• ...and so much more!
  • In US dollars:

• Total voters

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I chose $200-250... but that number varies a LOT depending on the training, the teacher, and the class size, the value I personally place on the information being offered and my perception of how much it will help me to improve... For many things, I wouldn't pay that. For others, I'd pay quite a bit more. Also, my number is just for the class, not "overall cost".

Lower-level, more commonly offered stuff, less. Higher-level, more specialized, smaller classes, top-notch teachers, a class that I know will bring in other students from whom I will learn, etc, more.

Hard to factor it in, but "overall cost" will play some role, as well -- easy to say I'd pay $500 for a particular class, but when that cost is really $500 + ammo + gas/airfare + hotel + strippers + expensive booze + midget chauffeur...

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I think it depends on the class. I wouldn't expect a basic class to cost the same as a more advanced class or a class that requires the instructor to supply a lot of the equipment.For me the decision of weather or not to take a class has more to do with the content,timing and location of the class than the cost. I prefer classes that I can drive to and complete in one day. The market will decide what the training is worth. A well known school with a good reputation and happy students will be able to charge more and fill their classes. An unknown school may have to charge less until the word gets out that they have a good product.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    If most of the time is hands on practical application I'm thinking in a group setting 8-1 student - teacher or higher $25 an hour supplying your own firearm/ammo/range fees.

Personal 1 on 1 the price could be $25/hr + all expenses up to $100/hr + all expenses.

Those are reasonable and affordable for me to go to 3 or so training days a year. Higher pricing may be reasonable but I only budget for 1 new gun a year and usually don't get any and that money goes towards ammo or something else. I don't have a "training" budget per say but I can usually scrape together a few hundred rounds and a few hundred dollars for a good saturday class.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    My issue with classes isn't necessarily the class price but the class price + hotel + food + gas + ammo. It adds up really, really quickly.

Assuming a 2 day class

Class - $200-400
    Hotel - $100
    Gas - $ 50
    Food - $ 40
    Ammo - $300-400

Total ~$700-1000

It is all the ancillary fees not necessarily associated with the class fee, ammo being the biggest cost. I usually find the class fee to be a bargain.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    $100-$150

When K9 Tala & I were involved in search & rescue (SAR), most training seminars were 3 or 4 days, and normally with 1 instructor for every 5 or 6 handler/K9 pairs. They normally ran about $75/day, which included lodging & meals. Please realize that 99% of folks in SAR are volunteers and most of the time the instructors only received travel money. Yes, I know most firearms instructors are in the business to make money, but, to me, anything above $150/day is a 'no go'.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Depends on the class. And the instructor. And maybe the facility. And how interested I am in those things. I have paid for classes in all of those price ranges. Most of them were worth what I paid.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    What is the safety of you and your loved ones worth??

Some misguided gun owners will never be willing to fork out money for anything that they can't hold in their hands like a shiny new gun or the latest wizzbang VFG for their AR. However, a lot of these people will also not think twice about taking their wives and kids to the latest Batman movie and dropping $100 on tickets and popcorn for 3 hours of entertainment.
    Go figure.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Here is some free training...

Don't rely on your handgun underwater...

IejlW.gif

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    After reading all the responses I think I need to raise my rates for private training.

Student to instructor ratio is one of the least appreciated factors in hands on firearms training.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    My issue with classes isn't necessarily the class price but the class price + hotel + food + gas + ammo. It adds up really, really quickly.

Assuming a 2 day class

Class - $200-400
    Hotel - $100
    Gas - $ 50
    Food - $ 40
    Ammo - $300-400

Total ~$700-1000

It is all the ancillary fees not necessarily associated with the class fee, ammo being the biggest cost. I usually find the class fee to be a bargain.

Yeah - I know. Imagine how much it is for the school. I pay my Instructors and pick up their hotel bills. Then I have website hosting, email service, phone, insurance, range fees, professional organization dues, vehicle, gas, targets, my own hotel and meals and ammo...and then I'm expected to be some sort of "expert" on this stuff, so I have to get my hands on lots of products and take lots of courses. And then there's all the non-paid time I put in answering emails and phone calls from students who just want to ask me questions. I'm happy to do it, but it's assumed once you're my student you get access to me when you need it. No problem, but it's not billed like your lawyer or doctor or mechanic is.

