• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OVERTHEHILLGUY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NEAR GREENWOOD, INDI
    I plan on going to the grand american trapshoot held in Sparta Ill. latter this summer.
    Will I have any trouble traveling with my trusty Glock 26 in my car?
    Are there any laws, state or local that I should be aware of?
    I understand that Ill . is Not a gun friendly state.
    Why in the world would the ATA settle in a state that does not like firearms??

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Illinois has some very easy to comply with gun transport laws if you have an IN LTCH. There are several threads on this issue. Simply unload the gun and put it in a gun case or gun rug. The magazine can remain loaded and the magazine can be in the same case as the gun. Generally stay out of Chicago with a handgun. Downstate is actually pretty much pro-gun.

There is actually a court ruling that states you can put the gun in your glovebox or armrest.

Here is the most current court ruling: http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinions/SupremeCourt/2011/April/109130.pdf

Here is a document from the ILL STATE POLICE: http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

News report about court rule that allows out of state residents: Illinois Court Allows Nonresidents to Transport Guns

Probably the most informative thread on the topic: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...gotta_go_to_communist_occupied_il_friday.html

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I can't add anything to melansdad's post since he pretty much covered it.

The only thing I might add is that Chicago is part of Illinois, but Illinois is not Chicago. The Illinois Rifle and Pistol Association is one of the largest and most active of all the State Associations. There is a plethora of rifle and pistol and shotguns ranges in the state. The state highpower teams with their AR's is always one of the top teams in the country.

Illinois is also home to Springfield Armory and Rock River Arms.

I would not call Illinois an anti-gun state, but I will call chicago an anti-gun city.

Check this out....Illinois State Rifle Association

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Also visit the NRA site. Site does provide good info, especially on the state of Illinois. On their home page, just click on "gun laws" at the top of the page. You may also want to read the Firearms Owners' Protection Act(FOPA).

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I can't add anything to melansdad's post since he pretty much covered it.

The only thing I might add is that Chicago is part of Illinois, but Illinois is not Chicago. The Illinois Rifle and Pistol Association is one of the largest and most active of all the State Associations. There is a plethora of rifle and pistol and shotguns ranges in the state. The state highpower teams with their AR's is always one of the top teams in the country.

Illinois is also home to Springfield Armory and Rock River Arms.

I would not call Illinois an anti-gun state, but I will call chicago an anti-gun city.

Check this out....Illinois State Rifle Association
    That's a very good point about Chicago. You might throw in Springfield. Rep coming your way, sir.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    "Rather be tried by 12 then carried by six" comes to mind
    And you'd be found guilty too.

If you bother to actually read the thread, its easy to comply with the Illinois law and still have easy access to your firearm. Advocating illegal carry is not very bright and in the state of Illinois will have you put in prison.

Why did the ATA move the Grand to Sparta, IL? $$$$$$
    Illinois is the home to some large shooting competitions. The state is actually very pro-gun once you get outside of Chicago-land. I can think of about a half-dozen gun manufacturers that have factories in the state. There is a very long tradition of shooting TRAP in Illinois, the ATA Grand is just one of the many competitions held in Illinois.

Its easy to proclaim that the state is anti-gun, the state is not. Chicago-land is.

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Actually, it's too bad they didn't take Indiana up on their offer. It still doesn't make sense to put the largest trap tournament an hour away from motels & civilization. The whole thing was a backdoor money deal. Anyway, I would like to know who those 6 gun manufacturers are in Illinois. And if they actually produce there, or just use the corporate office address to import them.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Actually, it's too bad they didn't take Indiana up on their offer. It still doesn't make sense to put the largest trap tournament an hour away from motels & civilization. The whole thing was a backdoor money deal. Anyway, I would like to know who those 6 gun manufacturers are in Illinois. And if they actually produce there, or just use the corporate office address to import them.

A back door money deal? In Illinois? The hell you say!

harley888

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    And you'd be found guilty too.

If you bother to actually read the thread, its easy to comply with the Illinois law and still have easy access to your firearm. Advocating illegal carry is not very bright and in the state of Illinois will have you put in prison.

so by stating a quote brought to mind- I didn't read the thread and I'm advocating illegal carry? maybe illegal carry- 'cus if you would think things thru- it would be hard to justify being dead- but you didn't break a law-

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    You asked for 6, but here are 7 manufacturers that I can think of pretty quick that are bases in Illinois. None simply have a corporate office.

DSA makes some, imports some. Springfield Armory imports lots of parts from the Phillipean Islands (sp?) makes some.

Detonics makes all their parts in house except barrels and magazines, but those are both US sourced. ArmaLite makes most of their stuff, as do Les Baer Customs, Rock River Arms and Lewis Machine & Tool.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    If you are traveling through Chicago,and you take the wrong exit,or an accident closes the interstate,...say it's late at night,your car breaks down in the wrong neighborhood,ect.ect. You may well wish you had exercised your constitutional rights in spite of the criminal rulings of the filthy politicians in Chicago!

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    If you are traveling through Chicago,and you take the wrong exit,or an accident closes the interstate,...say it's late at night,your car breaks down in the wrong neighborhood,ect.ect. You may well wish you had exercised your constitutional rights in spite of the criminal rulings of the filthy politicians in Chicago!
    :rolleyes: You can still carry your unloaded pistol with a loaded mag in a fanny pack on your person. If you are about to be attacked how long does it take to load and be ready: 10 seconds, 15? Do it legal and you're still okay. After all, this isn't Ohio!

Top Bottom