• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    If the last ordinances didn't help, will another one be the answer?

I'm agreeing with you. But the ordinance in this thread makes it illegal to stand around quietly on a public sidewalk with a controversial shirt on, 299 feet from the funeral.

You've obviously never been there. It's not like that at all. They are as obnoxious as they can be. They are as rude as they can possibly be. No ordinance - no law - no amount of reason at all is going to deter these people.

If someone walks up to you and calls your wife a whore, right in your face, then steps back and says "I'm just exercising my first amendment right to free speech." What do you do? I can tell you what that person would be doing - using their 1A rights as fodder for the prosecution in my battery case.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    They did exactly that, with their signs (you know, with words 'n stuff) until lots of people who didn't want to deal with free speech legislated them (unconstitutionally in my opinion) on down the road. What's the point of free speech if the people you're directing it at can't hear you or see it? None. So they grabbed their air horns.

And I'd vote to acquit you if I was on your jury.

Son, you've obviously never been there either. They were not content to hold signs. They were hurling insults, calling people names, screaming during services to the extent you couldn't even hear the minister. PLEASE tell me you don't think that's legal and/or right. How is that not disturbing the peace, inciting a riot, any of a dozen things I can think of. Only because this is a political bombshell - somehow in bizzarro world - are the hands of LEO tied.

I will give you this - it shouldn't be a legislative issue. It shouldn't be an ordinance issue. It shouldn't even be a court case issue. Comon decency and some large brothers and cousins would remove the rude people and convince them they weren't welcome at a private gathering. No lawyers, no police, no judge, just someone taking care of a bully.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You've obviously never been there. It's not like that at all. They are as obnoxious as they can be. They are as rude as they can possibly be. No ordinance - no law - no amount of reason at all is going to deter these people.

If someone walks up to you and calls your wife a whore, right in your face, then steps back and says "I'm just exercising my first amendment right to free speech." What do you do? I can tell you what that person would be doing - using their 1A rights as fodder for the prosecution in my battery case.

Then you'd be exactly where they wanted you.

Sticks and stones and stuff.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Son, you've obviously never been there either. They were not content to hold signs. They were hurling insults, calling people names, screaming during services to the extent you couldn't even hear the minister. PLEASE tell me you don't think that's legal and/or right. How is that not disturbing the peace, inciting a riot, any of a dozen things I can think of. Only because this is a political bombshell - somehow in bizzarro world - are the hands of LEO tied.

I will give you this - it shouldn't be a legislative issue. It shouldn't be an ordinance issue. It shouldn't even be a court case issue. Comon decency and some large brothers and cousins would remove the rude people and convince them they weren't welcome at a private gathering. No lawyers, no police, no judge, just someone taking care of a bully.

:rolleyes:

Your condescending tone, boy, isn't helping your cause. Especially when you don't know where I've been or not. In fact I've been to a few funerals over the years. One of them they were at. They weren't nearly as disruptive as you're claiming they are. But that was a few years ago, before they were legislated on down the road. But even if they were that disruptive ... I thought you didn't mind "free speech", but minded "air horns"? Now it's raising their voices, too. I revert back to the "you don't get to decide what's appropriate speech for a protest you're not a part of."

Why don't you just come out and say it? You don't approve of speech that offends your sensibilities.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County

Your condescending tone, boy, isn't helping your cause. Especially when you don't know where I've been or not. In fact I've been to a few funerals over the years. One of them they were at. They weren't nearly as disruptive as you're claiming they are. But even if they were... I thought you didn't mind "free speech", but minded "air horns"? Now it's raising their voices, too.

Why don't you just come out and say it? You don't approve of speech that offends your sensibilities.

You have your right to protest in the spirit the 1A was written. You do not have the right to insult me. Period.

I'm glad they behaved themselves at the funeral you attended, they typically do not. Are you sure it was the same group?

"son" (not boy) was assuming i'm much older than you - no offense meant.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You have your right to protest in the spirit the 1A was written. You do not have the right to insult me. Period.

I'm glad they behaved themselves at the funeral you attended, they typically do not. Are you sure it was the same group?

"boy" was assuming i'm much older than you - no offense meant.

As a matter of fact, I have EVERY right to insult you. I have the right to insult you, your mother, your father, and everything you hold dear. At least in a public venue.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    So, you would let someone get in your face and call your wife a whore? You would do nothing. Really.

Hurling words? I wouldn't do anything except leave. My assets are worth more to me than handing them over to someone simply because I couldn't be the bigger man and tune out a douche bag. Attacking me or my wife? I will defend her and I from a physical attack.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I wouldn't advise it. There are laws against slander. Not all "speech" is protected by the 1A.

edited: in response to edit: I like how you edited your post to add the part about slander rather than just being puffy-chested and vaguely threatening.

Good luck with the slander case if someone insults you. Those are very, very difficult cases to actually win.

Last edited:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Hurling words? I wouldn't do anything except leave. My assets are worth more to me than handing them over to someone simply because I couldn't be the bigger man and tune out a douche bag. Attacking me or my wife? I will defend her and I from a physical attack.

That would be the grown up response.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County

I admire your intestinal fortitude and restraint. I really do. There are times when bullys must be handled. Either physically or legally. I agree that's the best thing to do...can't say that at a funeral, if it were my son lying dead in a coffin, my mom in a wheelchair sobbing uncontrollably, if someone screamed "****** SOLDIER" in my ear that I would care about anything but shutting the SOB up at the moment.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I admire your intestinal fortitude and restraint. I really do. There are times when bullys must be handled. Either physically or legally. I agree that's the best thing to do...can't say that at a funeral, if it were my son lying dead in a coffin, my mom in a wheelchair sobbing uncontrollably, if someone screamed "****** SOLDIER" in my ear that I would care about anything but shutting the SOB up at the moment.

And I too appreciate that. I really do. That's why I'd vote to acquit you if I was on your jury. Some people deserve what they get. But it's not the government's place to tell us what we can and can't say or where, when or how we can say it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

And this is one of the arguments that the left uses to ban carrying guns. You'll just go off and shoot somebody because they yelled at you or cut you off in traffic. You're a loose cannon to them and cannot be trusted.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County

Offensive words don't give you the right to beat someone's ***. I may acquit people if they're on trial for beating someone that pisses them off, but I'm not most people. Most people will convict you for that.

If you live to get there.

edited: in response to edit: I like how you edited your post to add the part about slander rather than just being puffy-chested and vaguely threatening.

Good luck with the slander case if someone insults you. Those are very, very difficult cases to actually win.

I'll refer you to the response I've already left. From what I can see, my day has nearly past. When a bully insults you, your family and your dead son right at the grave side, your first thought is your assets and your right to carry a firearm. Then, I guess my day has truly passed. Common decency and requiring those around you to show respect as you do - those days are gone. Fear of losing my right to carry is more important than honor. Punk kids were corrected by whom ever was nearest in times past, but not now.

So, I suppose I should take my antiquated ways, retreat to my private property, close the gate, and stay there. Sounds pretty good to me.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'll refer you to the response I've already left. From what I can see, my day has nearly past. When a bully insults you, your family and your dead son right at the grave side, your first thought is your assets and your right to carry a firearm. Then, I guess my day has truly passed. Common decency and requiring those around you to show respect as you do - those days are gone. Fear of losing my right to carry is more important than honor. Punk kids were corrected by whom ever was nearest in times past, but not now.

So, I suppose I should take my antiquated ways, retreat to my private property, close the gate, and stay there. Sounds pretty good to me.

Do you have kids? Have they ever thrown a fit for no other reason than to get your attention? Sometimes, the best punishment is to simply ignore them.

Top Bottom