It costs real money to do this, and I don't know a single Instructor, including Ayoob, who is getting rich doing it.

Yeah - it's going to cost you money to train. In my opinion, only a fool would spend $600 on a pistol, shove it in a holster and walk around in public with it without a minimum of practical training in not only shooting, but legalities. If you think training is expensive, try 5 to 10 in State Prison.

There's a gun in this nation for every man, woman and child. There are millions of people with CCW permits. In theory, every school should be turning away clients right now...but most are struggling to break even. That speaks volumes about the mindset of the general gun carrying public. They are kidding themselves - money or no money - they are kidding themselves.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    $100-$150

When K9 Tala & I were involved in search & rescue (SAR), most training seminars were 3 or 4 days, and normally with 1 instructor for every 5 or 6 handler/K9 pairs. They normally ran about $75/day, which included lodging & meals. Please realize that 99% of folks in SAR are volunteers and most of the time the instructors only received travel money. Yes, I know most firearms instructors are in the business to make money, but, to me, anything above $150/day is a 'no go'.

No offence, but you're a bit out of touch with the costs. There is no way I'm going to cover hotel and meals for $75, let alone ANY of my other costs.

No problem if it's a "no go" for you, but the model you cite is a no go for us.

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    I just sold my M&P Shield to pay for more classes.

Training I get now will benefit me for the rest of my life. I would rather make the investment now, when money is tight, than wait and hope that I'll have money to burn on training at some undefined point in the future.

Besides, I finally got all the cool doodads I wanted for my AR......

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I'm expecting a raise next year, and will be setting aside half of that for training. I'm also looking into a couple of small side jobs that I'm hoping will bring in about $50 a month, so once every three to four months I can take a class just with that money.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I understand the point about class cost not being the sum total of training cost, but keep in mind that not all classes require student's to bring gear, guns and ammo. You can seek out combatives, knife, OC, and Force on Force classes where it's typical that some or all of the required gear is provided.

Yeah, you won't get to take a cool-guy rifle class, but I'll submit that Tactical Rifle classes have about 15% content that's relevant to daily personal defense. A good pistol class or something like I listed above will have a much, much higher percentage than that.

Travel and lodging costs are a consideration as well, but there are training opportunities all over Indiana. Mindset Laboratory is located downtown Indy which is only a few hours from most areas of the state. I think a lot of gun owners envision training as only being available at some distant school that they will have to get on an airplane to attend.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    Well, most of my training was provided by Uncle Sam.

However, my main issue is finding some private land where I can still practice what I have learned. And lets face it, knowledge IS power.... the more you know the better off you are. I agree with everyone's statements that good quality items, such as training, will and should be expensive -you get what you pay for. I live on a fairly tight budget at the moment. I work at a Honda dealer as a service tech and my pay has flat-lined since the economy took a hit (still hasn't rebounded). I have a ton of classes I want to take, but I do not have the means to do so at this current time.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Well I had a chance to really dig through your site, your prices look great and I would love to take one sometime. People don't seem to have a good grasp on business realities these days, I'm impressed you're only charging what you are, particularly for something so potentially valuable.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Well I had a chance to really dig through your site, your prices look great and I would love to take one sometime. People don't seem to have a good grasp on business realities these days, I'm impressed you're only charging what you are, particularly for something so potentially valuable.

It's great that you think that. And I'm happy that you're interested in training with me.

But I really am interested in the (lack of) perceived value of training. New guns have a very high perceived value. There always seems to be money for new guns.

There have been a few times on INGO recently where someone has stated that training is too expensive and that instructors should give classes for free. I see no such calls for guns to be free. Or ammo to be free. Or Aimpoints or Pmags or any other tangible item. Training has a low perceived value for most gun owners.

It's worth noting that the survey is going to be skewed because this is posted in the Tactics and Training section so there is at least some interest in training from the people who frequent here.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom