out of sight. Unless the hotel has a "no firearms" policy you may take it into your room. The trick is you must unload and place inside a case while traveling from the vehicle to the room. Yes it is stupid but still better than it was a year ago. Jim.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Anybody have links to the text of this new Illinois law? For our yearly trip to Wisconsin, I used to have to stop just this side of the state line and switch to the safe for the drive up 39. If I don't have to do that now, that would be great.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    The new law in Illinois is you must declare the firearm IF ASKED, cop does not ask you are not required to volunteer the information. Yes you may carry the handgun in the vehicle loaded and it must be out of sight. Unless the hotel has a "no firearms" policy you may take it into your room. The trick is you must unload and place inside a case while traveling from the vehicle to the room. Yes it is stupid but still better than it was a year ago. Jim.
    I guess if I ever have a reason to go or stay in that state, I will act illegally!

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    If you must travel to Chicago I would advise the following:

1) Make sure you have life insurance
    2) Make sure you have a living will
    3) Make sure you tell all your family members how much you love them
    4) Make sure to have an attorney on retainer in case you are arrested for violating any of the Supreme Leaders of Illinois laws.
    5) Decide if you should take you gun based on if you can accept serving prison time for doing so. Is your life more important?
    6) 3 words: Bullet Proof Vest.
    7) Never look anyone in the eye. If you accidentally bump into someone immediately fake a heart attack so they are less likely to attack you.
    8) Keep an eye out for Illinois politicians on the run from the law. Most of them are either in prison or on the run and will do anything to avoid capture. Never approach any Illinois politician. Immediately call the FBI and retreat.

Top Bottom