• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Instead of moving this waste to poor rural Indiana, why not make a statement and haul it to Pete Bootyplug’s neighborhood and have it dumped in South Bend? Haven’t been there in 20 years, but is the old Bendix/ Raybestose brake location still empty? Maybe north of the toll road?

Sadly for the people in East Palestine Ohio they are not near a developing city where they could take advantage of the Brownfield program. The government can change cleanup requirements and provide federal money to cities that want to turn old industrial sites that are contaminated into saleable property for development. At the stroke of a pen, land that had negative value now becomes gold.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I don't know the ins and outs of it, but I would assume it's going to affect stock prices at some point.
    I can’t speak specifically for other industries, but utilities over the last 15 years have cut general maintenance and replacements to near zero due to cost. Any storm damage or damaged from other means is written off. They now hope to not know of bad infrastructure and pray it is taken out in the next storm for the sole purpose of saving money. I would guess any business with large amounts of expensive infrastructure prefer to replace under damage for the write off rather than do regular timed maintenance.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I can’t speak specifically for other industries, but utilities over the last 15 years have cut general maintenance and replacements to near zero due to cost. Any storm damage or damaged from other means is written off. They now hope to not know of bad infrastructure and pray it is taken out in the next storm for the sole purpose of saving money. I would guess any business with large amounts of expensive infrastructure prefer to replace under damage for the write off rather than do regular timed maintenance.
    We must be lucky. KVREMC has been upgrading the substation and replacing poles by us.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I got curious and looked up some stats on train derailments and was shocked at how often it happens.

From 1990-2021 there were 54,539 derailments, an average of about 1,700 per year. How are we not hearing about this more?

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I got curious and looked up some stats on train derailments and was shocked at how often it happens.

From 1990-2021 there were 54,539 derailments, an average of about 1,700 per year. How are we not hearing about this more?
    Because the vast majority are simply unremarkable. Send out a crew and re-rail the car(s) and move on.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

They didn't need a new distraction until now...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Top Bottom