• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    92FS or M9, served me well no matter the conditions. I have fired them in rain, snow, cold of the winter or even the sandy mess of Kuwait. Never have I had a problem.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I'm happy to take this down if it's already out there.
    What's your take on the toughest, most rugged, reliable, end of the world, semi-auto pistol out there? 1911 is not an option.

??

You ask what the most reliable pistol is, and then say that the most reliable pistol isn't an option??

You should therefore ask "what is the SECOND most reliable pistol?"

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Well, most of you aren't going to like my answer....It's the Hi-Point....just go on youtube and check out the 5 part torture test.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    25038d1297431023-glocks-should-banned-u-s-glock5.jpg

25041d1297431085-glocks-should-banned-u-s-glock17.jpg

yeah glocks.

What did the Jackey operator do to make this happen?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm happy to take this down if it's already out there.
    What's your take on the toughest, most rugged, reliable, end of the world, semi-auto pistol out there? 1911 is not an option.

Look, there are MANY quality pistols that run like sewing machines, if maintained well. As a LE firearms instructor I have seen what officers carry to the range. At my previous dept we were allowed to carry what we wanted while on duty and a few carried Sigs and HK's. They ran well and are great guns but they tended to pool moisture around the hammer and would oxidize. Before the merger, Marion County Sheriff SWAT carried Kimbers and they required a ton of maintenance to keep them running. We get rained on a lot and those guns required a daily wipe down with oil to prevent oxidation. I carry Glocks at work currently. For the extreme environments we are subjected to, there is not substitute. Many years ago I ran a thousand rounds through my G23c with no oil and no cleaning to see if I could make it fail (way back when ammo was cheap). It got so fouled up that I could hardly pull the trigger and had no reset but it still ran. I used to wear a G27 on my ankle at work and one night I was tracking bad guys with a K9. It was pouring out and the track led us to a creek. We ended up wading knee deep down the middle of the creek for quite a while. My G27 was full of mud, sand, water. By the time I got home, I was too exhausted to care. I threw it on the dresser and went to bed. Next day I tore it apart, no ill effects. I kind of wished I took it to the range like that and fired it. A smidge of oil and my G22 is GTG for a LONG time. Rain, freezing, sand, mud, it will still keep running. Just my :twocents:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    If I was going to label one as the toughest/ most reliable/ most durable it would be the cz tac sport 9mm. I have had sigs and 1911's, I own an hk, several glocks, a cz shadow, and and fns-9mm. But the tac sport is based off a gun chambered in .45, sO dimensionally it overbuilt. Cz durability is well known,

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I'm thinking the Russian Grach. They designed it to fire +P+ ammo all day every day. Besides, anything Russian is built like a tank. :D

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    If I absolutely, positively needed a gun to go bang, I'd reach for my Ruger P89. If it didn't go bang...I know I'm out of ammo and can use it as a club.

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I'd have to say the Hi-power from personal experience since revolvers aren't on the list. Carried one for roughly 10 years in the 90's and have the non-option variety, S&W MP.45, XD9 and Glock gen 3 19.

I haven't used the S&W or XD much so can't give an honest evaluation on those other than to say there were no failures after firing a few hundred rounds.

Do to some serious flaming on another board I won't delve deeply into it but the utmost least reliable I have experience with is the Glock 19. Maybe it is a fluke or whatever you want to call it. I've seen all the torture test and hub bub and can guarantee you the one I have would not pass a basic one. Suffice it to say a major new part is on it's way back after a trip to Glock.

Any gun is a roll of the dice and I wouldn't consider any of them reliable without serious personal use before using one for EDC.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Not pretty. Not a tack driver. Heavy. Absolutely no bragging rights. Any of the Ruger "P" series. (Makarov is a very close second.)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'd definitely go with Glock. I don't like them 'cause they don't fit my hands but of the 5 I've owned I never had any problems at all with them. They got used, abused, and neglected intentionally 'cause they're fugly as it gets but dependable work horses.

c604

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgantown
    I will go with any of the HK P7 series, they even used to advertise them in the early 80's that they will function without an extractor because of the fluted chamber.

Top Bottom