Traffic stop, officer confiscated my firearms.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    Made perfect sense, and it's always good to hear from the LEOs that aren't gnawing at the bit to pull over everyone and give them suspect tickets. As long as you don't tase old ladies, and people that irritate you too, you have the right idea in my book. lol

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    We can't fall into the trap of a mad girlriend calling 911 and saying her boyfriend is east on Washington Ave. drunk. What do they say about hell knows no fury than that of a mad woman (someone correct me). A reasonable ammount of suspicion might work in some cases but not others. PC and RAS can come in different forms. For instance a driver calls and states she just saw a guy strike a girl in a car. There is both PC and RAS to stop the car. Also in that case the officer would be obligated by law to stop and check the welfare of the female.

Just tonight we had a call on a car driving slow on US 41. The officers arrived and saw the car driving slow. It turned out to be a couple that was lost. PC was established because the officers saw the car driving slow.

Now if we receive a call that a blue camaro with Illinois plate XXX - 123 is driving all over the road. The officer see the car and watches it and everything appears great. He still has to establish PC for the stop.

I have never minded stopping cars. You would have to go some distance to get a ticket from me (reckless driving, speed contest, following too close). I stop a lot of cars for minor violations and give a lot of warnings. I do check for license status and insurance. But I always have PC for the stop
    One thing I'm still trying to learn after all these years is how to decipher and articulate PC and RAS to an officer who may be trying to step all over my rights.

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County
    Just tonight we had a call on a car driving slow on US 41. The officers arrived and saw the car driving slow. It turned out to be a couple that was lost. PC was established because the officers saw the car driving slow.

I always thought probable cause was relative to some criminal activity. Am I wrong? Or is driving slow a crime?

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    What do they say about hell knows no fury than that of a mad woman (someone correct me).

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned," (This is usually paraphrased as "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned")

But yeah, we get your point :)

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh

I always thought probable cause was relative to some criminal activity. Am I wrong? Or is driving slow a crime?

If you are driving 20 mph in a 50 zone that would be enough PC to stop. There is a statute (9 21 8 52) for reckless driving that has a provision for driving too slow. That is a class B misd.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    We can't fall into the trap of a mad girlriend calling 911 and saying her boyfriend is east on Washington Ave. drunk. What do they say about hell knows no fury than that of a mad woman (someone correct me). A reasonable ammount of suspicion might work in some cases but not others. PC and RAS can come in different forms. For instance a driver calls and states she just saw a guy strike a girl in a car. There is both PC and RAS to stop the car. Also in that case the officer would be obligated by law to stop and check the welfare of the female.

Now if we receive a call that a blue camaro with Illinois plate XXX - 123 is driving all over the road. The officer see the car and watches it and everything appears great. He still has to establish PC for the stop.

I have never minded stopping cars. You would have to go some distance to get a ticket from me (reckless driving, speed contest, following too close). I stop a lot of cars for minor violations and give a lot of warnings. I do check for license status and insurance. But I always have PC for the stop

The standard for any stop is reasonable suspicion, PC is the standard for arrest or getting a warrant. Under the current caselaw, I believe an uncorroborated anonymous 911 caller has been held to not be sufficient for RS and so a stop cannot be made on it. However, if the person has named themself, so as to open themself up to false informing if they are lying, and there are corroborative details, that normally does equal RS.

Best,

Joe

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    i've called in several "drunk drivers" and more than once dispatch has had me stay on the line to give turn by turn directions to get a leo there. Once at night it was requested i turn on my hazards so the cop could find me. he turned around to get behind me i pulled to the side so he could get behind the person and pull them over.
    another time I had a cop call me back about an hour after I had talked to him. the person he pulled over blew 3 times the legal limit and the leo needed my info incase i was needed in court or something.

I always give dispatch, make/model of the car, the lic plate number, the color of the car. and a complete description of what it was doing. I never say "hes driving crazy" I say "They are swerving a lot, he will ride the shoulder line and then jump to the center line and weave back and fourth. Speed is inconsistent he speeds up and slows down. quickly, he has crossed the center line " etc.

My favorite was when a dispatch person asked me to describe the car after I gave her the lic number. My answer was "Sure, its a sheriff car, car number XXX" the reply was "uh, its a what?" I gave he turn by turn directions to the person house. it was in a cookie cutter neighborhood so i had to turn around and drive back out, when i passed his house again there was a leo with and suv parked half way on the sidewalk have in the street and both cops were leaning on their cars chatting.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    i've called in several "drunk drivers" and more than once dispatch has had me stay on the line to give turn by turn directions to get a leo there. Once at night it was requested i turn on my hazards so the cop could find me. he turned around to get behind me i pulled to the side so he could get behind the person and pull them over.
    another time I had a cop call me back about an hour after I had talked to him. the person he pulled over blew 3 times the legal limit and the leo needed my info incase i was needed in court or something.

I always give dispatch, make/model of the car, the lic plate number, the color of the car. and a complete description of what it was doing. I never say "hes driving crazy" I say "They are swerving a lot, he will ride the shoulder line and then jump to the center line and weave back and fourth. Speed is inconsistent he speeds up and slows down. quickly, he has crossed the center line " etc.

My favorite was when a dispatch person asked me to describe the car after I gave her the lic number. My answer was "Sure, its a sheriff car, car number XXX" the reply was "uh, its a what?" I gave he turn by turn directions to the person house. it was in a cookie cutter neighborhood so i had to turn around and drive back out, when i passed his house again there was a leo with and suv parked half way on the sidewalk have in the street and both cops were leaning on their cars chatting.

You ever check on the outcome?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    This thread is still alive....

WHY?

He screwed up....
    He tried to defend himself....

HE LOST, yet we still feed this and rehash it like a hungry troll sitting along
    the side of a lonely road, that has been bypassed for a newer improved road
    that has no bridge for the troll to patrol.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    This thread is still alive....

WHY?

He screwed up....
    He tried to defend himself....

HE LOST, yet we still feed this and rehash it like a hungry troll sitting along
    the side of a lonely road, that has been bypassed for a newer improved road
    that has no bridge for the troll to patrol.

troll_face_gif.gif

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

I am bringing this back to life .... Irahm, I have a question, I told a Deputy, back in 1976, or 77, that I saw a guy, hit a girl in a car in the parking lot ... He gave chase, and the girl, refused to press charges... my question is, with the Domestic violence Law, what would happen today ?????

Reggywill

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Indy (Westside)
    Being a .07, it was at the officers discression to give you a DUI or not. Consider yourself lucky that you didn't spend the night in jail and a couple months without a license.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I am bringing this back to life .... Irahm, I have a question, I told a Deputy, back in 1976, or 77, that I saw a guy, hit a girl in a car in the parking lot ... He gave chase, and the girl, refused to press charges... my question is, with the Domestic violence Law, what would happen today ?????

The way is is presently.. If one of the people showed signs of injury and let's say they are married. He has beaten the crap out of her, then he would go to jail. She would be offered safe haven. She would be notified when he got out of jail and might stay in jail until he appears in court (hope it's not a long weekend).

Several years ago, domestic battery laws changed greatley. Officers are now obligated to take actions where as back in 76 or 77 they did not.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I lost 70% of my ability to walk because some JERK was behind the wheel of a car who was drinking and driving. I sure as hell wish on August 05 1985 someone called the police on the person who ran into me and put me in the hospital for two months and years of physical therapy to learn how to walk all over again. You should feel lucky something didn't happen to someone like what happen to me because .07 would of ment a hell of a lot more in court. Leave your guns and kids at home if you are going to drink and get behind the well of a car. Better yet leave your guns lock up if you are going to drink!!!

Last edited:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I lost 70% of my ability to walk because some JERK was behind the wheel of a car who was drinking and driving. I sure as hell wish on August 05 1985 someone called the police on the person who ran into me and put me in the hospital for two months and years of physical therapy to learn how to walk all over again. You should feel lucky something didn't happen to someone like what happen to me because .07 would of ment a hell of a lot more in court. Leave your guns and kids at home if you are going to drink and get behind the well of a car. Better yet leave your guns lock up if you are going to drink!!!

I am sorry for what you went through. My feelings exactly. I don't think that there are too many people that grasp the idea that even one drink will effect your ability to react or reason correctly. That at .07 % BAC an officer can lock a person up if he can show and is able to verbalize impairment. That a PBT might be off and a "datamaster" will show a correct level. The PBT is just a tool as is SFST's.

You have my sympathy. I see too many people and families ruined because others think they won't get caught, they are too smart for the police or feel that they are not drunk. They are stupid. They know that "if I get behind that wheel, I could get picked up but I don't see any harm and I will be safe getting home".

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I am sorry for what you went through. My feelings exactly. I don't think that there are too many people that grasp the idea that even one drink will effect your ability to react or reason correctly. That at .07 % BAC an officer can lock a person up if he can show and is able to verbalize impairment. That a PBT might be off and a "datamaster" will show a correct level. The PBT is just a tool as is SFST's.

You have my sympathy. I see too many people and families ruined because others think they won't get caught, they are too smart for the police or feel that they are not drunk. They are stupid. They know that "if I get behind that wheel, I could get picked up but I don't see any harm and I will be safe getting home".

Thank you... What blows my mind is this guy feels his rights were violated!!!The minute he got behind the wheel thinking he was alright to drive he lost his rights! I commend the officer for not giving his gun back to him. How stupid do you have to be to be caring a gun when you are drinking! Do people realize guns are not toys? He was VERY LUCK with what happen to him and not getting into more trouble then he did. .07 ether way there was a point were he was on the road with a point .08 blood count. The jerk who ran into me got off LUCKY!!! in my eyes. He had to pay for my bills for the recovery time 27 years ago but the amount of bills I have rack up over the last six years because of his mistake has come out of my pocket and now I can't even get insurance to cover my disabilities caused from this drunk driver. It feels great to only be in my young 40's and have to walk with a cane or crutches. Living in chronic pain and spending most of my time laying on my back because of the artheritis and my spine and hips rotting away is not the way I wanted to spend my life. I hope you lose your CCW permit, because it take a responsible person to own a firearem!!! Sorry I went on a rant here, but I guess I am a little bitter about what happen to me. One last thing INGO, I can't believe there are people out there who screw up but yet they try to put the blame on others and fail to see there own mistake. None of this would of happen to him if he WASN"T DRINKING:wallbash:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Thank you... What blows my mind is this guy feels his rights were violated!!!The minute he got behind the wheel thinking he was alright to drive he lost his rights! I commend the officer for not giving his gun back to him. How stupid do you have to be to be caring a gun when you are drinking! Do people realize guns are not toys? He was VERY LUCK with what happen to him and not getting into more trouble then he did. .07 ether way there was a point were he was on the road with a point .08 blood count. The jerk who ran into me got off LUCKY!!! in my eyes. He had to pay for my bills for the recovery time 27 years ago but the amount of bills I have rack up over the last six years because of his mistake has come out of my pocket and now I can't even get insurance to cover my disabilities caused from this drunk driver. It feels great to only be in my young 40's and have to walk with a cane or crutches. Living in chronic pain and spending most of my time laying on my back because of the artheritis and my spine and hips rotting away is not the way I wanted to spend my life. I hope you lose your CCW permit, because it take a responsible person to own a firearem!!! Sorry I went on a rant here, but I guess I am a little bitter about what happen to me. One last thing INGO, I can't believe there are people out there who screw up but yet they try to put the blame on others and fail to see there own mistake. None of this would of happen to him if he WASN"T DRINKING:wallbash:
    ^^^^^ This to everyone who thinks thaey can handle their drinking. +1 already given.

Top Bottom